Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Thanks a whole bunch. Great pics and story.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKD View Post
The entire hunting industry in RSA shops for Kudu at SPAR (local Safeway). Look closely they all have a bar code on the horn bases.

You got an incredible Kudu and you have to run down an entire countries hunting industry because it makes your trophy bigger, better... You're a better hunter... Really????

I'll reflect some of your attitude for your own consumption.

Getting a Leopard like that during a drought year was actually due to a FEEDING program vs being baited.
Success like that in an area unknown to the PH... Got to really wonder don't you.

Celebrate your incredible LUCK and success and leave it at that.
Actually I say what I said because it is very hard to find a Kudu like that outside of RSA. It wasn't to brag, it was to show (1) how good the genetics were in this area. (2) how fortunate it was to find the holy grail and I felt lucky and honoured to be a part of successfully taking a kudu like that.

Obviously you know a little about RSA as you stated that they are bought and sold at auctions live on the hoof to be sold to the hunt farms. To get a big Kudu on some of those places is like going to Saskatchewan and shooting one in a high fenced hunting area. If your proud of your trophy after that then that is fine with me. To me personally I son't get excited about it. Have I done it? Yes and I would rather not. I call it collecting and having a little bit of fun. If you want to call it hunting then that is fine with me.

As for putting things in perspective on the Leopard. I have no idea what you are talking about. The leopard was not fed and tied to a tree for me to go and shoot. You think they just have feeding stations that they keep feeding the bests at with $2.50 a pound steaks and rosts to keep the leopards happy?

I could care less if there is a drought year or not. REally I don't understand what a drought year is since where I was it is usually a drought all the time. Doesn't seem like Zim has a pile of water laying around. Not that I saw or evidence of much in the past as well!

As for luck with a PH that has never been there. I don't think it was that as well. Thierry was voted top PH last year!!! He knows the game and is a hard hunter. Both of us hunted very hard. Some days we did not even eat lunch. We hunted every second we had which is unlike a lot of PH's and guides. Thierry knows his stuff and I has a very keen eye. I ended up killing a few animals that I did not see and he new they were there. The Game scouts and trackers did the same as well. I felt very much that I was hunting with the very best hunters I could get. As a TEAM we did very well. These are not just my trophies. They are a TEAM effort and I am very proud to be a part of a fantastic hunt. I think it would be very hard to top this one.
I will celbrate MKD. Not for my luck but for a combination of things that made this experience one of the best hunts I have ever been on and very proud to have some awesome trophies and some experiences that a lot of guys don't often get a chance to be a part of.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Great cat! That looks like it would have been a blast!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedave3 View Post
Sorry, I just find this slaughter disgusting.........and I am a hunter. Like whats the point?
All the villages that were fed by this "slaughter" as you put it are probably very happy about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hey Stinky it has been a while!! lol
It has, I know u know but just so it's clear to rest of world, my 'holy crap' really means what an incredible adventure loaded with trophies that look as though it might take 10 adventures to pull off! Outstanding! We should hit a mountain sometime. Later
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Banned

Default What a hunt

I was on the hunt with Nube...along with my wife..
I have hunted in every continent except antarticq, and have been blessed with abut 200+ hunts...
This was, without a doubt, one of the best ever!!!
One point Nube forgot to bring up, was the place we hunter..it's called Nunetsi, and was a huge part of Zimbabwe politics..
Several years ago, Mugabe started to lose his grasp on things, and made a deal with the leader of the opposition, in order to appease the public. They formed a coalition government, with the minority leader in power of certain parts of minority roles. This was his personal ranch, which was at one point 1.3 million hectares...
He was mysteriously killed several years ago, and the ranch was held in a trust, and operated as a working cattle ranch. 7 years ago, they separated the cattle out of 900,000 acres, and started building waterholes, and brought in abeam of biologists.. It has been one of the greatest wildlife experiments in the history of Africa!!
This Ranch paid for the darting and capture of a lot of animals from Hwange National Park, which is arguably the best/second best park in the world for Elephants and Lions...in addition, the ranch has paid for approximately 60% of the waterholes in Hwange National park, and still maintains them, although they are about a 20 hour drive away.
So, the comment about it being a drought year is simply idiotic....obviously you know nothing about the facts here....
We basically drew a lottery tag on this hunt, as, Phil mentioned, we were to hunt on two other places..due to the current political land Nationalization, we were in serious jeopardy of not hunting at all. The board of directors of Nunetsi decided to allow hunters, for the first time in 7 years, as opposed to waiting for next year. We were the second group to hunt this amazing ranch, in over seven years.
The hunting was world class, as was the accommodations, PH's, etc...
I have hunted in 8 countries in Africa, several times, and it was, without a doubt, the most amazing Africa hunt yet.
I have rebooked for this August, and I am taking my wife again, as well as our children.
Google the history of Nunesti Ranch, it's very intriguing! Very historical, and very political, with a real conspiracy theory....
A great place in the world!!
Phil, if you have some time, post my photos as well
-and if you have some, post the photos of the three rivers and countless waterholes and pumps, so everyone knows this guy is a meatball...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Awesome hunt thread. Amazed by the pics.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM

That leopard might top your grizzly bear Nube,amazing keep the pics coming.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM

I will post up some pics of Dino's critters and some others when I have a moment. I have been busy the last few days and will be tied up for a few more so bare with me if you can and I will post some more once I get some time on my hands.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Here are a few pics that I had for Dino. I will try and get a bunch more when he sends them to me. I was jelous when he brought his Kudu in to camp a few days before I got mine. It is a real good one.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM

Nube/Dino:

I exchanded private messages with Brent L this past week. I thought you would want to know they are finally getting some very good rains in the past 2 weeks.

I am going to Mozambique in 14' but would like to take my son to Africa in 16' to hunt plains game in an area that has DG that can be observed. Give Nuanetsi 5-10 years and I think it will rival the BVC. Brent says they have brought in a herd of 40 cow/calf elephants (from BVC) and that they had a group of 10 or so bulls "break in" to the area as a result. You will be suprised at how fast those 50 elephants will reproduce.

The only thing left to introduce is lions but Brent says they need to add one more electric wire to the perimeter fence before they do so....sounds like it is in the works though.

As far as the buffalo he estimated the population at 1000+ and that they range throughout the 360,000 acre "game section" of the ranch as the perimeter fence has been completed and the "buffalo boma" fence now removed.

Would you 2 gentlemen keep me posted on any new developments at Nuanetsi?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Not a problem Nyala hunter. Brent is an awesome guy!! I can't say enough good about him. He really helped Thierry and I a ton to get a bunch of cats on bait.
When I was there the Buffalo area was not opened up yet. They did that a week after we left.
There were Elephants already in there. They had moved in and we saw them a few times. They sure make a mess of the trees!!

We killed one lion while we were there. It had moved into the area because the game was doing well in that area. It was a 4 or 5 year old lion and must have been kicked out of it's pride. The area next to us has a few on quota I think and the Bubye area is known for a pile as well.

I have wanted to hunt Moz. but it is a bit steeper in price. They have awesome species there. For a wild African experience for plainsgame I would hunt the Save, Nuanetsi or Bubye areas. You get DG plus a pile of good quality plainsgame. Yes it may cost a bit more than SA but it is worth it and the experience will be 3x as good in my view. Good luck with your hunt. I look forward to a report.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Not a problem Nyala hunter. Brent is an awesome guy!! I can't say enough good about him. He really helped Thierry and I a ton to get a bunch of cats on bait.
When I was there the Buffalo area was not opened up yet. They did that a week after we left.
There were Elephants already in there. They had moved in and we saw them a few times. They sure make a mess of the trees!!

We killed one lion while we were there. It had moved into the area because the game was doing well in that area. It was a 4 or 5 year old lion and must have been kicked out of it's pride. The area next to us has a few on quota I think and the Bubye area is known for a pile as well.

I have wanted to hunt Moz. but it is a bit steeper in price. They have awesome species there. For a wild African experience for plainsgame I would hunt the Save, Nuanetsi or Bubye areas. You get DG plus a pile of good quality plainsgame. Yes it may cost a bit more than SA but it is worth it and the experience will be 3x as good in my view. Good luck with your hunt. I look forward to a report.
One question ..do you know what the name of the area "next to" Nuanesi that you referred to is that has a lion quota?

One more..did you go over to the "cattle section" of Nuanesi while you were there? If so was there much plains game there?

Thanks Nube
Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM

I appreciate the addtional info regarding the history of the hunting area.

This is a recently released video (40 min) on the developement on the Bubye Valley Conservancy, which explains how Hunting is the sole reason that wildlife is allowed to exist in this area today. A very good watch for those interested in Africa, confirming the importance of hunting as a conservation tool.

The Bubye Valley Conservancy

The Fate of the African Lion

http://www.hunterproud.com/wp-conten...-Valley-11.mov
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I appreciate the addtional info regarding the history of the hunting area.

This is a recently released video (40 min) on the developement on the Bubye Valley Conservancy, which explains how Hunting is the sole reason that wildlife is allowed to exist in this area today. A very good watch for those interested in Africa, confirming the importance of hunting as a conservation tool.

The Bubye Valley Conservancy

The Fate of the African Lion

http://www.hunterproud.com/wp-conten...-Valley-11.mov
Thanks..but I could not get into that file to save my life..would love to see it.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyala hunter View Post
Thanks..but I could not get into that file to save my life..would love to see it.
Then let's skin this cat another way.

Go here http://www.hunterproud.com/ , then Click on the highlighted link "Bubye Valley Conservancy" posted on June 6, 2012. On my comp, the file plays direct on the Windows Media Player. Let me know if that worked for you.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Nyala, no I do not know the area. Just from what Brent told me is where I got the info. Bubye is not that far I believe from Nuanetsi and from what I have read it is loaded with lion.

Yes I hunted the cattle section. There is not as much game there but it was still good hunting. We saw crocs there and there were a pile of Hyena in that area. Deerhunter spent more time in there as that is where he was hunting his cat for most of the time. There were some big Leopards in the cattle section.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Nyala, no I do not know the area. Just from what Brent told me is where I got the info. Bubye is not that far I believe from Nuanetsi and from what I have read it is loaded with lion.

Yes I hunted the cattle section. There is not as much game there but it was still good hunting. We saw crocs there and there were a pile of Hyena in that area. Deerhunter spent more time in there as that is where he was hunting his cat for most of the time. There were some big Leopards in the cattle section.
What would be nice is for Brent to be so successful with the "game section" that eventually the "cattle section" would be turned over to him as well. They say this is not good cattle country to start with thus the formation of Save, BVC, Nuanetsi.......Time will tell.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Banned

Here is a pic of how big Nuanetsi was.

and some more kills

Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Geez Ron, it looks like someone was looking at the horns when he was pulling the trigger I love it!!!! What a stud of a waterbuck as well buddy!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedave3 View Post
Sorry, I just find this slaughter disgusting.........and I am a hunter. Like whats the point?
Great pics and what looks like an amazing hunt. I kinda agree with this post. I'm a hunter through and through but this just seems a little excessive. A porcupine man. Really? Anything moving. Not judging just not for me! Thanks for sharing beautiful pics.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks Deer Hunter..very informative map.

It looks like the "Game Section" (149K Hectares) makes up the bulk of the land use falling under "lowveld beef".

Do any of you guy's hear how the sugarcane project is going? It seems like that makes up the bulk of the remaining land use on Nuanetsi..I did not know there was that much land dedicated to sugarcane. I thought it was mostly cattle and game with small amount of land dedicated to cane and crocs.

Did you guy's get to visit the Crocodile production area?

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
Great pics and what looks like an amazing hunt. I kinda agree with this post. I'm a hunter through and through but this just seems a little excessive. A porcupine man. Really? Anything moving. Not judging just not for me! Thanks for sharing beautiful pics.
Sounds kinda like your judging to me. Ever see the damage those critters do over there? They expose and eat the roots of certain trees. In that climate and with certain soil conditions, that is a recipe for disaster. Some of those trees take crazy lengths of time to grow big enough to be viable cover for wildlife.

These ranches need to be managed. If the porkys get out of hand, the can decimate the foliage for years. They have very few predators there and are nocturnal as well. Who better than us? I'll whack one if I get the chance.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyala hunter View Post
Thanks Deer Hunter..very informative map.

It looks like the "Game Section" (149K Hectares) makes up the bulk of the land use falling under "lowveld beef".

Do any of you guy's hear how the sugarcane project is going? It seems like that makes up the bulk of the remaining land use on Nuanetsi..I did not know there was that much land dedicated to sugarcane. I thought it was mostly cattle and game with small amount of land dedicated to cane and crocs.

Did you guy's get to visit the Crocodile production area?

Thanks again.
Keep in mind that map is probably 20+ years old. They moved the cows north out of what is now the conservancy and we never went as far as the sugar cane area to know whats all going on there.

The croc farm was a big attraction but unfortuneatly I didnt get there either.

That piece of property hold tremendous potential as it is being run for hunting by hunters. The place is entirely bush choked, with none of my shots being in excess of 100 yrds. Most under 50 yrds. The hunting conservancy is nearly 400,000 acres or 17 townships. You dont see anyone else while your hunting. You can walk till you cant walk no more, or drive till you are sick of driving. The waterholes and the variety of game make the place imo a real gem for the bowhunter too, but im not sure that is on their agenda yet. They are strick on not allowing hunting anywhere near the waterholes which is imo a good idea.

