Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default The Create a Fly or Lure With Whats at Hand Contest

Rules:
- You can use the hook and 1 conventional thread of your choice... everything else must be scrounged.
- Materials can be anything excluding conventional fly/lure making materials.
- You can use any tools you want .

Prizes:
- 6 of your favorite beer

- Closed to submissions (pictures) June 25
- The winner based on votes will be declared June 30
- Ties broken by coin flip(s)

Good Luck!

Edit: As this includes lure and fly making mods might want to move it to fishing discussion?

edit2: I'm still thinking of refining the rules... any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by drhu22; 05-30-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 PM

fun idea. thanks.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:50 PM

Are multiple entries allowed? I would like to do one fly and one lure. Or if I get really bored could I do multiples of each and still be eligible?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Are multiple entries allowed? I would like to do one fly and one lure. Or if I get really bored could I do multiples of each and still be eligible?
I think Ill keep it to a max of one fly, one lure per entrant

Also Ill have to limit the beer price to $25 so I dont have to shell out for some rare pygmie ceremonial recipe that is $1000 a six pack.

Last edited by drhu22; 05-31-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:05 AM

Im in! and it should be good because I have never tied a fly, but just got all the equipment haha
Old 06-01-2018, 03:34 PM

haha sounds awesome....Im sure even if i used regular supplies, it would look sooooo bad that nobody would be able to tell..lol
I think i may give this a try.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:25 PM

This is a great idea. I've got a few ideas kicking around so count me in
Edit: are beads allowed? And if I was to say cut open some copper wire from my garage I could use this for a ribbing material or are we going even less conventional?
Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 PM

Here’s one I made a couple years ago out of a piece of 3/4” copper tube.
When I used it it swam upside down, but still gave some action.
I think that if I spent some time putting some weight in it’s belly it would swim upright and be not a bad lure.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:59 PM

I don’t have fly tying equipment, but if I did, I’d make a jig out of frayed jeans for this contest.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I don’t have fly tying equipment, but if I did, I’d make a jig out of frayed jeans for this contest.
Vice grips make a good makeshift tying vice... very much in the spirit of the contest, I would think. After that, hooks and some thread sewing thread.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
Vice grips make a good makeshift tying vice... very much in the spirit of the contest, I would think. After that, hooks and some thread sewing thread.
Yup... after that, some dryer lint, threads from clothes, strips from plastic bags, parts from cheap jewelry, etc. As long as its scrounged materials not normally used for fly tying or lure making.

As far as beads go... I guess if they are scrounged from some object that is not fly/lure making related its ok. Originality/creativity will be important in judging a winner.

Dewey Cox... some fine workmanship there!

Last edited by drhu22; 06-04-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Some ideas for materials might be Christmas decorations, your junk drawer, clothes, different kinds of tape, the Bosses jewelry, aluminum cans, candy and food wrappers/packaging, to name a few.

Ill have to include scavenged wire as allowed as it meets the most important qualifications.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM

this is what i came up with. a simple caddis pupa. i used an old piece of extension cord for the rib. calico cat underfur for the abdomen and golden retriever underfur for the thorax. easy simple and i have no doubt it would catch a trout or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180613_113340_463.jpg (47.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 06-13-2018, 11:57 AM

i would post pics of the animals but it won't let me upload the pictures of them for some reason. ill try again later
Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyfisherman View Post
this is what i came up with. a simple caddis pupa. i used an old piece of extension cord for the rib. calico cat underfur for the abdomen and golden retriever underfur for the thorax. easy simple and i have no doubt it would catch a trout or two.
Nice job newflyfisherman... you are officially the front runner for the grand prize!

I agree... that will catch some fish. Maybe the dog scent will make it even more attractive.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
When I was a kid before I could buy tying stuff I would hold the hook in one hand and steel my moms thread and find anything I could to make a fly. I vise does help though
Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 PM

I've tied this for a few years. The body is a segment of carpet underlay. The sparkle thread was in my sewing box and the feather came from my couch cushions.... the feather top exploded under the cover. Maybe that's cheating, but I did have it on hand and it wasn't a specialty buy.

