Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 AM

This thread is giving me a headache.

It is full of incorrect information in just about every post.

This reveals an alarming truth, outfitters, guides and resident hunters generally have no clue about the Outfitter Allocation and Policy.

This is a great fault that lies on the shoulders of the Gov, APOS and the resident stakeholder groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Blaming outfitters for non-resident hunting is like blaming natives for year round hunting, it's not their fault, it's the governments.

No Kurt, Outfitters are fully to blame (but not alone in responsibility) for the current situation.
They are the ones lobbying and threatening to sue for what they want.
They are the ones resisting change to the system.

"Super secret" level meeting are being held to review and update the Outfitter Policy and Allocation agreement. Actually, these have been going on for the last several years.... with absolutely NO progress, just stonewalling and suppression of the Public consultation process.

Oh, and a hostile takeover of the APOS head office. Lol.... nice job.

Deer Hunter had it right.

A Deer Allocation is worth $130.

Go ahead and pay 4-20K, but that doesn't mean you will ever recoup the balance when the gov orders an return of these privileges.

Buy your bridges.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway mike View Post
Around 390 allocations currently for sale or lease in alberta.

And I hear that Walmart is interested in buying them all.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This thread is giving me a headache.

It is full of incorrect information in just about every post.

This reveals an alarming truth, outfitters, guides and resident hunters generally have no clue about the Outfitter Allocation and Policy.

This is a great fault that lies on the shoulders of the Gov, APOS and the resident stakeholder groups.

No Kurt, Outfitters are fully to blame (but not alone in responsibility) for the current situation.
They are the ones lobbying and threatening to sue for what they want.
They are the ones resisting change to the system.

"Super secret" level meeting are being held to review and update the Outfitter Policy and Allocation agreement. Actually, these have been going on for the last several years.... with absolutely NO progress, just stonewalling and suppression of the Public consultation process.

Oh, and a hostile takeover of the APOS head office. Lol.... nice job.

Go ahead and pay 4-20K, but that doesn't mean you will ever recoup the balance when the gov orders an return of these privileges.

Buy your bridges.

Well it's good to know the outfitters are in charge of our fish and wildlife, maybe we can talk to them about sustinence hunting too....
Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Well it's good to know the outfitters are in charge of our fish and wildlife, maybe we can talk to them about sustinence hunting too....
Start with that Sask kid and his Outfitted Subsistence Bighorn hunts.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
What ???
Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have absolutely no doubt the outfitters are lobbying to keep their allocations, it's their source of income. When the borders were shut down because of bse it was the farmers who lobbied... go figure. In both cases they are not the ones who make the decisions though. You can't fault them for wanting to protect their income.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Buy your bridges.
The industry is not going anywhere. People have been crying and whining about Outfitters for the last 50 years, and yet, here we are.

The industry brings in foreign money to our economy, an economy that isn't doing the best right now I might add. Like I said earlier, just because you don't make a living off it doesn't mean others that do aren't just as important. I'm sure I can find somebody that would like to eliminate every one of the industries you guys work in, but it doesn't make it right.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I have absolutely no doubt the outfitters are lobbying to keep their allocations, it's their source of income. When the borders were shut down because of bse it was the farmers who lobbied... go figure. In both cases they are not the ones who make the decisions though. You can't fault them for wanting to protect their income.
Sure, I don't fault those who fight for what they want, but that doesn't grant them immunity from being responsible for the outcome.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The industry is not going anywhere. People have been crying and whining about Outfitters for the last 50 years, and yet, here we are.

The industry brings in foreign money to our economy, an economy that isn't doing the best right now I might add. Like I said earlier, just because you don't make a living off it doesn't mean others that do aren't just as important. I'm sure I can find somebody that would like to eliminate every one of the industries you guys work in, but it doesn't make it right.
There you go off the deep end again, cry wolf.

I never stated any desire to end Outfitting or guiding, for residents or non-residents. So it is clear, I am in favour of both. There is room for Outfitters/guides and I am a Proponent of maintaining non-resident access to hunting big game, even when and where the species is on a draw for residents.

My comments were in relation to Outfitter Allocations, Big Game allocations to be specific. The Outfitting industry could carry on just fine, even grow, without having a licence specific allocation.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:

My comments were in relation to Outfitter Allocations, Big Game allocations to be specific. The Outfitting industry could carry on just fine, even grow, without having a licence specific allocation.
Oh ya. And how would that work ?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Oh ya. And how would that work ?
If only there was an example of a jurisdiction that works this way....

Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
If only there was an example of a jurisdiction that works this way....
Go ahead ! Show me where this works ?

