Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
ANorthwind

Default My Guided Hunts

I finally took the time to set up some pics... so here are my pics from this and last year.... my first Mule Doe, taken with a 308, at 260 yds, myself and my mentor - guide was put on by the Rod and Gun club in Oyen (thank you so much), and AHEIA.

The hunt was a silent auction bid that I won at the Outdoor Womens seminar put on by AHEIA every summer at Alford Lake - a fun weekend. The hunt was in wmu162, we stayed in the camp, where we were fed wild dishes, and heard many stories from the members of the Rod and Gun club. These mentors are mostly land owners out there, and everyone has a great weekend when they go out. Although my mentor does not live out there, she has many hunting experiences, was very patient, and a great teacher.

So, of course I bid on the hunts again this summer, and was out in Oyen again this fall. My first hunt with a 12 guage (I have previously hunted with a 410). I was fortunate to have the F&G officer take some time off work to come out and be my mentor for the weekend. The birds were awesome, and I now have some stories of my own to tell and laugh at.

Although I have yet to get a white-tail, I look forward to many more hunting seasons, and many more steaks..mmm.

i129.photobucket.com/albu...EIA251.jpg

i129.photobucket.com/albu...G_0777.jpg

i129.photobucket.com/albu...G_0773.jpg
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
RyanGSP

Nice pics. Is that a Hungarian Partridge in the one picture? Where were you shooting the birds? Did you use a dog or just walk them up?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
lilsundance

Anorthwind, Congrats on a couple of great hunts.
Good job.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 PM
ANorthwind

thanks... there were 5 hunters and 5 guides for the bird hunt.. so we flushed in a line ... one bird is a hun, I cooked it and some venison steaks for my christmas dinner... yumm
Old 01-02-2007, 10:41 PM
lilsundance

Sounds great., Am I wrong or is that a cast on your left hand in the photo with the deer?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
ANorthwind

yep... broke my wrist 2 weeks before the hunt .. good thing Im right handed.. lol
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 AM
nube

Awesome job, Thanks for the pics
Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Davey Crocket

Quote:
yep... broke my wrist 2 weeks before the hunt...

... nice work, good to see a little pain doesn't stop some good huntin, and good times. Congrats!:smokin
Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Rob

Way to go Northwind,

That whitetail won't be too far down the road.
Glad to see you are enjoying the fine pursuit of hunting.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Jamie Hunt

Congrats Northwind.
I am trying to get my wife to go to that AHEIA womens thing. I think you should call her.

It's a nice camp up that way.
Jamie
Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 AM
OutdoorChet

Hey Northwind,

Glad to see you posted your story and pics. It was nice to meet you out there. I am glad you enjoyed your hunts. I got your PM a while ago and sent one back. I hope all is well. I see that your mentor tagged a very nice Mule buck in November too.

Chet
Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Duk Dog

Congrats!!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
RockyMtnx

Congrats!!
It sure is great to see more ladies out in the feild.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
bigbore

nice pics, congrats for sure. Hope your hunting adventures get better and better
Old 01-03-2007, 05:25 PM
ANorthwind

The AHEIA Outdoor Womens seminar is a very fun weekend. There are many activities to choose from, everything from shotgun and rifle to fly fishing, to canoeing, to archery, to making walking sticks, to survival of the extremes.... you can camp in a tent, bring a trailer, or stay in cabins.. The food is awesome, and there are extra activities like morning walks, star gazing, and the instructors are always happy to help practice your new skills in the spare time.

I first signed up for the rifle and shotgun, and extreme survival - and a few others... some women just go to have a weekend away, and some get to try things they have always wanted to, but have never done.... I was learning shotgun with a woman in her 50's, and as we watched her blow a clay apart, she turned to the rest of us with this prceless look on her face and said "Ive ALWAYS wanted to do that!!!" From what I hear, a AHEIA gets a lot of responses like that.

The other women that attend are fun and friendly and open. And they are everything from teachers, housewives, farmers, medics, etc... The instructors are patient and there is never any pressure on you to be afraid of asking questions. It is a great weekend, and I recommend you encourage your wife to give it a try - be warned though, she may end up a better shot than you .. haha
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Jamie Hunt

Quote:
be warned though, she may end up a better shot than you
I really dont think that will be that hard.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

I do want her to go. I have heard many many wonderfull things about that semminar.

Jamie
Old 01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
M70

Thanks for sharing! I'm curious. What made you take up hunting as an adult?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
ANorthwind

I have no answer as to why I have only taken it up now... I grew up shooting beer cans with air rifles, playing "ninja" in the forest, playing paintball.. etc etc.. My grandfather and uncle hunted a lot, and we have always had game for supper at their homes, but they never asked me to go, so I guess life just didnt point me in that direction until now... that is the best answer I got for strangers....
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 AM
lilsundance

North wind, I would love nothing better for the little lady to go to the ladies seminars. But she couldn't hurt a fly and doesn't even want to hear about which one of us harvested an animal. It would be easier to pull teeth from a hen than get her hunting. lol
Best of luck to you in your hunting. Our camp is always open and we welcome any to stop for a coffee or just to chew the fat.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Tucumseh

Lil, you behave yourself! (kidding)

Congrats on the successfull hunt North!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
CBR hunter

Great pics. Sure is nice to see some other women out hunting. I am going to look into the women's seminar for this yr...sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing.