Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Exclamation De fleshing a skull

Anybody know how to deflesh a skull without boiling it because my whole block is kinda upset

If anybody does please respond asap the smell is just god awful
Old 05-10-2008, 12:21 AM

My taxidermist uses acid, very quick. I went in there a day after I dropped my bear off last year and it was sitting in a solution and looked just about done. As for what kinda acid, no idea, but someone here will likely know. Done the boiling thing myself a couple times, smelly mess!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM

Years back I brought a cleaned skull to work and thew it in the acid tank .
The bone started to fall apart in half hour.
I usally cut away as much as possable then throw it in water in a steal 20 L pail over a gas camping stove .
My two cents for the smell is add some spice.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:07 AM

Why are they upset?? Its not like your guttin on your front lawn! I'd open a beer, and boil away. The smell can churn the vittles, worth it though.

That would be the day I'd care what the whole block thought of me.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Well there's cold water maceration, takes a while. If you want to measure the skull it doesn't shrink it as much as when it's boiled. Some common laundry detergents will help remove the fat and stuff. The really gross part is getting the brains out. I boiled them out in the end but have heard it suggested to blow them out with an air hose. I can't see that going too cleanly and I'll bet you a $100 bucks that no matter what precautions you take some will hit you in the face.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Hydrogen peroxide added to water will speed up the process without boiling. Try to get some industrial strength peroxide from a chemical supply company - it is 13% and very corrosive, so be carefull. The hydrogen peroxide you buy across the counter at drug stores will help a little but it is only about 3% and takes many days to do the job.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your advise im going to use acid because that smell is just wrong im just scared that it will desolve the bone.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:26 PM

leave it out side and the bugs will clean it. Might work?lol
Old 05-10-2008, 04:31 PM

You are right on the bugs cleaning it, I've heard of people burying them in anthills, so I did that with my first Whitetail head last spring. I'd had it in my upright freezer since the previous November. At any rate, I put it in the ground in an anthill when it had warmed up. I covered it with mulch from chipping my prunings. I found odd chew marks resembling miniature Beaver tooth marks in a tree, and found out from my buddies that it was the work of mice. Apparently they like to chew up antlers, I guess thats one way nature recycles them.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:04 PM

Default skull cleaning

Having just got back from alaska after shooting a bear i had the chance to talk to guys up there about the skull.They told me you can send it to a place where they put it in with some kind of bugs and they clean it compleatly in a short period of time.I didnt get names up there but am going to look in alberta to see if anyone does it here.I will let you know if i find someone.They also said boiling will loosen the teeth.Dont know anything it myself but thought i would mention it.............Grampa jim
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 PM

Default Using beetles

I believe there is a fellow around Turner Valley with beetles, might want to look into that. It is my understanding that the time period can vary greatly, can't recall the exact reason, but something to do with the rate of consumption based on whatever variables? Sorry, can't remember the name, but I'm sure they can be found in the phone book somewhere.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:25 PM

Bear Ob,
What kind of acid or how does it work?? Not sayin acid won't work but I would be leary of it and wear goggles forsure. Don't pour acid in first, finish balance ph with base, toxic fumes and a no-no on septic systems. Boiling a skull is safe and has worked well for centuries.
Most corosives I use would ruin the skull before the tissues break down and you'd still have to pick it particles out...In fact I use acid to help the fleshing of the hide as it holds the stratified layers apart and makes them "stronger".
I boiled two bears skull today, keep the water depth over them your neighbors won't smell a thing. It's totally tollerable. Cook the meat 1.5 hrs
pulls of in ckunks. This also would kill disease like rabies. I holesaw a larger brain cavity too Then take a boiling kettle and fill nostrils and the brains flow out the hole. Change water after the first major cleaning. The brain material is high in oil content...[they use to soft tan hides with brains]
Dermestid beetles are used for important heads. They can be purchased but you need lots of them[adult bettles] and they need to be cared for. Temperature and humidity and tight housing...take important heads to a taxidermist $.02 HHchain
Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM

Soak in hydrogen peroxide turns the meat to mush take brain out with a coat hanger twisted into a hook at end and pull it all out If skull is fresh it doesn't smell much if you boil it , if you let it sit outside and flies laid eggs and maggots started then boli it the stewed maggots have a less appealing aroma for sure

Gord
Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 PM

I just finished doing my Mulie skull and all I did was boil it ... or simmer it for a few hours then I pressure washed it and that took pretty well all of it off. I also drilled a hole in the base of the skull on the inside and the brains came right out with the pressure washer..... I hardly had to pick at all just a few little cracks.... my 2 cents.