Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-26-2023, 08:38 PM

Default When do cattle on crown land need to be off?

Anyone know when cattle have to be off the crown land in the porcupine pluz and if there are any exemptions? Seems to be a lot of overwintering cattle you can see on the west side slopes clearly visible from the 22.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Anyone know when cattle have to be off the crown land in the porcupine pluz and if there are any exemptions? Seems to be a lot of overwintering cattle you can see on the west side slopes clearly visible from the 22.
I believe there are winter grazing allotments along the 22.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:09 AM

Do you know of a way I can check? I can see rather complicated issue I want to avoid if possible.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:25 AM

Here is a link to the land management interactive map for Alberta:
https://geospatial.alberta.ca/portal...2bbb08c56742b9

Also the general website:
https://www.alberta.ca/land-management-contacts

I believe you want to contact the Agrologist for Calgary South. I have contacted them before and you'll probably get the same answer that I did. See below:

1) Grazing lease operators do NOT necessarily have to have cattle off of grazing leases by a certain date. Some lease agreements are 365 days a year. This is contrary to most hunters thinking cattle "must be off by hunting season" which isn't always true.

2) Ranches in this area do have agreements with the province to graze cattle on the Porcupine Hills PLUZ.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncameron View Post
Here is a link to the land management interactive map for Alberta:
https://geospatial.alberta.ca/portal...2bbb08c56742b9

Also the general website:
https://www.alberta.ca/land-management-contacts

I believe you want to contact the Agrologist for Calgary South. I have contacted them before and you'll probably get the same answer that I did. See below:

1) Grazing lease operators do NOT necessarily have to have cattle off of grazing leases by a certain date. Some lease agreements are 365 days a year. This is contrary to most hunters thinking cattle "must be off by hunting season" which isn't always true.

2) Ranches in this area do have agreements with the province to graze cattle on the Porcupine Hills PLUZ.
^In addition to the above, it's not always clearly marked where Crown land and deeded land are separate. You might think the cattle are within Crown land when in fact the Crown land starts the next fence line to the East.

Born and raised down there, lots of friends and family and I still don't know exactly where the boundaries are just by looking (without a map of some kind)

J.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:13 AM

Stop at the ranch and ask or stop at a ranch nearby and ask. Maybe find out how the cattle are doing and if there short on feed which is a really good possibility why there taking advantage of the good weather for grazing hence the drought we had this past year. They will let you know where crown boundary is and where there land starts.

Just what I would have done or have done in the past. They sometimes like a good visit and usually have coffee on.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:03 AM

where crown boundary is and where there land starts.

In that neck of the woods, there are some huge ranches, could be deeded land.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-27-2023, 01:02 PM

There are no set days in which cattle need to be off of crown land.

It is entirely up to the permit holder.

Most do not graze in the winter unless necessary.

Them cows may be from the Waldron co-op.

They always winter graze.

They rarely feed the cows in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
There are no set days in which cattle need to be off of crown land.

It is entirely up to the permit holder.

Most do not graze in the winter unless necessary.

Them cows may be from the Waldron co-op.

They always winter graze.

They rarely feed the cows in the winter.

Not where I hunt in SE AB. Most grazing leases have dates when the cattle can be put on the lease, and when they need to be taken off. The leaseholder can apply to have the time extended, but it’s up to the provincial agrologist and land manager if they allow an extension.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Not where I hunt in SE AB. Most grazing leases have dates when the cattle can be put on the lease, and when they need to be taken off. The leaseholder can apply to have the time extended, but it’s up to the provincial agrologist and land manager if they allow an extension.

Well we are not talking about se Alberta

In the west most crown land is managed by AUM

So you can graze so many days per type of animal

But the time of year is not regulated

So some permit holders do graze thought out the winter

Winter grazing along the happy valley has been done for over a century

Old 12-29-2023, 07:42 AM

I’ll call the Agrologist and see what’s going on, this isn’t lease land or deeded land very clearly on the pluz. Theirs cattle on the summit of the ridge and cattle on the west slope up to the private property and lease lands. I think there are signs that say cattle have to be off the land and cattle sightings after oct 4 (not sure on the date) should be reported.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I’ll call the Agrologist and see what’s going on, this isn’t lease land or deeded land very clearly on the pluz. Theirs cattle on the summit of the ridge and cattle on the west slope up to the private property and lease lands. I think there are signs that say cattle have to be off the land and cattle sightings after oct 4 (not sure on the date) should be reported.
You think? Is there or isn’t there? Do you have a legitimate concern? Or just stirring up *+*^
Old 12-30-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
You think? Is there or isn’t there? Do you have a legitimate concern? Or just stirring up *+*^
Just interested in the process.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
How many cattle in the bunch? I've gathered a stray off Dutch Creek in Feb, the grader operator spotted her. He dropped off a small hay bale for us & we roped her & loaded her in a trailer a week later.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-30-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Probably something that could have been done prior to asking on here right?
Old 12-31-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Where I hunt it’s Oct 31st cattle are outa lease. I’m sure they aren’t deliberately doing something wrong or without permission. It was a drought year and there doing what they can to sustain there business. Like I said earlier the easiest way is to ask the Ranch. They know the rules/Reg’s and know where the boundary’s are cause they work the land there whole lives and know how to mind there own business. Simple
Old 12-31-2023, 07:45 AM

Default Learn before speaking

A (animal) U (unit) M (months). Let’s say you have a section of lease land rated for 400 AUMs (area specific number the agents of the crown determine) you can put 80 cows on it for 5 months, OR you can stock pile graze 400 cows for a month if you so chose. Probably the case here. There’s been winter grazing of lease land since the cows arrived centuries ago.