Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-04-2008, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE
rugatika Looks like the work of some very immature kids. Very poor taste and gives hunters (and I don't include them in that definition) a bad name. Not something they should be proud of. [/QUOTE]
What would make you think kids? im 19 and i would never think of doing something like that. There is equal chance that it is a young or old person, ive met lots of young hunters that have higher standards of ethics and higher moral values than some older hunters ive met. That being said the pic is a horrible representation of all hunters and the people who took it should give their head a shake. I think drake pegged it, when he busts out the ol album his buddies will see who he really is
Old 05-04-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthook View Post
Hello all...

I received this date stamped photo today. I'm not a black bear hunter myself but take no issue with others who do hunt black bears. Having said that, this photo disgusts me... Look at the size of the black bear... it's probably not even legal... The guys in the camp where this photo was taken were reportedly more focused on drinking (go figure!!) than anything else... This is not the way to show respect for the wildlife we hunt or to show others in society that hunters should be respected...

What are your collective thoughts?

Regards

Mike
it is a pictre of unknown orgin posted by a anonymoose poster.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:45 PM

looks like a immature frat house prank [crappy ol bear skin rug]??? can't see it too good on my screen...Just a large order O' idiots with extra idiot sauce....hold the brain cells...chain
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 AM

I took the photo.

It is in BC, it was a large group of young hunters - I had no relationship with any of them.

The bear cub head is propped up for display only. The hide is elsewhere (if they even bothered with it) and the meat is under snow in a different area.

The problem I had with the situation is that the bear was tiny.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 AM

If you really are offended by the picture and the responsible sportsman and interneters you guys claim to be you would be demanding the picture be taken down and handing out shiot for the guy that put it up on a public forum for the world to see.

Rather I think you guys are into the latest craze, attempting to displaying moral superiority over other outdoorsman. Pontificating on how your mighty sense of right and wrong is the standard to which all others must be judged is anti behavior to it's fullest.

Taking pictures of other people then making poor judgements about them? SHAME!

Last edited by ROA; 05-05-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Rather I think you guys are into the latest craze, attempting to displaying moral superiority over other outdoorsman. Pontificating on how your mighty sense of right and wrong is the standard to which all others must be judged is anti behavior to it's fullest.
.....................well said.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
I took the photo.

It is in BC, it was a large group of young hunters - I had no relationship with any of them.

The bear cub head is propped up for display only. The hide is elsewhere (if they even bothered with it) and the meat is under snow in a different area.

The problem I had with the situation is that the bear was tiny.
"I had no relationship with any of them"............you are a witness. Did you say anything to these guys?

"The bear cub head is propped up for display only. The hide is elsewhere (if they even bothered with it) and the meat is under snow in a different area." ...................I see more than the head.

"The problem I had with the situation is that the bear was tiny.".........That is clearly not the problem with this photo.

Shooter.............you know, posting this photo...ok maybe you didn't personally post it....but you took the photo and distributed it and it ended up on here and who know where else it is posted? Your concern for the size of this bear, however well intentioned you thought it was............IS WRONG to be judged on a hunting site. This is a hunting site........and calf moose are legitimate targets too.

For the purposes of public safety, maybe cameras should be registered and users licensed
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
The photo shows no taste......but it really doesnt bother me to much. I dont choose to take photos like that......but to each his own.......

His reputation will be at stake every time he pulls out his albumn and boasts about the bear he shot........9/10 people will loose respect for him.
It's a matter of degree and personal taste. The bear is dead, it doesn't care. You said 9/10 people would lose respect for the photographer. I've got a news flash for you folks, in today's society, I would bet 6/10 or 7/10 will lose respect for you just for shooting the bear, period. Plenty of folks think it's classless and tasteless to put a deer head on a wall.

This pic is a little out there. Seems a little juvenile to me, but I have to shake my head a bit when I read complaints of how a particular after-the-kill trophy shot is taken is offensive or disrespectful. Outrage that the hunter seems to be sitting on the animal, claims that he's not a hunter at all. Seems a bit like nit-picking, based on some personal belief of what "respect" consists of. Your belief isn't the same as mine, or the same as a native person, or the same as the general public. If you can be offended by a pose, I guess an anti can be offended by animals on the wall, or the act of taking an animal simply for a trophy.

You can dress it up however you like, but we kill animals either for food, or to put on a wall, or to say we got the biggest or best, or to recreate times we had with our dads, or just enjoyment. Just the way it is. It's not some mystic communion with the animal. It would probably rather not be part of that communion
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM

It's not a cub this years cub right now are size of a house cat Likely a 2 yr old female The picture though is in extremely poor taste and bad for the hunting image take away the beer and its still posed very pooly like a snow man or scare crow poor taste all around

Gord
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Being judge by the likes of some of the self righteous defenders of the brain dead is a joke, for me this has not to do with the bears size, age or otherwise it has to do with the combination of booze and hunting the overall image but forgive me if I think we need to work to improve our image. Judge me for that and I will judge you the defenders of the stupid when we have lost all hope in todays society.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Being judge by the likes of some of the self righteous defenders of the brain dead is a joke, .
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM

At least they have good taste in Beer!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:03 PM

It is illegal to shoot a bear less than 2 years of age in British Columbia, FYI.

Pathetic slob hunters, IMO. Losers with no respect for anything walking in the bush. Real field photos focus on the animal and giving it respect in death.

Last edited by Tako; 05-07-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2008, 01:46 PM

X2
Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM

I think the pic is funnier than 'ell....

C'mon a a black bear drinkin beer in the snow how much more Canadian can you get than that!...

let's face it the bear is dead.... this whole respect the dead animal thing..... hey why not show more respect to the live animal and not kill it?!.....

I see the self-righteous on here coming out in droves and hanging these guys....

OKAY OKAY OKAY.... see it from this side.... how is that picture any less respectful than some guy killing a trophy bear.... taking a picture with his sponsored bow, in his sponsored camo, posted for a magazine that sponsors his hunts, for a cover of his latest hunting DVD that pays for him to go on such hunts.....and posed so that the animal looks as big as possible and the hunters face is recognisable.....Exactly How is that better.....

At least the dead bear in this picture looks like he is having more fun!.....

Pictures of dead animals regardless of pose, surroundings or accessories are going to tick some people off!....

Many of you have more problem with the surroundings than the subject.... the non-hunting public would look at this picture and a trophy picture and see the same thing... a dead animal......!

The only harm done is to the puffed up self righteous indignant folk that have no sense of humour whatsoever....

Many have said this just is bad for the hunting image!.... hey seeing a dead animal in a picture is bad for the hunting image..... but that is reality!...

Now I myself would not choose to pose a dead game animal in such a manner but the point was not to record a hunting moment but have some fun and be humourous..... thus annoying the politically correct police!

Lighten Up!.....

Of course they may have harvested the animal with a crossbow and dogs...... If that is the case then Let's hang 'em...

I do not know what is funnier.... the picture.... or the reactions!....

Cheers!....
Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Of course they may have harvested the animal with a crossbow and dogs...... If that is the case then Let's hang 'em
...and what would be wrong with that???????
Old 05-07-2008, 02:29 PM

To awnser the original question "is this bear hunting?" Well, by the looks of things, they're not at a zoo, they're in the bush, and the bear looks a little fresh to have died naturally, so i would say Yep, looks like a bear hunt to me.

Some people like to go out in the wild, get all ****ed up and act a bit wild themselves, and mix in a bit of hunting so they have an excuese to be out there. Others go out to hunt, stay stone cold sober and focused directly on the quarry at hand. I fall in the middle. Legal hunting hours, i am likely on stand, dedicated to hunting a bruin, but after dark, i might down a couple wobbly-pops or some rye and have a good hearty bull**** with the guys.

Who cares about the picture, to the guys responsible for it (aside from the photgrapher, apparently) it was a great time, and that is really what matters. The rest of you bitching, sit up on your high horse (apparently the smell of your own **** does not get that high) and enjoy the fact that IN YOUR OWN MIND, you are more ethical and moral creatures than this group of hunters.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
To awnser the original question "is this bear hunting?" Well, by the looks of things, they're not at a zoo, they're in the bush, and the bear looks a little fresh to have died naturally, so i would say Yep, looks like a bear hunt to me.

Some people like to go out in the wild, get all ****ed up and act a bit wild themselves, and mix in a bit of hunting so they have an excuese to be out there. Others go out to hunt, stay stone cold sober and focused directly on the quarry at hand. I fall in the middle. Legal hunting hours, i am likely on stand, dedicated to hunting a bruin, but after dark, i might down a couple wobbly-pops or some rye and have a good hearty bull**** with the guys.

Who cares about the picture, to the guys responsible for it (aside from the photgrapher, apparently) it was a great time, and that is really what matters. The rest of you bitching, sit up on your high horse (apparently the smell of your own **** does not get that high) and enjoy the fact that IN YOUR OWN MIND, you are more ethical and moral creatures than this group of hunters.

X2
Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
At least they have good taste in Beer!
That's what I was thinking.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 PM

Its not about being politically correct. It's about having some class and not being a complete and total loser. Get some ethics. Anyone who condones an act like that is a pathetic loser
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tako View Post
Its not about being politically correct. It's about having some class and not being a complete and total loser. Get some ethics. Anyone who condones an act like that is a pathetic loser
X2
Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Zero respect

I'm fairly shocked at the total disrespect shown for the animal harvested.
I'm, all for doing a little celebrating when an animal is harvested but decorating an animal with bear cans is not an act of a sportsman.It offends me that these people call themselves "hunters". Some people just don't get what its all about.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 AM

That is the point they are not hunters.....

Don't judge them by your hunting ethics....

This is no different than the man show where they had the robotic deer strapped to the hood of a car that would talk to people!.....The point is humour not hunting....

There is a video of a roadkilled beaver, propped up with a beer in his paw and a lit cigarette jammed in his mouth..... that was funny too...

There are a lot of self righteous politically correct high horse riders here....

I will refer to you as the ETHICS POLICE!.....
Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 AM

I remember one article of AO where a lady wrote into Rob saying that he disrespected the moose (I belive) by kneeling on it or something. None of us thought that was disrespectful but she did.
We all have different opinions and see things differently. I myself would never do that to a animal but that is me . To each their own.
Beth
Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM

There is a lot of conclusion jumping and assumption making....

How do we know these people were hunting.... there is a dead bear in the picture,... with snow and booze.... that's it.....that's all....

The ETHICS POLICE are like the lawyer that when he went to Scotland he saw one black sheep and went back and said that from what he saw all sheep in Scotland are black!...

Then there is the accountant who on the same trip saw the same black sheep and said that from what he saw in Scotland there is at least one sheep that is black on at least on side.

They were actually looking at a border collie!...

What about that picture suggests hunting? There is a dead bear, snow, and booze.... we judge by what we are familiar with..... is this what you think of as hunting?

So the answer is NO it is not bear hunting it is an attempt at humour and the danger with humour is it is not always appreciatted by some people.

I think it is funny in a wrong kind of way..... but then so am I!....
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post

x2
Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I did not condone the act, nor did I condemn. I guess i really dont care. Would that make me an APATHETIC loser in your books? Not that i really care, just curious.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Get some ethics.
I think you've missed the point of the past 20 posts. We all have ethics. His are just different than yours. We of course all think ours are "right" and should be forced on others (that's what the antis think). If others don't accept them, they are "losers". Legal is legal (the discussion of whether the bear was legal or not), but when it comes to "ethics", that's a personal thing.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 PM

WTF OKO.......

You and I actually agree on something!......

i must be way in the wrong!....
Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Political correctness and ethics arre buzz words that have run amok in recent years.
at one time it was common to see hats on taxidermied mounts, noiw mostt would say that is not "ethical"

Posing critters also is nnot acceptable to some these days.
i could give a rat's patutty about the whole danged meess myself, i know what I do and how I act.
I have been called "unethiccal" by a giuy because I made a 3d shoot
"too dificult" - I llost my mind in him.
These days i stay away from "instant experts" like that, same as people who havee suddenly figuired what they do should be the norm.....
Cat