Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 10:52 PM

Default cold lake lakers

just finished up 6 days at cold lake . it did not disappoint again , what a amazing fishery , we never trolled this time just jigged, there were lots of times where we had 3 fish on at once , lots of double headers , most of the time one of us had a fish on. average size was a down some from july . weather was a mix of some heavy chop at times to glass smooth .
cannot wait till next year. still looking for that 20 lber.
the boat launch is a bit of a gong show some days , makes for a good laugh sometimes as well.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Awesome....and your right gong show but man the fishin makes up for it....I get out about three times a week in between other lakes etc and yup we kill'em....many double headers etc....oh and really fun in a yak.....kinda get pulled around.

Now that the wind has died down for the last week

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-22-2020, 02:06 PM

We are going out on the 31st for a few days.

Going to try and find some walleye - haven't fished for eyes this time of year there - so going to give that a try.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:25 AM

Looking forward to our first trip there. Thanks 58theCat for your advise.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:28 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Looking forward to our first trip there. Thanks 58theCat for your advise.
anytime....I can give advise but cant guarantee fish ...luv September on the water....cool mornings and comfortable afternoons....

Old 08-25-2020, 12:17 AM

glad you had a good trip . What was biggest?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
glad you had a good trip . What was biggest?
78 cm was the biggest this trip we had lots that measured right at 75cm next year they will be over the size limit. you should give it a try its an amazing fishery . cheers
Old 08-26-2020, 12:30 PM

Word has it two 55 pounders were pulled out of English bay
Old 08-26-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb177 View Post
Wow ..........Alberta record is 52lbs ........... that's two over the record size Lakers !!!!! ..... can't wait to see pictures of those two beasts as soon as the "word" comes out........ not one but TWO record breakers !!!!!

I can't wait !!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Source?
Old 08-26-2020, 02:55 PM

here it is ……. lol

Old 08-27-2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
78 cm was the biggest this trip we had lots that measured right at 75cm next year they will be over the size limit. you should give it a try its an amazing fishery . cheers
nice
Old 08-27-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
nice
if you are thinking of going let me know i can give you some good spots to get hooked up. i will not be going until next year , cheers
Old 08-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
if you are thinking of going let me know i can give you some good spots to get hooked up. i will not be going until next year , cheers
Send some my way too ……….. need to try and find some walleye …. seems hit and miss for me on that lake.

Lakers are not an issue, but who knows, maybe there's better places I don't know about.

Going up on Sunday for a few days.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:02 PM

We caught 6 to 8 over 80 cm this year with the largest at 87.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Source?
Some Random guy at provincial launch so you know......... very reliable source.......... hahahahaha
Old 08-27-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Some Random guy at provincial launch so you know......... very reliable source.......... hahahahaha
LMAO ... love it!

Old 08-27-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
LMAO ... love it!

I know the guy, see him all the time, he's there with a burning cig in his face and a can of pilsner …… you know …. "boat launch talk it up guy" ….. the guy that starts every sentence with "in the ol' days we usta" (used to) and the story inevitable leads to multiple unrecorded world record fish and extravagant adventures of mythically sized leviathans of the deep.

Ya, that guy.

"We once cross bred a donkey with a pigeon and ride of this flying horse"
Old 08-27-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I know the guy, see him all the time, he's there with a burning cig in his face and a can of pilsner …… you know …. "boat launch talk it up guy" ….. the guy that starts every sentence with "in the ol' days we usta" (used to) and the story inevitable leads to multiple unrecorded world record fish and extravagant adventures of mythically sized leviathans of the deep.

Ya, that guy.

"We once cross bred a donkey with a pigeon and ride of this flying horse"
you got a donkey...coool

Old 09-02-2020, 05:26 PM

Lake and weather suck.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Lake and weather suck.

Just got back a few hours ago after spending a few days out there.

Windy and main lake was brutal. wind just the other day were to 60 km/hr (that was interesting) ...Luckily not much rain over the few days - so at least we weren't wet and miserable ....lol

Had to fish bays (mostly french) and west end (English Bay was more sheltered) - and did catch fish steady.

The back bays behind long were choked with weeds (the shallow parts) - so after cleaning the prop a 5th time we were done with that - so came back out.

A few crazy people out there like us (Spotted Willowtrail and his new rig a few times) and a few other guys on here ......... sick twisted individuals to be out in that weather.

Found a few more new spots and it was a good few days.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Windy and main lake was brutal. wind just the other day were to 60 km/hr (that was interesting) ...Luckily not much rain over the few days - so at least we weren't wet and miserable ....lol

Had to fish bays (mostly french) and west end (English Bay was more sheltered) - and did catch fish steady.

