Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Saw this in news paper
An Edmonton couple thought they had finally found their dream RV when they spotted an online classified ad in July of 2017. A month later their dream vehicle had been seized by police and they were out over $19,000.
I saw that, they met the guy in a WalMart parking lot and the vin was defaced, yet they STILL bought it.

If I'm buying a big ticket item, I'm coming right to your place to check it out, if not, NO DEAL!

Hard to feel bad for some people
Old 03-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
In the Edmonton Area most of the stolen trucks mine being one ,has been stolen 5 times.
You SERIOUSLY need to look at aftermarket theft deterrents.

They can be had for as little at $20 and the options are endless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Immobil...8AAOSwAC1aNYr5
Old 03-19-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Who would do those beheadings, I wonder? It would have to be a rather large man with a lot of strength so as not to botch it with the first blow. Or maybe sadistic enough to hack it off- although some folks are a bit too squeamish for that stuff. It would have to be someone who looks good in a black head wrapping. Also someone who has a lot of time on his hands and a machine shop to keep his make his blades and keep them sharp. Maybe own some drone mounted cameras to catch the action, plus the skills to post the videos on the internet.

Of course a (person) with a background in law and order and a sense of civic pride would be an ideal candidate. A guy with few friends and no close relatives would be best but not a stumbling block for enlistment. Also he (or she) would have to be trainable on a portable crematorium and a backhoe. Think of the recruitment campaign! Be fun to do the interviews.

But I digress. The topic is the disposition of stolen goods, not your desire to execute anyone you don't like.

Free
Last week a 78 year old farmer down the road from us heard a noise in his yard so he went out to investigate. He found 4 prowlers, who proceeded to kick the stuffing out of him and he is still in the hospital as far as I know. What do you think is a suitable punishment/deterrent for these thieves? If the police do find out who is responsible, I would bet $1000 that at least one of them has been convicted of something already and another $1000 that at least one them lives NW of Crimson Lake.

I wouldn't jeopardize my own freedom or the financial well being of my family to hurt a thief, but if it was sanctioned by the government, I would have no problem tripping the guillotine on anyone who could beat and kick an old man and leave him for dead.

I know, he should have hid in the house, called the police, and let his insurance company look after things. I'm sure that's easier said than done when your property is being invaded.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Banned

We had some POS thieves go through town again last night between 4-6am. Just saw a notice on Facebook, we had fresh snow last night and had no tracks in our yard but I guess a few of the neighbors got hit.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
We had some POS thieves go through town again last night between 4-6am. Just saw a notice on Facebook, we had fresh snow last night and had no tracks in our yard but I guess a few of the neighbors got hit.
Just heard that some of the residents corned the thieves (5) and held them until the RCMP arrived. No pics of the scum posted as some minors were involved.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 PM

Was talking to a neighbour by Claresholm today who just had $40,000 worth of stuff stolen from shop and house while they were not home. John Deere GPS unit, welders etc. They stole his UFA card with PIN and bought $6000 of fuel with it for a week from Pincher Creek to High Level before anyone clued in. Not one UFA fuel station managed to get anything on camera, although one farmer up north commented on the guy in front of him filling about 30 Jerry cans. Nobody bothered to check it out.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
Was talking to a neighbour by Claresholm today who just had $40,000 worth of stuff stolen from shop and house while they were not home. John Deere GPS unit, welders etc. They stole his UFA card with PIN and bought $6000 of fuel with it for a week from Pincher Creek to High Level before anyone clued in. Not one UFA fuel station managed to get anything on camera, although one farmer up north commented on the guy in front of him filling about 30 Jerry cans. Nobody bothered to check it out.

How do you steal a card along with its PIN number? Anyone who writes a PIN # down on any kind of card deserves the consequences if a thief gets hold of it. The pin is designed to protect both the vendor and the authorized user from fraud, bypassing that protection is colossally dumb.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 PM

Ya. He had it written down in the house.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 PM

Could you place this 100 years ago? Every Tree would have someone hanging from it! Maybe not a bad idea! I think.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 PM

Ya! Maybe NOT! to much pigeon and magpie **** over everything!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 PM

But again that's what they are! Maybe I figured it out!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Anyone who writes a PIN # down on any kind of card deserves the consequences if a thief gets hold of it. The pin is designed to protect both the vendor and the authorized user from fraud, bypassing that protection is colossally dumb.
Nobody deserves to have anything stolen. Lots of older people write their pin #'s down on a piece of paper in their purse or someplace even on the card unfortunately. Some have difficulty remembering those things especially seniors. Saying they deserve to have their money stolen because of it is pretty rude. Heck I can't even remember my password here nor where I put the piece of paper I wrote it down on.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Found; snowmobile. Polaris. JRX23. Called the Mounties in spruce grove this am. Is on a utility trailer. Could be mechanical issue with trailer of course but it looks out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock