Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 PM

Default #Animals Killed by Cars

Numbers of Animals killed by Cars in Alberta was 16000 plus in 2008 and 13500were deer and the cost bill to insurance was 240 million

the numbers killed out here Hinton area is unreal this spring whats everyone seeing in their area

David
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 PM

With numbers like this the insurances companies should start thinking about working with manufacturers to make automotive infared systems like the PathfindIR found in 5 series BMW's more accessible. 300 meter distance and good picture quality. Looks like you can get what you need to install a system for any car for around $3500.00 U.S. At a reasonable price, I would get one for every car I own.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 AM

Maybe adjust WMUs and seasons to allow more harvests in high collision areas around the major highways?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 AM

Default collisions

Maybe the insurance companies should start supporting hunting in a big way, maybe give me a reduction on my insurance rates because I actively help to reduce the number of collisions
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 AM

i bet you 55 is a high collision highway eh mike?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 AM

Maybe the farmers who, on both sides of the hwy's post their land and allow no hunting should start paying for some of the damages.

Like I've said many times,

If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Maybe the insurance companies should start supporting hunting in a big way, maybe give me a reduction on my insurance rates because I actively help to reduce the number of collisions
Actually they do. Maybe not so much in Canada where animal densities are much lower, but in some areas of the US where deer densities and collision rates are much higher they do lobby the game departments to extend seasons and bag limits. I work in the collision industry and animal hits are a fairly large percentage of our business. Seems like every other job is a deer hit.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM

The NDP would likely suggest shutting down all of the roads in Alberta to protect wildlife.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Gone Hunting

This time of year there are a lot of yearling deer that have recently been kicked out into the world on their own. They have always followed Mum and now they have to make their own decisions. You see them out in the open in daylight and crossing roads when and where they should not.

I see lots of areas where the problem of deer collisions could be reduced. If there was really the desire to do something proactive, the money could be made available to do this.

For example I was hunting in the county of Strathcona some years back. Most of the rural roads they are paved "high speed" roads now. On one side of this road was a wooded ravine (perfect deer day time cover). On the other side of the road a farmer had a pile of grain on a big tarp that would not fit in his granary. There were heavy trail from the ravine to the grain pile.

I guess the farmer didn't think of it but he had set up the perfect situation for deer/ vehicle collision. I hope there was no human fatality there that year. I would bet that eventually there was at least one deer collision there.

There was a problem with a fairly simple solution.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Maybe the farmers who, on both sides of the hwy's post their land and allow no hunting should start paying for some of the damages.

Like I've said many times,

If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

Well said!

I drive that stretch of highway lots (Edmonton to Hinton). A couple years ago when populations were really high, I figured I should do my part on some active management and get my supplemental doe tags to get them before they got me (i.e. make an imprint on my grill).

Surprise surprise. The fields where the deer hung out along the highway, were fields where the farmers didn't allow hunting. Even after explaining my reasoning.

And lone behold, I did smack a deer later that winter with my truck!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Numbers of Animals killed by Cars in Alberta was 16000 plus in 2008 and 13500were deer and the cost bill to insurance was 240 million

the numbers killed out here Hinton area is unreal this spring whats everyone seeing in their area

David
I can believe that.A friend of mine use to work for Ledcor.Part of his job was cleaning up roadkill.He told me about a certain stretch of highway,just under 50 miles long that there averaged at least one deer a day.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
i bet you 55 is a high collision highway eh mike?
You know 55 is a high contact hiway.....our family has take 3 deer out to the tune of 20k in repairs in last 10 years

AL
Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Being that we have to pay to harvest animals that 'belong' to the government I am almost surprised that we do not get fined for killing 'their' deer.

I remember hearing about that for a while in Saskatchewan, don't know if it ever passed or not.

I think you can be fined for hitting animals in parks but google doesn't show anything.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....