Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 PM

I think the time has come to lock this thread.
Dick has been more of a "MAN" that many and has openly apologized for any inflamatory opinions he posted, which is more than many would do.
I would like to shake hands and move on.
Cheers to all
Rick

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Default before the Lock

Rick did fast excellent work on my Winchester Coyote Lite in 300 wsm very well done great accuracy sweet trigger nice bedding Tactical Bases Rings and in short order. Rick will have my next, but he will build it from scratch. no questions.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
Dick has been more of a "MAN" that many and has openly apologized for any inflamatory opinions he posted, which is more than many would do.
I would like to shake hands and move on.
Cheers to all
Rick

Thanks Mr. Timmens, and yes please lock this thread it's past due to do so.
Time to move along.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I guess law enforcement (or the Military) doesYou're a sniper that does cement work on the side?n't pay that well then?
Cat
x2
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Extremely Satisfied with ATR

Gentlemen,

Since this thread is not yet locked down, please let me offer my endorsement of Rick and Alberta Tactical.

The man does fine work and has always been exemplary in his behaviour to all.

A Very Satisfied Customer of Rick's
Elk Hunter 55
Old 04-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Default Gunsmiths.

Choosing Gunsmiths...

How does one do this accurately???
How about picking gunsmiths that produce "winning guns". I dont care which field, 1000 yard F class, Benchrest, Silhouette etc?

How about from safety aspect?
Like having the gunsmith lighten the trigger on your Remington 700 6mm. Having the gun go off when closing the bolt on the rifle.. Would this be a gunsmith you would want to know about? The gun being your rifle and having first hand experience of the gunsmith that did the work. Out of curiosity, would you go back to someone that did this? Only to give them a second opportunity at your rifle?

There has been mention of so called gunsmiths on this posting that I wouldnt let clean my gun let alone work on it.. Windbag may be a better fitting description..

Think about what I wrote.. Safety first, winning guns second? Do your research so you dont get a windbag!

Last edited by Mike Rae; 04-24-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rae View Post
Choosing Gunsmiths...

How does one do this accurately???
How about picking gunsmiths that produce "winning guns". I dont care which field, 1000 yard F class, Benchrest, Silhouette etc?

How about from safety aspect?
Like having the gunsmith lighten the trigger on your Remington 700 6mm. Having the gun go off when closing the bolt on the rifle.. Would this be a gunsmith you would want to know about? The gun being your rifle and having first hand experience of the gunsmith that did the work. Out of curiosity, would you go back to someone that did this? Only to give them a second opportunity at your rifle?

There has been mention of so called gunsmiths on this posting that I wouldnt let clean my gun let alone work on it.. Windbag may be a better fitting description..

Think about what I wrote.. Safety first, winning guns second? Do your research so you dont get a windbag!
Mike I would think that like having any work done on anything, you have to ask around of people you know and trust for opinions. That being said every person in every walk of life is still human and can make a mistake, or outright bungle a job. The key is how it is dealt with.

I have had issues where safety concerns have arisen, ie lug nuts on my truck not being tightened, loose propane lines in my RV, and know that I have caused some issues for others, of note comes to mind having a trigger in an M70 go from a safe 3 lbs to an unsafe 1 lb when the rear stock screw was torqued down more than I had it set to after the client took the rifle. It functioned perfectly here, but when he picked it up decided to snug the actions screw a bit more. I am not making excuses for anyone, just pointing out that we are all fallable as we are all human, at least I hope we are.

Anyone can screw up, how it is dealt with helps us decide whether to deal again with that service provider again.
Many times people will not let a business know that there is an issue, preferring to brood and tell their friends about a negative experience.
Unless a business knows of a problem, it is really hard to try and rectify it.
Reputable shops of any type will normally stand behind their work, if not you do not want to deal with them.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Safety for me is paramount, and it is also to the people that build my rifles for me, or do metalwork modifications.
if they don't modify safely, you don't see their rifles in the winner's circle, that is for sure, because I know of no sanctioned competition that will alllow a trigger or any other part of a rifle or shotgun that will operate in an unsafe manner.
Cat
Old 05-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter 55 View Post
...A Very Satisfied Customer of Rick's
Elk Hunter 55
Good for you, Elk Hunter 55!

I'm a on the opposite side of the table - I am An Absolutely Unsatisfied Customer of Rick Timmins: crappy job for top dollars.
Do you read me, Rick? I'll see you soon
------------------------------------------

Now I have to admit, that ATR customer service is on the top: I met Rick today (May 6,2008) and that misunderstanding I mentioned before was cleared up finally.

Last edited by straight; 05-06-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Atrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
Rick, I must respectfully disagree. These forums are about the sharing of opinions and ideas. Threads like these are very educational for the uninitiated, if locked, they disappear.. Also, I think this thread has served to show the stuff a couple of AO members are made of, IE; yourself and Dick284. Good on the both of you.

My 2 cents- Rick has done a couple of projects for me, 'tuned' a factory rifle and a re-barrel/tweaked action on a LH M70. Both turned out well and the 'custom' shoots VERY well. Lord willing, someday I'll have the money for one of those 338LMAI Rick and co. crank out.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:39 AM

Thumbs down

Stay Away From Ray At The Riflemans Shoppe His Work Is Sloppy And Poorly Done
Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 PM

For what it's worth, I've decided to add my thoughts on this matter. My friend, Sajjad, is decidedly interested in long range shooting and thus is interested in eventually owning a fully customized rifle chambered for the 338 Lapua AI. To this end, he has been initiating numerous conversations with Rick Timmons of Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply, conversations which Rick always entertained.

Rick participated in the Tactical Rifle shoot held by the Genesee club this past Saturday. On Sunday, he met with Sajjad to provide Sajjad with the opportunity to shoot some of Rick's rifles. Sajjad was thus able to sample a Remington factory rifle chambered for the 338 Lapua, a 300 magnum of some rendition or other as well as Rick's own 338 LAI rifle. As a businessman myself, I view such actions as excellent customer service. However, the fact that Rick dissuaded Sajjad from the final purchase of the Remington rifle that Sajjad had specially ordered, speaks volumes of Rick's integrity and his genuine concern to both assist his customers in meeting their objectives plus allowing them to benefit from his extensive expertise in long range shooting. This is much, much more than simple excellent customer service, it is pretty much as good as it gets in my books.

BTW, this long range shooting starts at 1000 yds.

Bobby B.