Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 AM

Default Spring bear plans

Well fellas looks like we are going to give the Dutch Creek area a try again this Spring. Looking for my first bear. We've been SKUNKED on our two previous attempts. The first year we went way too early in the season. The second year we started seeing bears the last day of our hunt (May 11-12ish) This year we plan to go the last few days of the season. Going to try something different this year and take the horses. I think we will see more country and it will be a different experience never hunted with my horses. Our plan as of right now is to head for the hills Sunday May 11 and hunt Monday thru to season close (Thurs 15th) Like I do this time every year I gotta ask: Anybody thats willing to share any tips/comments to please do so. I think my wife is getting suspicous, I will have went bear hunting 3 consecutive years and so far have come home with nothing but a hangover and an empty wallet. I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM

I am not sure where Dutch Creek is so i can't help you there.If you come to northern alberta i can get you a bear every night.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Where in Northern Ab are you talking?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Where in Northern Ab are you talking?
Everywhere!

Drive north, get out, walk 1/2 mile, sit down, shoot your bear, walk 1/2 mile, drive home with your bear.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Does nobody hunt the south for bear?

I hear a bunch raving about the north, does nobody hunt the south for spring bear. I am looking to hunt the "Gap" area (402). We camped at Dutch Creek last year and hunted throughout that area. Does anybody else hunt this area? Any tips or comments?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Dutch Creek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwarburton View Post
I hear a bunch raving about the north, does nobody hunt the south for spring bear. I am looking to hunt the "Gap" area (402). We camped at Dutch Creek last year and hunted throughout that area. Does anybody else hunt this area? Any tips or comments?
My buddies and I have been hunting the Dutch Creek area for 20 years...in all honesty, you'll see a he** of a lot more griz in that area (west of the Gap) than you will blackies...don't get me wrong, beautiful country, great area to get out in, or ride the horses in, but no he** for big black bear - there are so many big griz in the area that the blackies get pushed out into the foothills...

We've seen some huge griz in that area, and in all of the years hunting in there, one of our buddies (from Saskatchewan) had the sh** scared out of him by a blackie so he shot it (about six or seven times I recall - it wan't pretty, nor was it a big bear...

I've seen a few smaller blackies in the area, but they seemed to be few and far between...

I keep hearing all of the talk about blackies in the Porcupines...I have only hunted turkeys in the Porcs...in my honest opinion, if all of this talk of blackies in the Porcs is true, then I suggest you get some info. from a few of the guys on this Board that know the Porcs well...

In any event, take my two cents for what it is worth...enjoy the hunt wherever you decide to go, enjoy the ride and best of luck! Stay safe in griz country!

tyee43
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Hoochie Papa

I've been hunting the porkies for the last few years. Never once have I seen a blackie in there. Saw some older tracks in the snow once.

That would be one of the last places I would look for a good bear. IMHO

We should just go hit a rodeo cab somewhere and get a hangover and empty wallet AGAIN.

Joe
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Joe you Crazy Sum Buck!

Joe you fool! No more rodeo cab's for this old cowboy. The wifey don't care for them kinda antic's anymore. Ya we sure did a number on your wallet a time or two, got some great stories that could never be told too. Think I am going to stick to the Spring Bear Plans instead of the Spring Devorce Plans. Appreciate the invite though.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 AM

Default Any action in the south fellas?

Any body seeing any bears in the south? Thought I seen a picture of one from the 402 area on this board earlier. Anywho, wish me luck leaving after work this afternoon. Can't hardly wait! Made sure rifle was on last nightm, all my gear is in the truck, and for the next few days I am on vacation! Whoot Whoot!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:32 AM

I was out last Wednesday and found some sign from an impressive blackie up the Oldman River, above the Oldman Falls rec site. It was my first trip to that area, and man, is it ever nice. Looks like it should have a few bears around. Good luck!!!