Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Strikemaster ice auger issue

Having a problem with my ice auger.The auger is a StrikeMaster Honda 35cc lite Gas Auger.I let the engine warm up but when I go to drill a hole, it almost always bogs down to the point of stalling. It starts up on the first pull and idles nice and smooth, but as soon as you put any kind of load on it stalls.I even put premium fuel in it.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:40 AM

how old is it? have you ever cleaned the carb? Ever changed the spark plug?
Old 12-30-2016, 01:34 PM

Pull the steel wool out of the muffler. Same thing with mine but once I removed it I did not have a long warm up time, a bit louder but for sure runs better.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:27 PM

I own the same auger and from my experience:

1) always warm up the engine at least 3-5 minutes
2) don't ever put premium fuel in the tank as it specifically states to run 87 octane.
3) run a small amount of sea foam in your tank at the start of each season and fuel stabilizer at the end of each season
Old 12-30-2016, 02:43 PM

First things to check, is your exhaust plugged, do you have a new plug installed and have you run some some Sea Foam mixed in the gas. If all these steps are done then likely all you need to do is adjust your high speed mixture screw. Mark the starting point with a Sharpie for both the hi and low speed mixture screws. Try going a quarter turn leaner on the high speed, turn screw clockwise,and see if it revs out better. If not try a 1/4 turn fatter from original setting.

If a quarter turn each way changes nothing, return screw to original setting. It is likely your high speed jet is plugged. Pull carb and clean jet.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
2) don't ever put premium fuel in the tank as it specifically states to run 87 octane.
Here's the exact quote from page 8 of the Honda GX35 user manual that comes with every Strikemaster Honda.

"This engine is certified to operate on unleaded gasoline with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher (a research octane rating of 91 or higher)."

It doesn't "specifically" say to use 87 octane. You just made that up.

Myself and countless mechanics would never recommend anyone use fuel that contains ethanol in their small engines. It'll do a lot more harm than good.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
Here's the exact quote from page 8 of the Honda GX35 user manual that comes with every Strikemaster Honda.

"This engine is certified to operate on unleaded gasoline with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher (a research octane rating of 91 or higher)."

It doesn't "specifically" say to use 87 octane. You just made that up.

Myself and countless mechanics would never recommend anyone use fuel that contains ethanol in their small engines. It'll do a lot more harm than good.
I was just about to say that my manual says use 87 or higher. Not just 87. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice though.The auger is 3 years old, and I bought it second hand.The original owner said that he only used it less than half a dozen times as his son in law has 1 and they just use his. It looks like it too,as the one I bought looks brand new.He started it up for me when I was there, and showed me everything on there.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
Having a problem with my ice auger.The auger is a StrikeMaster Honda 35cc lite Gas Auger.I let the engine warm up but when I go to drill a hole, it almost always bogs down to the point of stalling. It starts up on the first pull and idles nice and smooth, but as soon as you put any kind of load on it stalls.I even put premium fuel in it.
Let it warm up for a solid 5 minutes. Don't put a lot of downwards pressure on the auger when you cut and clean the ice chips out of the hole if the ice is thick.

The gas cap on the Honda Gx35 also doesn't vent properly. If your machine bogs down try unscrewing the gas cap until you hear air sucking into the fuel tank, that should fix it. Try and be mindful of that and crack the gas cap open from time to time.

Some people also had problems with the fuel line being pinched by a clip. Follow the fuel line that leaves the gas tank and look if it's pinched by that little black clip. Pull the line out if it's being pinched.

Oh and also; not all premium fuel is ethanol free. Only premium from Shell, Co-op and certain Centex's stations are %100 ethanol free.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Let it warm up for a solid 5 minutes. Don't put a lot of downwards pressure on the auger when you cut and clean the ice chips out of the hole if the ice is thick.

The gas cap on the Honda Gx35 also doesn't vent properly. If your machine bogs down try unscrewing the gas cap until you hear air sucking into the fuel tank, that should fix it. Try and be mindful of that and crack the gas cap open from time to time.

Some people also had problems with the fuel line being pinched by a clip. Follow the fuel line that leaves the gas tank and look if it's pinched by that little black clip. Pull the line out if it's being pinched.

Oh and also; not all premium fuel is ethanol free. Only premium from Shell, Co-op and certain Centex's stations are %100 ethanol free.
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'll give this a try first chance I get, as it'll be next week before I can get out again. Will let you know how it works out.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The auger is 3 years old, and I bought it second hand.The original owner said that he only used it less than half a dozen times as his son in law has 1 and they just use his.
He might not have used ethanol free fuel in it and then stored it improperly. Ethanol fuel stored over winter in an auger can cause a lot of problems.

A lot of people use a few drops of Seafoam in the gas tank to keep their augers running properly. I would use a good shot of Seafoam to clean out all that crap from your engine.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM

It sounds like the engine is running lean. You were saying that auger is almost new. When engine is starting to break in it runs with higher RPM and need additional fuel. Just to open 1/8 or 1/4 turn high speed needle.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Myself and two fishing buds each bought one of these beginning of last ice season, when CT was clearing them out. Myself and one other guy had problems with the motor bogging and loosing power under load (once warmed up) like you describe. His only acted up a couple of times but mine seemed to have the issue almost every time out. We all run Shell premium fuel.
Quote:
Just took it out for the first time this year, same problem. Gave this a try, ran great the rest of the day.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

https://www.amazon.com/Strike-Master.../dp/B005HMS2C4

If you're getting airlock this will solve the problem. Unscrew the vent when drilling then tighten it up when your done. I'm not sure but strikemaster jiffy and eskimo all look like they have the same cap so one should fit the other.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 PM

If the auger didn't see much use I would bet the carb is gummed up.
Two options run some carb cleaner in it let it sit for a day then run the **** out of it and hope that cleans it up enough or take it apart and give it a proper cleaning.
Bogging down means two things air or fuel problems.
As mentioned don't over look your tank venting or pinched lines.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:05 PM

Yep these guys are all on the right page. I got ten inch strike master magnum...he's a great machine but never run old fuel premix fuel in them and like the other guys said check that fuel cap if it's boggy under a load and of course the plug is an easy fix. If it still has issues you then know it needs a good carb cleaning. Honda has a wicked product in my opinion for small carbs. Strike master a little more finicky than my old jiffies but just as tough.