Looking on the internet it seems some other people have had the same idea, so maybe that disqualifies me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ant1.jpg (52.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg ant2.jpg (44.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg ant3.jpg (84.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Very nice.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-26-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I've tied this for a few years. The body is a segment of carpet underlay. The sparkle thread was in my sewing box and the feather came from my couch cushions.... the feather top exploded under the cover. Maybe that's cheating, but I did have it on hand and it wasn't a specialty buy.

Looking on the internet it seems some other people have had the same idea, so maybe that disqualifies me.
Also very nice.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 AM

Just got back from 10 days fishing, while I was out sitting in camp one day I decided to look around and give this a shot. The bull trout were hitting green flies hard, so I used sisal twine for the body, colored green with a marker. A piece of green pop can folded and a hole punched through for a head, and the under body was another piece of can folded in half. Only had fly tieing thread so that's what I used. It wasn't pretty, but did hook 5 nice bulls before hooking a log and loosing it. Not sure how to post pictures.

Matt
Old 07-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Banned

Thanks for the submissions and posts everyone!

I really didn't plan this very well especially regarding the picking of winners so I'll just pick one.

Still deciding and working out some details... Ill post winner(s?) and details tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Banned

Default And The Winner Is! drum roll....................

Its a tie between the ant and caddis... you can flip a coin between yourselves or each get a 6p totalling $25.00 or less. Ill pre pay for whatever you want at the Co-op liquor store near 16th ave and 3rd st NW.

Please post and let me know your preference ie: winner from coin flip or a 6p for each. Ill set it up with the Co-op liquor store this week and you can pick up the beer next Saturday.

pm me to arrange password for pick up

Happy Canada Day eh!?

Last edited by drhu22; 07-01-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Better give it to the ant I don't drink. Thank you though! That was fun.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Better give it to the ant I don't drink. Thank you though! That was fun.
If you dont drink alcohol, just let me know what you would like instead... I think the rules can be bent.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Great idea; keep the thread going and forget the prize.

Easter basket grass makes great scud back and various colors of lint from your drier makes good dubbing. Cut open any type of bunji cord and you will find many colors of latex for body wrap or tailing materials. Antron fibers are all over you home in carpet an upholstery. Cut electrical cord bares red, copper, green, and black wire of varying diameters.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Its a tie between the ant and caddis... you can flip a coin between yourselves or each get a 6p totalling $25.00 or less. Ill pre pay for whatever you want at the Co-op liquor store near 16th ave and 3rd st NW.

Please post and let me know your preference ie: winner from coin flip or a 6p for each. Ill set it up with the Co-op liquor store this week and you can pick up the beer next Saturday.

pm me to arrange password for pick up

Happy Canada Day eh!?
With the month I've had, any act of kindness is accepted! But I'll do a kindness in turn. I'll tie up a few of these ants for you and we can find a way to get them to you. I'll pm you in a bit. Newflyfisherman, if you're comfortable giving me your mailing address, I can send a few your way as well.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 AM

I never did get the time to work on my entries. Congratulations to the winners

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
With the month I've had, any act of kindness is accepted! But I'll do a kindness in turn. I'll tie up a few of these ants for you and we can find a way to get them to you. I'll pm you in a bit. Newflyfisherman, if you're comfortable giving me your mailing address, I can send a few your way as well.
That sounds awesome commieboy, I would love some of those... I still have to set this up with the Co-op liquor store so I'll pm you when I do and give you pick up details and my address.

Re Flymph's suggestion to keep the thread going: Im all for that... well see if people keep posting here and if not we can just start a new thread.

Thanks again everyone for posting your creations and comments!

Last edited by drhu22; 07-04-2018 at 04:43 PM.