Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-02-2024, 04:43 PM

Default 7 Coyote Day

It’s my anniversary today. I’m on the crap list and racing home to take her out for dinner. Pictures and story to follow later this evening. I got out late and had to quit early, but I did four sets. Called in 8 and killed 7. The one that got away would have been a quad. God I love hunting coyotes. Wish me luck with my wife. I’m going to need it.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:01 PM

Looking forward to the story Lou.. I honestly can’t think of a better way of spending a wedding anniversary than calling coyotes.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Looking forward to the story Lou.. I honestly can’t think of a better way of spending a wedding anniversary than calling coyotes.
Reminds me of a song, I'm gonna miss her.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-02-2024, 08:35 PM

Jut live up to your profile name and you should be good. Looking forward to hunting story though.....
Old 01-02-2024, 08:49 PM

Great job on the coyotes, good luck with the wife
Old 01-02-2024, 09:10 PM

But Honey, 7 yotes out of 4 stands Now just need to make the work, strategy, and luck for the evening!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-02-2024, 11:05 PM

Okay. So, I did some scrambling. She’s fed and sassy. I’m still alive. Hopefully she’s too full and won’t want me to perform - as I’m also too full. Maybe morning…. Yes, morning….

Never got going until about 10:00 this morning. Was pea soup fog everywhere and it was socked in. A little bit of preface. I was down to my last six, 6mm AI rounds as I built a new loading bench and I’m waiting for my press stand from Inline to arrive before installing the press. Yes, I have other rifles, but I’m in love with this one right now. This detail will come to light later.

Stand #1

I like calling this spot. It’s rich in coyotes. Every time I have called it, it produces multiples. Although my last time calling there, was a disaster. But that, is another story. The wind was a touch different than what I normally play here, so I snuck up a treed fence line looking for a suitable hide. I ended up going further than I had intended originally but found a spot I liked. Wasn’t overly suited for the rifle, so I decided to leave the caller in the pack and run mouth calls. If it’s a shotgun situation, may as well put them in my lap. I let rip with a series of rabbit screams and hunkered in. Within about 3 minutes, I spy a set of ears moving quickly above the grass along the trees about 100 yards away. Then another set of ears as the first coyote materializes in front of me. I was tucked right into the shadows and both coyotes were now in my view. The first one started angling towards my position and I readied myself with the shotgun. Again the coyote stopped. The second coyote was still stationary behind the first and about 25 yards separated them. Ever so slowly, I raised my hand to my lips and started squeaking. Both coyotes perked their ears right up and launched towards me. Knowing I was going to have to be fast and efficient, I elected to take the rear coyote first. Coyote one was jumping up and running as it closed at about 15 yards and #2 at 40ish when I thought “I better do some shooting before this thing lands in my lap”, rose up and pounded a load of #4 buck into the chest and face of the trailing coyote. Coyote #1 wheeled and started retreating. It received 2 quick shots and died only feet from the other. I was jacked right up. Today could be good!

Set #2

Never called before. Sign everywhere. Was a total bust. Not even a magpie. Oh well. I have permission a mile to the north. There must be coyotes somewhere close.

Set #3

I’ve never called this spot either. Had a pretty good idea where I needed to be. Using another treed fence line, I slunk in and selected a hide. I didn’t want to be tight to the trees as I don’t have permission on the other side of the fence. So a semi grassy area with a little bit of elevation about 150 yards from the trees will have do. I had a real hunch when setting up that I could shotgun one here. Caller about 30 yards away, I tucked into the grass and broke the silence. About the six minute mark, I see a coyote coming over a little rise. It’s about 120 yards away and just looking for the source of the sounds. I switched to a coaxer and gave the decoy a couple little flicks. Immediately, the coyote zones right in on the decoy and is charging hard. I let it close on the decoy to about 10’ and popped up. The coyote saw me about the time I had the gun shouldered and the look of surprise in its eyes - oh my. A quick double tap, and I’ve got my third shotgun coyote down. Seeing as things happened pretty fast, I get on the distress again. A hear a male light up with some howls. Not challenging or anything. Figured he was calling for his b**ch. So I challenged him. He immediately challenges back. A back and forth commences and continues for the next 10 minutes or more. He’s getting closer and closer. I figure I’ve pulled him closer than 300 yards now. He’s in the bubble and is pretty much obligated to come and investigate if he hears pup distress. My hunch is right as he appears quickly after hearing the pup distress. He closes to about the 75 yard mark and I can only assume that he saw the dead coyote laying there. He turns to depart and I get on the rifle. One soft wwwoooo and turns and stops, offering me a broadside shot. BOOM! THWOP! The 75gr Vmax tucks right into the pocket and he folds hard. Yes! Two doubles and three are shotgunned! I could go home now and be happy. But I’m greedy.

