Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

Default nsr report april 8

one word says it all.SKUNKED. yes it was a beautifull afternoon and the water was a little cloudy (much clearer then by an outfall) but all i got was some exercise and 1 bite. hope ice fishing is better tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bev a8.jpg (25.8 KB, 262 views)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Your not the only one. I was skunked on the river a few days ago as we'll.
Previous attempts came out good. Maybe next time.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Thats it!!! I am going river fishn tomorow no matter what work thinks
I see the Ninja never rests keep them coming and I will do my best to post even if its a skunk i catch

Red Neck Out
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned

thats the spirit redneck! (though i don't advocate getting fired due to fishing). i'm very lucky that i live minutes away from 4 prime fishing locations so i'm able to pop down to the river for a couple hours whenever i feel like it. i choose the location based on which way the winds blowing (i like the wind on my back). good luck. dress warm.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM

Just a heads up if your fishing the Goldbar outfall this time of year (or during rain events) there is quite a bit of runoff during warm weather days which results in the plant having to bypass a good portion of the treatment process (due to size restrictions). There is an outfall at the very west end of the plant (near the boat launch) that will discharge during these high flows virtually raw sewage..... meaning you might not want to be fishing anywhere down stream of this. My personal thought is if the west is flowing stay away.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2017 View Post
Just a heads up if your fishing the Goldbar outfall this time of year (or during rain events) there is quite a bit of runoff during warm weather days which results in the plant having to bypass a good portion of the treatment process (due to size restrictions). There is an outfall at the very west end of the plant (near the boat launch) that will discharge during these high flows virtually raw sewage..... meaning you might not want to be fishing anywhere down stream of this. My personal thought is if the west is flowing stay away.
The spring run-off hardly makes a difference to the wastewater plant. Half of the city discharges directly into the river. The only time you will see a direct discharge into the river from sewage is during a major rainstorm.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 PM

I fished my productive hole the same day. It's cold standing on the river bank, but gradually getting better with the sun rising. Managed to catch 3 walleyes.. it's a great day..
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
The spring run-off hardly makes a difference to the wastewater plant. Half of the city discharges directly into the river. The only time you will see a direct discharge into the river from sewage is during a major rainstorm.
Wrong. Spring run-off and melt water affect the plant greatly, depending on temperture during the day and amount of snow daily flows can double or tripple resulting in bypass conditions... meaning improperly treated sewage to the river. This useally happens around 15-20 times in the spring (again depending on snow amount and temperture) and is discharged usually from the west outfall.
The point of this post was not to dicuss the plant but to inform my fellow anglers that during high flows not all sewage is fully treated and that they could be exposed to it. We all know that the east outfall is an excellent place to fish but some might reconsider if a bypass event is going on.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM

u guys are scaring me lol i wanna go fishing the nsr today, is it ok? lo

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Should be no problem.. Unless we get some rain this afternoon
Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM

its supposed to lightly rain is that ok ? 1-3mm

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post
u guys are scaring me lol i wanna go fishing the nsr today, is it ok? lo
Just don't eat the fish and if you're fishing around Goldbar, plug your nose.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Probably still cleaner than Pigeon... Just sayin
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Spring run-off and melt water affect the plant greatly, depending on temperture during the day and amount of snow daily flows can double or tripple resulting in bypass conditions... meaning improperly treated sewage to the river. This useally happens around 15-20 times in the spring (again depending on snow amount and temperture) and is discharged usually from the west outfall.
The point of this post was not to dicuss the plant but to inform my fellow anglers that during high flows not all sewage is fully treated and that they could be exposed to it. We all know that the east outfall is an excellent place to fish but some might reconsider if a bypass event is going on.
i get hourly flow reports for the last 20yrs and work with the plant so i think i would know better. Maybe i am wrong........lol . Please try and not mis- inform people on here if you dont know your facts.Fish on boys......
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Probably still cleaner than Pigeon... Just sayin
Yuuuup!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
i get hourly flow reports for the last 20yrs and work with the plant so i think i would know better. Maybe i am wrong........lol . Please try and not mis- inform people on here if you dont know your facts.Fish on boys......
So what you're saying is for the last 10 years of my life of working at GOLDBAR I do not have the right information and when I took samples from the west bypass last saturday that I must have been dreaming. I am curious to know where you get your info from. If you would like to dicuss this further pm me. Or give the control room a call I'm on today. I'm not trying to sound like a d*** I'm just not a big fan of people basically calling me a liar when I'm trying to help people out.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Exclamation BY Pass Sewage

Quote:
The point of this post was not to discuss the plant but to inform my fellow anglers that during high flows not all sewage is fully treated and that they could be exposed to it. We all know that the east outfall is an excellent place to fish but some might reconsider if a bypass event is going on.
X2..They do discharge un-treated sewage if there is a lots of rain.
Here is the link for flow rates for the mighty NSR.
http://www.environment.alberta.ca/ap...n=4&DataType=1
Old 04-10-2013, 04:37 PM

I just got in from fishin NSR out of Rocky Mountain house.. Fishing was great got a few whitefish couple browns but only one walleye but still fun day