Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Both. We have spent $400 on tackle. And all we caught was 7 small pike. Heading home this morning. We'll be back when it freezes up. Your right the lake doesn't suck we do. Lol

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
if you come back for hard water will set you up with heated shack and get you on fish no charge you had a bad week ...cold lake owes you.
just let me know
Old 09-04-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Been a tough week on the big lake for sure. Had 3 buddies out and it took some work and battling big waves to get to some calmer areas. We did some downrigging but mainly jigged and the boys had a blast. Friday morning (today) was pretty awesome. The cold lake fishing I’m used to. 5 of us landed 44 lakers and a few real close to 75cm but nothing over. Lots chasing today and it was a blast watching them on the Lowrance LiveSight.

Nice seeing you again Dale S. Let me know before you come up again next time and we’ll get you guys on the board.
Yeah - we saw you on Monday there at the provincial headed up and around to French - we headed back into the back bays. Nice rig !!!! crazy weather but looks like your new boat can handle it.

We launched at English Tuesday AM, came in for a few hours for mid day meal, and back out in the PM - was pretty good over there as the wind was blocked pretty well along the shore there and out to where the lakers were on that shelf.

Lakers were biting - so it was a good move. Nothing near 75cm for either of our boats - I think a 68cm and few up around there was it for us - but probably landed 60 fish between the two boats.

Funny thing is (and I'm sure he will chime in here to defend himself) one of the guys with a new boat and new riggers, and new to lakers, had his lure 4ft back of the release in AM .......... 4ft !!!!........... and still landed them.

I couldn't really tell him that's a bit a short, because what do you say when he's picking up fish?????

Lakers must be dumber than I thought !!!!!
Old 09-05-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldlaketackleshack View Post
if you come back for hard water will set you up with heated shack and get you on fish no charge you had a bad week ...cold lake owes you.
just let me know
We'll be back. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldlaketackleshack View Post
just let me know
That's awesome right there!!!!

Fishing can be tuff on you when you travel to an area and the weather turns into a poop show....my father in law was up here a few weeks ago...man we got beat up to catch lakers...wind from the west...then northwest...then gust to 50 clicks from the west....ended up only keeping one line in....one point I was trolling into the wind to get some shelter....lines went slack as we were not making headway...managed to get him on them but man what a workout....then he left and my wife and I went out a few days later....16 caught....multiple double headers....go figure eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-08-2020, 12:34 PM

I haven't fished lake trout since around 1988 on Kingsmere in SK. Been meaning to get out after them again

So for all you Lake Trout fans, here's something you may find interesting...

Lake Pend Oreille in north Idaho. They consider lake trout a "nuisance" fish and last I heard (a couple years back) not only is there no limits on number and/or size, I was told there's a $15 bounty on em. Bring in a heads, they give you cash.

So if you like fishing lake trout, you might want to give that a look. Pend Oreille (pronounce "pond oray" has quite the collection of fish species including world class rainbows and even a landlocked, self sustaining salmon fishery. Apparently there are walleye getting into the lake too and again, no limits as they're not an indigenous species.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-08-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
I haven't fished lake trout since around 1988 on Kingsmere in SK. Been meaning to get out after them again

Lake Pend Oreille in north Idaho. They consider lake trout a "nuisance" fish and last I heard (a couple years back) not only is there no limits on number and/or size, I was told there's a $15 bounty on em. Bring in a heads, they give you cash.

So if you like fishing lake trout, you might want to give that a look. Pend Oreille (pronounce "pond oray" has quite the collection of fish species including world class rainbows and even a landlocked, self sustaining salmon fishery. Apparently there are walleye getting into the lake too and again, no limits as they're not an indigenous species.
That’s not the only lake in Washington that lakers and walleye are trash fish. They don’t have a real good following lol! I love it down there. Great fishing.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

check out Mack Days