Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-26-2023, 09:41 AM

Default Got a cow elk tag… looking for land owners…..

With elk hanging out on their land willing to…… er… Waitaminit……

I already got all the landowner access I need… calls and contacts were all made last spring/summer…..!

Nevermind.

He heeeeeeee!!!

Headin out fer a glass and a scout.

Deliver Xmas cookies to good friends…. Get caught up,share smiles…See if folks need fencing chores this spring, springtime in the hills is amazing!….. elk r sure as heck hard on fences.

M daughter is raring to go. My son has the tag this year.
It’s become a 15 year long tradition.. and time in the bush with your kids is priceless.

One of the KEY things to remember when hunting is always work hard on spending on these two things:

- time

- relationships

The longer I live, the more I’m leaning towards the belief that those two things are really the only things of value….

Off we goes!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-26-2023, 10:03 AM

Have fun. When I first started hunting, it was all about filling tags. Then I became more selective, and I became more of a trophy hunter. And then, I started to just enjoy being out with friends and family, and filling tags became a bonus. Now I enjoy taking out new hunters, and sharing the experience with them, and when they fill a tag, I enjoy it even more than if I filled the tag.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:16 AM

Elkhunter, it appears you have evolved through the 4 stages of hunter growth, well done.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Elkhunter, it appears you have evolved through the 4 stages of hunter growth, well done.
Four out of my last five draw tags were filled by youth/new hunters, and probably 2/3 of the upland birds were killed by a youth last fall. The only time I feel compelled to rack up a body count, is when I hunt waterfowl with sns2, as he gets grumpy if I pass on birds.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Have fun. When I first started hunting, it was all about filling tags. Then I became more selective, and I became more of a trophy hunter. And then, I started to just enjoy being out with friends and family, and filling tags became a bonus. Now I enjoy taking out new hunters, and sharing the experience with them, and when they fill a tag, I enjoy it even more than if I filled the tag.
I was told the last stage is hunting with a camera, I'm almost there. I still get ramped up every fall when Elk season rolls around, string up the long bow, get comfortable with the pack. Havent had success the last few years and did an analysis of the years I was successful vs the years I wasn't. It came down to effort put in, the last few years I reduced my radius of hunting area due to effort required to pack out if successful. In my younger years, I didn't care where they were, I was going in and staying there till I got one. , I wasn't going where the elk were.

Going back to that mentality, old age be damned.....lol
Old 12-26-2023, 12:49 PM

Bessie - excellent. Looking forward to your reports and pictures. Have a great time with your family and wishing your son success.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:24 PM

Good luck Bessie,

We have 2 tags for zone 360, and heading up there on Jan 5th for 4 days.
However their feeding habits may not be the same as previous late seasons with the mild winter.
Only having to scratch through 1-2” of snow in the bush to feed.

TBark
Old 12-26-2023, 09:44 PM

Look forward to your thread every year. May the elk be plentiful your way. In 300 they being pretty stingy for us haha
Old 12-27-2023, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Bessie - excellent. Looking forward to your reports and pictures. Have a great time with your family and wishing your son success.
Wasn't he crying and whining the one year? That's the mighty high horse he has to make fun of someone else's post.

Hmm.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Good luck Bessie,

We have 2 tags for zone 360, and heading up there on Jan 5th for 4 days.
However their feeding habits may not be the same as previous late seasons with the mild winter.
Only having to scratch through 1-2” of snow in the bush to feed.

TBark
hi man i was born up there if yo get something would you bring me the hide i want to tan it.my draw is expired or i would be there now thanks i dont live far from you

Last edited by peonu2; 12-27-2023 at 02:51 PM. Reason: extra thought