The back bays behind long were choked with weeds (the shallow parts) - so after cleaning the prop a 5th time we were done with that - so came back out.

A few crazy people out there like us (Spotted Willowtrail and his new rig a few times) and a few other guys on here ......... sick twisted individuals to be out in that weather.

You would have passed us out on Frenchmen. A little bigger lake than us southern boys are use too. We fished right beside willowtree. Though we were fishing the same way he was. We watched him catch fish. But none for us. We just didn't have that last little trick to catch them. Heading to the Cold River tomorrow if the forecast stays the same.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Lake and weather suck.

Well the lake far from sucks.....the weather on the other hand has been brutal wind wise....30-50 Klicks.....come back in June/July......or once she freezes up....and that's fishin' in a nutshell....weather rolls in ya make the best of it...too bad things were on the crappy side weather wise.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:

Yup if you can hunker into the leeward sides of the bay's you still can catch lakers etc....Monday in my little tinner we stuck it out in Frenchbay and had a blast catching pike....now that the visitors are gone the lake will be dead calm for us locals

Old 09-03-2020, 01:50 AM

Quote:
You would have passed us out on Frenchmen. A little bigger lake than us southern boys are use too. We fished right beside willowtree. Though we were fishing the same way he was. We watched him catch fish. But none for us. We just didn't have that last little trick to catch them. Heading to the Cold River tomorrow if the forecast stays the same.

Dam eh....jigging or trolling?

Old 09-03-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Dam eh....jigging or trolling?
Both. We have spent $400 on tackle. And all we caught was 7 small pike. Heading home this morning. We'll be back when it freezes up. Your right the lake doesn't suck we do. Lol

Old 09-03-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Both. We have spent $400 on tackle. And all we caught was 7 small pike. Heading home this morning. We'll be back when it freezes up. Your right the lake doesn't suck we do. Lol

You got hit by bad weather is all.....like I mentioned to you when I pm'd you the gear I use religiously even then we have had outings where we wondered what the hell is going on....and I am impatient so I keep switching it up....hunting for bait balls and yup still slow....so I go into a bay and toss lures....that's fishing better than working....get back on the hard water or better yet when the ice is just of mid May...back bays will keep you busy with eyes,pike and the lakers are near the surface and hungry....

Old 09-03-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Maybe so. First day (Monday) We launched at the park and went over to Frenchmen's and caught some pike no walleye - it was fun - but the main lake was nasty.

Tuesday we decided to launch at English Bay and were steady on the lakers. Nothing big but busy pulling up fish. The Lakers stayed up in the water column pretty high and seemed to be active throughout the day - which was nice and made life easier.

Lost one really nice one next to the boat …… but we will be back to get him next time.

The lake was sheltered from that side - not calm, but certainly not white caps.

It was too choppy to remain on spot to jig so we trolled.

Our group, 2 boats, a White Warrior Glass with Merc, and my boat, Black Lund Tyee with the Honda Outboards - were the only ones at English Bay when we launched in the AM.

Was good despite the wind - always a way to get on the lake and find less waves if you are persistent.

Last edited by EZM; 09-03-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:24 PM

Been a tough week on the big lake for sure. Had 3 buddies out and it took some work and battling big waves to get to some calmer areas. We did some downrigging but mainly jigged and the boys had a blast. Friday morning (today) was pretty awesome. The cold lake fishing I’m used to. 5 of us landed 44 lakers and a few real close to 75cm but nothing over. Lots chasing today and it was a blast watching them on the Lowrance LiveSight.

Nice seeing you again Dale S. Let me know before you come up again next time and we’ll get you guys on the board.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Been a tough week on the big lake for sure. Had 3 buddies out and it took some work and battling big waves to get to some calmer areas. We did some downrigging but mainly jigged and the boys had a blast. Friday morning (today) was pretty awesome. The cold lake fishing I’m used to. 5 of us landed 44 lakers and a few real close to 75cm but nothing over. Lots chasing today and it was a blast watching them on the Lowrance LiveSight.

Nice seeing you again Dale S. Let me know before you come up again next time and we’ll get you guys on the board.
today was a beauty day.....21 out...calm....but I had to fart around with chores....went for a drive though and stopped by the lake....tomorrow morning unless its raining....the beauty of being close....got the bird itch happening though....I am in a hard decision time....fish the morning and hunt the evening or vie versa.....dam