Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned

Default Is this bear hunting?

Hello all...

I received this date stamped photo today. I'm not a black bear hunter myself but take no issue with others who do hunt black bears. Having said that, this photo disgusts me... Look at the size of the black bear... it's probably not even legal... The guys in the camp where this photo was taken were reportedly more focused on drinking (go figure!!) than anything else... This is not the way to show respect for the wildlife we hunt or to show others in society that hunters should be respected...

What are your collective thoughts?

Regards

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1395_test.jpg (77.8 KB, 860 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1395s.jpg (112.9 KB, 712 views)
Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 PM

i go on a taxidermy forum often and i found that people will take a cub so the can complet a display such as a mama and a couple of cubs or a cub beating a gopher... i dont find it bad to shoot a cub but teh drinking part doesnt make me happy, but they might have started drinking after they shot the bear as a celebration...just my 2 cents
Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Default Brutal

That is totally brutal and is the kind of crap that gives hunters a bad name. Those are likely the guys who were camping before us on my last bear trip. We picked up two garbage bags full of refuse (mostly beer cans) before we even put up the tents. We left the area spic and span when we left. I cannot believe how disrespectul some people are.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter99 View Post
That is totally brutal and is the kind of crap that gives hunters a bad name. Those are likely the guys who were camping before us on my last bear trip. We picked up two garbage bags full of refuse (mostly beer cans) before we even put up the tents. We left the area spic and span when we left. I cannot believe how disrespectul some people are.
THOSE ARENT SPORTSMEN THERE *****HOLES.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 AM

What the hell is wrong with some people? Who ever did this should hang their head in shame.. "PIGS" is the word that comes to mind when I saw this picture.. It makes me sick...

I can understand wanting to have a "little" fun but this went too far...
Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 AM
Tori

Thumbs down

Quote:
Look at the size of the black bear... it's probably not even legal...
I am sure it is a legal size bear just look at the size of that head to me anyway i do find the date interesting a bear in Feb..The way this bear is displayed it is truely done in bad taste it is hard to think why some do what they do.

Perhaps there judgment was clouded with too many drinks with the lack of respect for the wildlife they are hunting either way its not a good picture.I give it ten thumb's DOWNout of ten

Last edited by Tori; 05-04-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:56 AM

That aint hunting....thats for sure.Possibly these guys were working and uncovered a den. That would be my guess. I understand it happens sometimes with the oil and logging guys (not accusing either of these groups for this). This is VERY poor taste. Idiotic.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

Default kids

Looks like the work of some very immature kids. Very poor taste and gives hunters (and I don't include them in that definition) a bad name. Not something they should be proud of.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM

Default black bear hunting

I feel the same as Bigbadjohn
Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Angry bear

PATHETIC!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 AM

As pathetic as I think it is...

There are many around her who have, argued that as long as it is legal we as hunters shouldn't criticize. Makes us look divided.

Personally, I think that is a stupid argument and I spend alot of time,effort and put alot of thought into trying to make sure that as a hunter I'm not associated with folks like those who took these photos. Yes, it is applying my values and ethical framework to others (and some think this is wrong) but I'll do whatever it takes to let people know when they cross the line of bad taste (or worse).

This is what gives us a bad image everyone.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:47 PM

in my books those aren't true hunters. probly some *****holes out clear cuting a logging opperation and found a densite. TRUE hunters i hope would have more respect for the aminal than what these people are showing..

bigbadjohn is right THESE AREN'T SPORTSMEN THERE *****HOLES

Last edited by mud slug; 05-04-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I wouldn't expect anything else from those people who drink Pilsner beer
Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Booze and cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
As pathetic as I think it is...

There are many around her who have, argued that as long as it is legal we as hunters shouldn't criticize. Makes us look divided.

Personally, I think that is a stupid argument and I spend alot of time,effort and put alot of thought into trying to make sure that as a hunter I'm not associated with folks like those who took these photos. Yes, it is applying my values and ethical framework to others (and some think this is wrong) but I'll do whatever it takes to let people know when they cross the line of bad taste (or worse).

This is what gives us a bad image everyone.
Copid.......it's not another thread about "as long as it's legal" . This is not typical of my hunts either but this is the age of instant photography. Mix in a little booze and attach some pics on an email to your buddies and presto.........................instant rage from the self righteous. This is just stupid.......stupid for staging the picture and even stupider for attaching your pictures to an email. There is nothing wrong with the size of the bear.................the size of the minds that staged and distributed the pictures.........a little lacking. It's in bad taste for sure. I'm not even sure that posting it on this forum actually does any good either................of course nobody will support it.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM

It's disrespectful and classless.

