Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Default Fishing "the forks"

Heading to "the forks" for the first time, anyone have any info on water levels and/or good spots to tent and fish from the shoreline? Thx in advance!!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM

which forks?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM

If you are talking about the forks by Taber it opens for fishing at may 8th. The water levels will probably be pretty high and dirty and you may not get into the camping area if its muddy and high rivers.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Sorry guys, I guess I should be more specific. Yes, the forks near taber. Where the Oldman runs into the South saskatchewan. Do you happen to know where abouts is this camping area located? Any amenities? (ex. wood, water) Thanks for the info.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeMasterFlex View Post
Sorry guys, I guess I should be more specific. Yes, the forks near taber. Where the Oldman runs into the South saskatchewan. Do you happen to know where abouts is this camping area located? Any amenities? (ex. wood, water) Thanks for the info.
that Forks is near Grassy lake...There is rough camping right at thewaters edge if there is no fire ban on. Watch out for rattlesnakes, they arent a bad as when i was a kid but they are still there.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM

cactus country big time, if you get into the grass make sure you are wearing sturdy footgear, and watch out for your dogs if you have them along. and for gawds sake be careful where you sit!!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 PM

As of Tue. afternoon the water levels on the Oldman are normal, same with the Bow.So access to the island is easy.But every year they open up the dam the same time as opening day.By the third or fourth day of fishing its running through the chanel of the island. If your camped there keep an eye on the water levels the river comes up fast.You can get traped on island. There are limited fishing spots so I'm thinking if your not there by Thur. you won't get a spot.That place is getting so busy its no more fun there.And way over fished. As far as amenities there mite be toilet paper in the dirty outhouses.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
As of Tue. afternoon the water levels on the Oldman are normal, same with the Bow.So access to the island is easy.But every year they open up the dam the same time as opening day.By the third or fourth day of fishing its running through the chanel of the island. If your camped there keep an eye on the water levels the river comes up fast.You can get traped on island. There are limited fishing spots so I'm thinking if your not there by Thur. you won't get a spot.That place is getting so busy its no more fun there.And way over fished. As far as amenities there mite be toilet paper in the dirty outhouses.
yup i agree...ripped by there 3 times on the sled last year and Woodstock was the first thing that came to my mind
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
yup i agree...ripped by there 3 times on the sled last year and Woodstock was the first thing that came to my mind
I got stuck in my boat the first run through the canel last year.The really high water dos'nt start for a couple of weeks. I think its going to be high this year with the snow pack we have in the mountains. Its going to be fun boating this year.

Last edited by Dale S; 05-03-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post

...Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like if I am looking for a quiet weekend of solitude, this is not the place to go?? That is really dissapointing, its sad how great fishing spots turn into places to party. Any suggestions where a guy could pitch a tent, catch some sturgeon and relax without being bothered?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 PM

There are'nt very many puplic access spots along most of the sturgen waters. And where there is, its busy.