And don't use the states that have land owner tags and Indian reservations to make up the bulk of their business, because we have neither here.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:37 PM

The only guy I personally know who has bought allocations paid about $5000 for his WT and MD tags in the Rocky Mountain House Area. I don't think he has sold a hunt in the last two years. It ain't what it used to be.

My friend from Texas that used to come to Alberta every year for white tails now goes to the Yukon every third year and gets to pull the trigger more often for the same amount of dollars and a much higher quality hunt (costs and trigger pulls averaged over a 9 year period).

I am 100% in favour of non-resident hunting but not as it currently exists. Put all of the non-resident tags on draw. Once you draw a tag you find an outfitter. That way the bios can adjust the tag numbers as needed without feeling as though they need to compensate the outfitters. It will also allow the outfitters that offer a good hunt to rise to the top.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post

I am 100% in favour of non-resident hunting but not as it currently exists. Put all of the non-resident tags on draw. Once you draw a tag you find an outfitter. That way the bios can adjust the tag numbers as needed without feeling as though they need to compensate the outfitters. It will also allow the outfitters that offer a good hunt to rise to the top.
So would like the non residents to go in the regular draw or would you still like the non residents to be separate ?

I'm guessing you realize whether an outfitter sells four mule deer hunts through our allocation process or the non residents draw 4 mule deee tags then book, there's still 4 non residents hunting right ?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
The only guy I personally know who has bought allocations paid about $5000 for his WT and MD tags in the Rocky Mountain House Area. I don't think he has sold a hunt in the last two years. It ain't what it used to be.

My friend from Texas that used to come to Alberta every year for white tails now goes to the Yukon every third year and gets to pull the trigger more often for the same amount of dollars and a much higher quality hunt (costs and trigger pulls averaged over a 9 year period).

Amen!!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
So would like the non residents to go in the regular draw or would you still like the non residents to be separate ?

I'm guessing you realize whether an outfitter sells four mule deer hunts through our allocation process or the non residents draw 4 mule deee tags then book, there's still 4 non residents hunting right ?
Ya i am not sure why he is wanting it this way. It does not change the fact the same number of deer will be shot. it will not change the number of years it takes him to get a draw and people will still continue to have an issue....
Old 03-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Ya i am not sure why he is wanting it this way. It does not change the fact the same number of deer will be shot. it will not change the number of years it takes him to get a draw and people will still continue to have an issue....
Bingo !!!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:34 PM

Let me help you guys.
Instead of getting 90% of the deer tags in a zone, you would only get 10% of the tags.... Alot less deer would be shot by outfitters.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Let me help you guys.
Residents get 90% of the deer tags in a zone, you would only get 10% of the tags.... Alot less deer are shot by outfitters.

There, I fixed it for you !!!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:40 PM

Default Dream on.

Lol! Thanks.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

10% is excessive. Maybe 5% based on increasing resident demand. Maybe none.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Priority The Way It Should Be

1 - RESIDENTS (we own the dang animals)
2 - Non-Resident Canadians (neighbours deserve second shot)
3 - Non-Resident Aliens (bottom of barrel / never get a tag until Albertans are looked after)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
10% is excessive. Maybe 5% based on increasing resident demand. Maybe none.
It was only around five or six years ago that outfitters allocations made up 40% of all pronghorn tags issued for the entire province.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It was only around five or six years ago that outfitters allocations made up 40% of all pronghorn tags issued for the entire province.
Exactly.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Priority The Way It Should Be

1 - RESIDENTS (we own the dang animals)
2 - Non-Resident Canadians (neighbours deserve second shot)
3 - Non-Resident Aliens (bottom of barrel)
Given that it's the taxpayers that pay the bills to manage the game populations in this province, including the salaries for the entire AEP department; the residents should definitely be the first priority.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

(we own the dang animals)

)
No you don't. The crown does, just like oil and gas, forestry, and minerals.

And it's all for sale !

Because after all we need industry
Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct

Over the last 30 years there have been at least 5-10 instances where the numbers have been out of whack in certain WMUs for certain species.

Nobody has ever denied that
Old 03-06-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct

Over the last 30 years there have been at least 5-10 instances where the numbers have been out of whack in certain WMUs for certain species.

Nobody has ever denied that
That is 5 or 10 times that it should not have happened. If the pronghorn population was really that low, the season ahould have been suspended for everyone. The population should be the number one priority, rather than someone making money off of the population .
Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
That is 5 or 10 times that it should not have happened. If the pronghorn population was really that low, the season ahould have been suspended for everyone. The population should be the number one priority, rather than someone making money off of the population .
That's right, it should be adjusted as soon as possible.

And from what I remember the outfitters voluntarily stopped using the allocations after that first season.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:43 PM

Iv never read a thread with this much false information. Wow