Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2020, 06:20 AM

Default River canoeing around cold lake.

We are stationed in cold lake, I see a few nice rivers close to me. Beaver, cold, sand rivers seem like some that may be ok to canoe? I would like to take my grandson for a day trip before school starts, and advise...where to launch what to lookout for is appreciated.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Stay off cold River...fast flowing this season and Rapids...we would float it but not this year...one drowning this year too many.....beaver seems fine now...places to drop off and pick up where the river crosses roads etc....I would get here, settle in and recce the areas prior to making a commitment as the rivers this year are high and a little bit of rain gets them flowing pretty good.

Maybe hit a few small lakes and wet a line....Ethel has lots of pike to keep kids entertained not a far paddle from the provincial campsite....just a thought.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-04-2020, 01:38 AM

Yep agree with cat. Cold river is not a safe river. Beaver is a nice river, can put in behind the base on Marie creek and hit the river and float to hwy 28. Usually a 3 hour or so on my canoe. Little bear is also a nice little lake to paddle.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:59 AM

I realize this is a little late.

I have canoed the Sand, Beaver, and Martineau Rivers, and Marie Creek.

The sand is good from the end of the road north of hwy 55 to hwy 55 about 4 hour trip. An easy paddle. Can also run it from hwy 55 to the Beaver. Can take out at a few places where the roads are close or go right to hwy 41 bridge. Gotta be careful for the rock gardens south of hwy 55. If the water is too high then it can be challenging. if its low you will have to line or wade some.

Beaver can be run from bridge to any bridge. Time on the water can vary depending where you put in and where you get out. Great easy paddling

Marie is great from 897 after Ethel to the base.

Don't try the cold unless you are greatly experienced and have a spray skirt over the canoe.