Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2023, 10:49 PM

Default Wainwright 2023

Drew second rifle (dec 7-9), will be my first time out. Anyone else going to be out there?

Question regarding bringing a helper, I’ve read in past threads they usually send out an email around now and you have to have your helper send in info by Nov 15th. Still the case? Anyone receive anything yet? I haven’t, just want to make sure I’m not missing something.

As far as I can tell on here it doesn’t say anything about sending anything in ahead of time.

Cheers!

http://https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/hunting-draws/camp-wainwright-ungulate-hunt.aspx?elqTrackId=83c440bd0837451fb53730a157f73 229&elq=9fb25f4919d54e89bac2d229481ebec4&elqaid=75 8&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=703
Old 11-07-2023, 10:53 PM

I was there last year and yes we had to register our helper. I'm going again this year but didn't see helper registration anywhere

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2023, 10:56 PM

Delete!
Old 11-07-2023, 11:27 PM

We got the email. Will be there for moose the first week.

Important Information Regarding your CFB Wainwright Hunt
Please visit MyWildalberta.ca for all important information regarding your upcoming CFB Wainwright hunt, including pre-registration, access requirements for hunters and individuals accompanying them and more!

Before arrivial:
It is recommended that everyone download and complete the waiver prior to arrival as it can speed up registration time. DO NOT email it in advance. Indigenous and Metis Harvesters are to pre-register prior to 15 November, 2023. Failure to pre-register will result in you being turned away at the Hunter Check Station (HCS).

Upon arrival:
All persons reported in to the Hunter Check Station (HCS) are required to attend a complete safety briefing the first day of their hunt.
6:00 am: Doors open for registration.
7:00 am: The first complete briefing starts. Doors will be closed to the HCS as soon as the first briefing begins,
Additional briefings will be offered at 9:00AM and 1:00PM only.
If you have any questions about the Wainwright hunt, please contact CFB Wainwright at WRTBaseHunt@forces.gc.ca.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:00 AM

I emailed trying to register my son as a partner liscence as he's a youth. I have a email back confirming helper and or partner does not need to be pre registered.
I'd still personally get a email yourself to confirm. Iam printing mine off and bring with me in case of a issue.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
Drew second rifle (dec 7-9), will be my first time out. Anyone else going to be out there?
I'm planning on being there.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I emailed trying to register my son as a partner liscence as he's a youth. I have a email back confirming helper and or partner does not need to be pre registered.
I'd still personally get a email yourself to confirm. Iam printing mine off and bring with me in case of a issue.
Good points. Bringing the old man out. Me thinks he’ll stick to watching from inside truck.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:33 PM

Last year for the Elk hunt I had my helper pre register. Last minute he had to cancel and I found a new partner. It was no big deal at all when we showed up the first morning. My new helper completed the forms and we were checked in easily.

Craig
Old 11-08-2023, 08:13 PM

Ok awesome thanks for the info guys. Weird that I never received an email. Will look into that. If anyone else is planning to be out there for 2nd rifle feel free to pm me and we can exchange numbers in case anyone gets stuck or needs a hand.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:21 AM

Yeah I’m pumped . I’ll be there for the either sex elk Dec 4 - 7th. First time on the base, I got the email regarding the hunt . It said to not email for pre registration of hunter/hunter helper ….only for First Nations I guess .

Cheers .
Old 11-11-2023, 08:50 AM

I'm there for my first time for Deer, dec 7-9. would gladly trade phone numbers with other hunters. I've done suffield elk and have a bit of an idea what to expect.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:32 PM

I will be there on the third rifle with a buddy

I have been on base 5 times n enjoyed every time

Hopefully my shooting improves with my shooting sticks

Spotter n shooter

Good luck too all !!!

2 Old Guys

David
Old 11-15-2023, 10:09 PM

I’m heading up for muzzleloader bull moose. Three days isn’t much time. I was there once before for muzzle deer - it’s a good hunt but I blew a day just driving around to get oriented.

It’s no gimme but there are good animals there.

Good luck everyone!
Old 11-16-2023, 06:37 AM

Default Camp wainwright

I’ll be there with 5 friends on the first rifle deer hunt. This will be my fifth time on the base I believe. Always a good time.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:37 AM

I also have the first rifle deer hunt. Just to confirm I sent a note to the base regarding the hunter helper and they did confirm pre-registration is not required.
And just a heads up for anybody who may not be aware, you can add any individual over the age of 65 to your special draw license as a second gun. With 3 deer tags available, for me, its almost a requirement to find somebody over the age of 65 and take them on the base hunt not only as a helper but it gives them the opportunity to take a deer also. ONly seems like the right thing to do in my opinion as I really don't need 3 deer.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:48 PM

First rifle season for myself and my best friend. It’s going to be a good hunt. We have been before and got a grip on the good areas for mule and same for whitetail. Look forward to meeting some of y’all out there! Good luck and safe hunting
Old 11-19-2023, 02:01 PM

Wondering if you’re allowed to bring more than one guest with you on the hunt?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:32 PM

I'm heading for the primitive season, bull moose. Happy to connect and share intel / sightings with cow moose or elk hunters.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:46 PM

Will also be there for the muzzleloader hunt for deer. Send me your number if you want to share sightings of moose and elk or deer.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:40 AM

Just looking at the road cams and weather forecast up in Wainwright. Been going to the base off and on for the last 23 years and don't ever recall there being no snow. I guess I didn't need to buy those new tires Bob, haha! Good luck to all the primitive weapons hunters Thursday!
Old 11-28-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
Just looking at the road cams and weather forecast up in Wainwright. Been going to the base off and on for the last 23 years and don't ever recall there being no snow. I guess I didn't need to buy those new tires Bob, haha! Good luck to all the primitive weapons hunters Thursday!
I just looked at the long forecast. Coldest they are predicting when I'm scheduled to be there is -8C with daytime highs at 0C. That's unreal.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I just looked at the long forecast. Coldest they are predicting when I'm scheduled to be there is -8C with daytime highs at 0C. That's unreal.
I was there for first rifle last year. We had highs of -38 and lots of snow. It was crazy cold. Almost everyone was hunting out of the mobile blind.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:54 AM

I wonder if these warm temps will mean more training, and less places open to hunt?
Old 11-28-2023, 05:30 PM

Anyone else heading out 7-9 that wants to swap numbers hit me up, especially elk/moose.

Anyone worried about registering their hunter helper its not a thing this year. I emailed Kim Murphy and the reply was “not required this year”
Old 11-28-2023, 05:51 PM

What's the CWD numbers there this year?
Old 11-28-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
What's the CWD numbers there this year?
Pretty low considering no one has hunted it yet
Old 11-28-2023, 06:38 PM

Ya I guess not! But i heard it was very high last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Pretty low considering no one has hunted it yet
Old 11-29-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Ya I guess not! But i heard it was very high last year!
I hunt a zone a little south of there (202) also along the battle river, I’d suggest if you’d shoot a mule buck if it’s mature there a better than 50% chance it has cwd mule does and small bucks will be probably closer to 25%. Whitetail cwd numbers are probably about half that.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I wonder if these warm temps will mean more training, and less places open to hunt?
Training schemes are not driven by the weather, most major exercises are planned 6 months or longer in advance too.
Did you also note that our militaries budgets have been axed big time, and ammunition and other military wares are going out of the country at a feverish rate……………

There are no absolutes
Old 11-30-2023, 03:47 PM

Hey y'all, its going to be my first time at Wainwright this year. Im going as a helper with my dad, however I wont be able to make the first day due to work but can make it out the 2nd day. I been to Suffield a few times and I know its not mandatory to attend the first day hunt in order to hunt the rest of the days since they do briefings every morning. Is that a similiar case in Wainwright aswell? Also I know a hunter can only bring 1 helper, so similiar to the first question, if the first day my dads takes a friend as his helper, am i able to go as a helper the 2nd day? Or its just one registered helper?

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk