Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2016, 12:41 PM

Default Tips for shore fishing mexico?

Off to Mexico Feb 7 for a few weeks. I'll be 40-50km north of Puerto Vallarta.

Going to bring my 4 piece ft Fenwick rod and a decent heavy spin cast with some 20lb braid. Any ideas on what lures to chuck would be appreciated. Family vacation so not taking it too serious, however may head out early mornings before the kids get up and test the waters.

Any ideas, experiences, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Google XRAPS, Various colors etc I have had luck with, 4" ones. I bought 8 of them and snapped them onto a 6" steel lead just in case I got into a toothey bugger plus protects you from reefs.

Caught a lot of various species including bonefish.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2016, 02:31 PM

Roberts Rangers in red and white and blue and white. Surface tensions in white with the red stripe are really good too. Have to order all of them online from the states as they are impossible to get in Canada....
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 PM

What area are you going to be in?
Best lures are top water plugs that are weighted to cast a long distance. Small perch are close in the trench dug out by the waves in the sand like 30 feet from water edge is a deep spot then it gets shallow for a long ways. Big fish hange like 100y out you will see them jumping or chasing sardines. Check out the picture of my tackle i take.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=276548
Old 01-20-2016, 08:54 PM

thank you very much!! I have alot of the mentioned lures/gear. not sure how much time I'll get in so I won't go too crazy. but think I'll hit the fishing hole for a few other items.

will be 40 kms north of puerta vallarta.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 PM

Just got back from Cancun, and the weather was pretty wild. Hurricane winds and rain for most of our trip so no charters for me.

Fishing was best in the early morning, before the big waves really turned the shoreline to a frothy mess. Take the biggest rod you can, you will want to cast as far as possible.

I took an 8'6" and a 9' rods in a 4" PVC tube from Rona, they didn't charge me for oversize or extra baggage, as my checked luggage and rods didn't exceed the maximum weight limit.

Sebile Magic Swimmers worked well, but I had the most fun shark fishing after dark. Take a 7/0 - 9/0 hook and tie it up with some heavy wire leader to a heavy swivel. Place a 2-4oz banana weight on your mainline, I used Spiderwire Stealth in 65lb, and tie it to the swivel. Pick up some Lisa fish at the market, yes it's called Lisa. Cut it in half, either hook it through the lips on the head section, or through the thinnest scaled part of the tail on the tail section to keep it on the hook the best.

Cast it as far as you can, sit back, and get ready for fun! Jaw spreaders and hook outs are definitely recommended.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

If you are staying im Punta de minta i am thinking of heading up there to fish a couple times. i will be there the same time as you. Pm me when your there maybe we can figure out a place to meet and fish.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
If you are staying im Punta de minta i am thinking of heading up there to fish a couple times. i will be there the same time as you. Pm me when your there maybe we can figure out a place to meet and fish.
do you mean punta de mita? pm sent
Old 01-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Banned

I really think if you could find huge drop off on a rocky area and cast out a large suspending plug ,something like a jerk bait you will hammer many diff species.The plug will keep the toothy fish from swallowing it too deep and at the same time keeping your line/leader out of their mouth.Large hair jigs/swim baits sinking will surely be smashed by something and easier to negotiate over rocky structure,i would say a min of 2oz in size so you can really cast it out.8' rod minimum,60lb braid,something to grab the lip with that has a wrist strap and big pliers. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-21-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Just got back from Cancun, and the weather was pretty wild. Hurricane winds and rain for most of our trip so no charters for me.

Fishing was best in the early morning, before the big waves really turned the shoreline to a frothy mess. Take the biggest rod you can, you will want to cast as far as possible.

I took an 8'6" and a 9' rods in a 4" PVC tube from Rona, they didn't charge me for oversize or extra baggage, as my checked luggage and rods didn't exceed the maximum weight limit.

Sebile Magic Swimmers worked well, but I had the most fun shark fishing after dark. Take a 7/0 - 9/0 hook and tie it up with some heavy wire leader to a heavy swivel. Place a 2-4oz banana weight on your mainline, I used Spiderwire Stealth in 65lb, and tie it to the swivel. Pick up some Lisa fish at the market, yes it's called Lisa. Cut it in half, either hook it through the lips on the head section, or through the thinnest scaled part of the tail on the tail section to keep it on the hook the best.

Cast it as far as you can, sit back, and get ready for fun! Jaw spreaders and hook outs are definitely recommended.
How was the morning and evening fishing for predator fish?

Were you fishing structure or off a flat beach?

How steady was the shark fishing?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=275369
Old 01-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
How was the morning and evening fishing for predator fish?

Were you fishing structure or off a flat beach?

How steady was the shark fishing?
The weather was basically a constant hurricane for most of our trip, making evening predator fishing (other than for shark) pretty slow.

I fished reefs, rocky points, sandy beaches and piers. Every day but one, the waves had churned up the water into chocolate milk, making fishing slow.

However on the windiest night, during a rainstorm, I lost a large shark which snapped me off on the reef - taking over half of my line with it. Definitely recommend bringing more than one setup for this reason, finding fishing gear down there is a challenge.