The game inside the conservancy is extremely spooky. Probably as a result of continuous culling when Nuanetsi was operated as strictly a cattle ranch. They hear a vehicle or a twig snap and their gone! Picking a good shot is nearly impossible, quite often your shooting through small windows or through the bush to get to your animals, if you werent prepared to do that, you wouldnt be doing much shooting.

It is a leopard and cheetah haven, their are so many of each in there due to the amount of game and cover. We came across a young cheetah killed by a leopard. A large male cheetah was on my menu but we didnt connect. They dont bait and are extremely skiddish, combined with a 20K fine/confiscation if you shoot a female, they are extremely challenging. Being Canadian allows you to hunt and import them which is a unique opportunity. And the place is loaded with them. Next time!

Interesting to note that the areas around the conservancy are now becoming overrun with local squatters (read poachers) so these conservancies are really the only places that have any decent numbers of game in them. The people are so poor there that poaching normally occurs with old fence wire used as snares (with everything targeted) and steel fence poles sharpened as the killing spears.

What an eyeopener Zimbabwe was.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Sounds kinda like your judging to me. Ever see the damage those critters do over there? They expose and eat the roots of certain trees. In that climate and with certain soil conditions, that is a recipe for disaster. Some of those trees take crazy lengths of time to grow big enough to be viable cover for wildlife.

These ranches need to be managed. If the porkys get out of hand, the can decimate the foliage for years. They have very few predators there and are nocturnal as well. Who better than us? I'll whack one if I get the chance.

haha. Sure. SO....they where imported then. Not native to the land. Life would carry on if no one shot them. Or would Zimbabwe creator into a giant hole. Sorry for JUDGING.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
haha. Sure. SO....they where imported then. Not native to the land. Life would carry on if no one shot them. Or would Zimbabwe creator into a giant hole. Sorry for JUDGING.
What's wrong with shooting a porcupine in your eyes?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM

Thee most defenceless creature on the planet! I ain't no anti just seems excessive. There's people on AO bringing guys down for shooting a moose and a bull elk in the same year cause it's too much meat and you harvested 6000 lbs of meat. That is if you would have brought it home.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 AM

That porcupine was as defensive as that cow elk you killed in the mid of winter in 2 feet of snow! And to top that the meat that I killed did a hell of a lot more than any you have put on the ground. I would bet that my porcupine was more used than your elk ever would be. You can gurantee that 99% of the meat I killed including guts and whatever else was used from my animals. That is also including my leopard and the porcupine. I doubt you could say that about anything you killed this year! How many coyotes have you killed?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 AM

Fair enough Nube. I watched this thread for a long time. I waited till everyone had said their peace before I said mine. Thanks for the run down. Congrats!!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
First, I am an avid hunter myself and like most hunt for the meat. However, I agree with you baptiste_moose. I find this excessive (killing spree??) I get the impression that anything that moved got shot. Regardless. I do not quite understand why certain animals were taken? Some are considered endangered by some organizations. Leopards have only 2-3 cubs with a low survival rate. They are rare. Same with the small game antilope like duiker, klipspringer and Sevet cats with high pressure from the locals and predators of all kinds. Why those, I wonder?? Because you could? African countries are not known for conservation especially if rich "$American$" hunters hunt where the inflation is not even measurable (Zim). Their currency collapsed in 2009. Sad but true. Local African conservation organizations are constantly busy trying to protect animal populations for future generations. I am NOT a tree-hugger and have some meat in the freezer right now and my dad goes for Impala and Kudu annually. Maybe just concerned for the future of some species!!! Wild life there is NOT managed like here. Let me ask you this, did you have to get a tag of any kind for any of the animals or was it more a pay-as-you-go?? Did you (anyone?) get a draw for leopard? Money talks.....unfortunately AO members, please don't flame me as this was one reason we left there. Proper management ensures sustainability and survival and the governments don't have the money. Not just Zim.

Nube dude, I did not mean to rain on your parade. I apologize if I did. I am glad you had a good time and opportunity to fully experience the African continent and its wildlife. It is well worth the trip. I hope you can go back again one day. I also know the villagers appreciate the food on the table and the jobs they wouldnt have had without folks like you who save to make a dream come true. Maybe just be a little more selective on some species??? I am just trying to create some awareness as most hunters here (North America) have a misconception that there is an endless supply of animals. We usually also dont get much media coverage here about conservation (dwindling animal numbers) when there are always wars waging that get the headlines.......At least we have draws and limits to protect our wildlife with substantial consequences for poaching or mismanagement. Maybe I am just venting a bit......

Thank you for sharing your experience and excitement (and listening???). Nice trophies BTW!! Some of it no doubt biltong material ;-) I will get off my soap box now