Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Default Good Luck My Friend!

Just got in the door from my mentor/hunting partner/great friend's house. He and our other friend are hitting the road first thing in the morning and driving up to Anchorage, AK.

From there, they will get on a float plane and fly 2 hrs south to a wall tent an spend up to 15 days hunting Brown Bears!

They stumbled into this hunt half price due to cancellations 9 days ago, so it's been quite the scramble needless to say.

We sat back, had a beer and spent 2 hours telling hunting stories that we've re-lived 100 times, and enjoyed them like it was the first telling! Cool evening!

I wish the boys the best of luck, and they will not be back until probably the end of May or early June. Our other buddy just got in tonight from Kodiac, and he ended up taking an 8.5' with a rifle after hunting hard with his bow, but the conditions and weather really conspired against him. He is the one that gave the guys the 'heads up' on the opportunity.

Man, I'm so excited for them that it's crazy! I wish it was me, but frankly, I can't think of two other people that have spent their lives working their azzes off to get in the position to take advantage (barely) of a hunt like this. I wish them all the best, and I'll keep y'all updated and pics WILL be posted! Good luck guys and be safe!

Tree
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM

Default ...

If I was only paying half price I would fly up and save like 30 hours of driving. I guess they'll see more wildlife driving anyways. Good deal on the hunt though.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:45 PM

James, they didn't have time to get their passports to fly. You can still drive across with 2 pieces of ID. Also, they will be using the outfitter's guns. Short notice is a batch!

The boys are in Whitehorse right now ripping it up with some family! They'll cross into AK tomorrow and hit Anchorage the day after and fly out on the 9th. I'll keep ya updated as I'll be getting some calls from the Sat phone.

Tree

(Edit) Is that RANDY in your avitar? lol
Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Default ...

Yes it's Mr. lahey and Randy from Trailer Park Boys....I got to go on stage with them on Saurday night and I won the Trailer Park Boys trivia....its on youtube I'll send it to you in a PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 AM

Tree
I must say that the road trip is one of the best parts. Me and a buddy drive to the west coast every year, 22 hours from Calgary to Port Hardy enjoy the drive just as much as the fishing that follows.
G