Set #4

A couple weeks ago, in my 3-2-1 thread, there was a stand that I fell apart and let three get away from me. My friend, who owns the acres there had sent me a couple evening recordings of all the howling in the evenings since I had been there. I decided to give in and call it a week earlier than I normally give between intrusions. Selecting a different spot to call from, I begun my trek in. The wind was starting to become fickle, and a switch was at hand sooner than later. So I set up in a manner that would afford me some leniency when it did switch. I started with some coyote vocals and received no answers. At around the 9 minute mark, I saw a coyote about 400 yards west of me. With the wind still out of the SW, I wasn’t worried as it sort of angled my direction. I glanced to the south of me and saw a coyote come out of the creek, then another. They were coming my way, the first coyote had locked onto them and was coming towards them as well. I felt the kiss of wind out of the east on the back of my neck and knew I wouldn’t be able to let them close in tight. There was some serious body posturing going on between them as they moved in. I had the rifle shouldered already. Remember how I said I was down to six rounds starting the day? Well, I had 5 remaining but somehow lost one in my truck before heading in to this stand. So there’s four hot in the rifle. Fearing that they would wind me soon, I threw down and proceeded to put forth one of the finest displays of marksmanship I’m capable of. One coyote stops at about 175 yards. BOOM! THWOP! 3 rounds left. I pull into a smooth lead with both eyes open and the trigger breaks. BOOM! THWOP! And the scope is filled with an image of ears, legs and tail cartwheeling along the ground. 2 rounds left. A quick adjustment on the bipod and I fall into a comfortable lead on the third which is now crowding the 300 yard mark. BOOM! THWOP! “Oh yeah! If this isn’t redemption then I don’t know what is!” I’m really jacked up over what just went down. I want to get up but look at the timer and I’m only 12 minutes in. I’ll call again. So I rip another series of rabbit. Something is shining to the west of me again. A Quick look confirms, it’s another coyote. After several attempts with the rabbit to entice, it’s still on its haunches. Pup distress. This gets it moving. But it’s closing quite cautiously and the wind is going to give me away at any moment. One round left. It stops and is looking at me. I can only see its head. I’ll admit, I panicked a bit at the thought of a quad escaping me and I needlessly rushed the shot. I should have waited or taken my time but I was confident. BOOOOOOOMMMMMM! My last round. “No thwop?” And the coyote is bounding away. Then stops broadside. Runs again. Stops broadside. “My god. Why did I not look harder for the round I lost in the truck? I really need it right now!” Not to be. I watch the coyote retreat to the creek. I’m left alone, on my butt; the highest of highs, dashed by a dirty low. Three will have to do.

Hope you enjoyed the read and pics. Pretty happy with the day and I promise, more to come. I would have killed to have made one more stand this afternoon, but keeping my testicles proved to be of higher priority. The 6mmAI is on the sidelines until I can load some ammo and the Howa 1500 .223 is in the game once again. I haven’t used it for a while, but it has been a prolific killer for me over several years. It’s actually good that I’m being forced to use it again. I’m getting spoiled with this 6mm action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big Lou; 01-02-2024 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:10 AM

Awesome day of coyote calling and a great write up! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on the anniversary as well.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:46 AM

That's sweet Lou, a great day of whacking dogs for sure, I haven't been out since before Xmas, was gone to the kids for 5 days and a bit under the weather the last week or so, feeling better today so may run out and try to pop one or two.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:04 AM

Well done.... great story and great photos!
Old 01-03-2024, 06:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
It’s my anniversary today. I’m on the crap list and racing home to take her out for dinner. Pictures and story to follow later this evening. I got out late and had to quit early, but I did four sets. Called in 8 and killed 7. The one that got away would have been a quad. God I love hunting coyotes. Wish me luck with my wife. I’m going to need it.
Make her a fur jacket and it’s all good.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-03-2024, 06:57 AM

Great thread!!! Thanks for sharing and excellent shooting!
Old 01-03-2024, 07:38 AM

Oh man, such a great write-up and pictures! Thanks for sharing your success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Make her a fur jacket and it’s all good.
See, now this is where this forum shines... Helpful ideas like this! Could be a life-saver.

Congratulations on your anniversary as well!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:09 AM

That’s a terrific day. As a sheep producer with lambs arriving in the next few days, I so appreciate the guys out there thinning down the coyotes. I’ve taken as many as I could since hunting season closed but I’m pretty much stuck in the lambing barn for the next couple of months.
Keep up the great work, and congrats.

Craig
Old 01-03-2024, 10:16 AM

Holy smokes those are the days dreams are made of. The last stand though might be what nightmares are made of haha. Anytime I go into the field without double the ammo I think il need I dread that situation.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-03-2024, 10:17 AM

Awesome work and way to stay at er. Keep the posts coming.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:15 PM

Great story and keep them coming Lou. I could read yours and Tikka 250’s stories all day.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:02 PM

Great story and pictures. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:38 PM

Great read and pictures. Thanks for taking the time to put this up
Old 01-03-2024, 06:52 PM

What a great day. I'm glad the wife let you live to tell the story.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2024, 07:37 PM

Definitely a great write up!! Its stories like these that make me want to get a caller and give this a try sometime. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-03-2024, 07:38 PM

I appreciate the compliments, as well as the anniversary well wishes. As the efforts are well received, I’ll continue sharing. Never got out today but hopefully I can get out at least once in the next few days. Sunday is going to be a good day to call, but I’m headed out ice fishing that morning until Tuesday. It’s not calling coyotes but, it’s still enticing something.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:00 PM

Default Dogs

What a fantastic write up. Love the anticipation of mere minutes till decision time.
Well done
HFC