Why give em' ammo

and there's nothing wrong with pilsner if there is nothing else

tm
Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 PM

It is a disgrace but then I think posting them again is in poor taste. Tell me there are slobs out there but don't commercialize the crap they take pride in.

Mods get ridd of the pic's please one of the moles on this forum will use these against hunters.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Good call Donny Bear.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-04-2008, 04:06 PM

I have no problems with the picture.

ITS A ****ING PICTURE DEAL WITH IT.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

ROA, you have a small mind im afraid.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Tori

Quote:
ITS A ****ING PICTURE DEAL WITH IT.
Sure its a pic but its what the pic represents something you dont see or your trolling for something perhaps .
Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 PM

that may have been the drink station for a camp, It may have been poor judjment putting the bear there but without info i cant judge.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM

I think that the picture on this site is not fuel for the antis.... **** head hunters are fuel for the antis.

The fact that most hunters on this forum disagree with the lack of respect is the total opposite of "fuel". It shows that most hunters are respectful.

More importantly than the drinking and disrespectful display - The bear is a cub and is a illegal bear - In BC where I took this photo. Im not sure of the bear hunting regs in Alberta but I think shooting a cub is pretty shameful no matter what the laws.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:36 PM

I don't care if they're drinking, it's no excuse. Absolutely disrespectful any way you look at it.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

Very disrespectful and classless. Reminds me of growing up in Fort Mac and seeing pics of moose hunts from the Newfoundlanders up there and their pics consisting of the lucky hunter dry humping the bull they harvested. Is this a newfie thing by the way?? It was always the newfie fellas that took these kind of pics it seemed.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM

First off the pics are in very poor taste.

But I think that bear is bigger than you are giving it credit for. Look at the nose on it plus the ears being relatively small and spread apart. Could be wrong but sure looks bigger than a cub.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 PM

The photo shows no taste......but it really doesnt bother me to much. I dont choose to take photos like that......but to each his own.......

His reputation will be at stake every time he pulls out his albumn and boasts about the bear he shot........9/10 people will loose respect for him.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Tastless photos.
We have some brews at out camp too, but...
Likely the hunt was a good proper legal hunt, right. May 2nd.
Maybe there were other photos taken too, and the photos not shown were the hunters properly posing with the bear, then all our replies would be, " good bear" "good for you guys"
But the photos chosen to be posted were these ones, too bad.

TBark
Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
More importantly than the drinking and disrespectful display - The bear is a cub and is a illegal bear - In BC where I took this photo. Im not sure of the bear hunting regs in Alberta but I think shooting a cub is pretty shameful no matter what the laws.
I'm not going to bother looking up the BC regs.....This bear is NOT illegal in AB. Considering it IS legal it would not be shameful. A newborn bear is tiny. Smaller than a human many times over...........a pound maybe. They are born in Jan (Feb?). That would eliminate this bear being this years cub. It is this years cubs that are usually protected from hunting. This bear is at least 1.5 years old (maybe 2.5).........and weened. You can shoot these bears if you want. A bear hunter would know this. To suggest it is shameful is beyond your capacity to judge................anyone. I suggest you know what you're talking about before you start judging people........no I haven't shot any cubs.............but if I do, I don't need some hunter who knows next to nothing about bears making a public judgement call on me.

What do you mean "where I took this photo"? There could only be one meaning. Are you personally responsible for distributing this trashy photo?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 PM

It's a stupid picture and doesn't belong here on this forum. It only serves to divide us as sportsmen and this is a far greater threat to our hunting heritage than anything the antis would think about it. They don't want bears hunted period, and want our guns melted into a lump of scrap... they could care less about how old the bear is, or the beer cans.

It's clearly a year and a half year old bear, legal, likely shot on May 5th, also legal, and last I checked drinking was still legal... Just more roadhunter weekend warrior yahoo garbage is all it is, but it doesn't have to be glorified, or judged here.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 05-04-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 PM

I did not make referance to the bear as pertaining to it's size. I am very aware that this bear has to be over a year in age. The point is that the picture is in bad taste and the Anyi hunting comunity will not post the negative feed back to promote hunters they will post the picture to cast a negative light on hunting. So ROA it's a dumb that reflects poorly on hunters, so sober up