Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-31-2023, 08:38 AM

Default Shotgun coyotes

With east winds hard to come by in these parts I was amazed to see that on one of my days off we had a south east wind!
first stand looked amazing and after a long walk to the edge of a massive dry lake bed with cattle behind me and rolling native grass hills in front I called my heart out with not even a chirp from a magpie.
Disheartened from the lack of movement I rushed to the next stand as I had realized that once again I had neglected to factor in the rising sun which would be glaring right in my eyes.
this stand was a bit of a wildcard as the lay of the land never let one see it from the road in any direction. All that was visible was that it was a steep Coulee with crop land on all sides. Crunching my way through the canola field I spied a few coyote tracks one of which was noticeably larger than most coyote tracks.
finally seeing into the Coulee my options showed to be limited if I didn't want to be staring right into the sun the whole stand. Rather than going to the bottom to gain full visibility I skirted behind a large hill which would shade me from the sun.
PXL_20231230_155351332.MP by brad harder, on Flickr
Like so many of my stands there was not much to hide in where I wanted so I layed back on my elbows in a small patch of scrub brush and began calling.
I had only made my first Wah Wah wahhhhh on the jack distress open reed when It became apparent that I had not positioned my shotgun correctly. Putting the call down I reached for the shotgun and just as I pulled it to me a flash of movement came from behind the rising sun.
freezing in a rather uncomfortable twisted position I watched as a huge coyote came hobbling over the hill.
With barely any hesitation the grizzled old male slowly came over and down the hill with his injured right paw in the air. Finally seeing something was amiss he began to skirt around me and as soon as he turned his head to see where he was going I snapped up from my cramped position and pulled the trigger on the browning shotgun.
At this moment 2 things happened. The coyote dropped like being hit by a heavenly brick and my whole right side erupted in a sharp pain! I had forgotten in the excitement that today I was shooting 1-5/8 oz 3.5 inch hevi shot B which kicks pretty hard at the best of times and in a unconventional awkward position it straight up beat the crap out of me!
1000004216 by brad harder, on Flickr
After getting up to him I knew right away he was the source of the big tracks I saw earlier he was tooth worn and big with long claws on his injured paw from who knows how long of a time without its use.
PXL_20231230_161008137.MP by brad harder, on Flickr

After this I jogged over to a well known area of mine to find that a lot of my usual spots to sit required the cover of snow. After my first dry stand I decided to take advantage of the bare ground and got in 500 yards closer to the bush coyotes usually come from.
sticking to my theme of making bad cover work I layed down on my back using a clump of dried grass and fence line to break up my outline and began to call.
1000004193 by brad harder, on Flickr
soon as I put the call down I spotted a coyote directly to my right coming fast down a game trail which turned out to line up directly with where I now lay.
with the fence to my right and too far to swing over as a right handed shooter I had no way to kill this coyote without giving my position away.
30 yards away she realized the person shape laying on the trail and ran behind me to get my wind. Waiting a fraction longer to let her get behind me I whirled to my left making an almost full 360 and got up on one knee. Sure enough by the time the gun was leveled she was putting on the afterburners but not fast enough. A swarm of hevi shot caught her and she fell to the dirt as another shot caught her again for good measure. Later ranged at 43 yards.
1000004201 by brad harder, on Flickr

This was first shared on the predator masters forums and has more photos there for those interested.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-31-2023, 09:02 AM

Keep up the good work. I see that you are shooting a Maxus, I have one myself, and they are very soft shooting, lucky you weren't shooting a pump action, if the Maxus was painful. I am waiting for a hunting partner to return from vacation, then we will get out after coyotes.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Keep up the good work. I see that you are shooting a Maxus, I have one myself, and they are very soft shooting, lucky you weren't shooting a pump action, if the Maxus was painful. I am waiting for a hunting partner to return from vacation, then we will get out after coyotes.
Oh I would have been a painful puddle if I had been using the old sxp or 870. I dont recall exactly but by the pain in that one shot versus the rest I suspect I had the gun slightly off my shoulder. The Maxus is great for these hard kicking shells. It's great.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:13 AM

Shotguns are good for killing them. As far as fur the fur buyers wanting them not so much
Old 12-31-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Shotguns are good for killing them. As far as fur the fur buyers wanting them not so much

With coyotes not worth anything it doesn't matter too much anyways. When they were worth money I had 2 buyers that were very anti shotgun and 2 who didn't care very much. The odd coyote got docked a few bucks but they said at auction they weren't noticing much difference.

Last edited by tikka250; 12-31-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:00 PM

Nice work man! Excellent write up and photos as per. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:51 PM

Keep the coyote stories coming. Awsum job.
Old 12-31-2023, 07:38 PM

Default Shotgun coyotes

They’re coming to the call good in my area too. Called three stands the other morning, and called in a total of ten coyotes. Killed five of them. They all seemed to be coming in pairs. Maybe they are starting to think about the season of love? I could have certainly taken one if I’d have had my shotgun with me. Keep up the good work. Heading up to Conklin next week to try calling wolves. At least we will put a lot of miles on the quads, and maybe get lucky.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:59 AM

Beauty, even though the hide is worthless still a lot of us out pounding yotes, sure helps the fawn population in the spring, and it's fun

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
They’re coming to the call good in my area too. Called three stands the other morning, and called in a total of ten coyotes. Killed five of them. They all seemed to be coming in pairs. Maybe they are starting to think about the season of love? I could have certainly taken one if I’d have had my shotgun with me. Keep up the good work. Heading up to Conklin next week to try calling wolves. At least we will put a lot of miles on the quads, and maybe get lucky.
I was worried they wouldn't want to come in with the warm weather but they seem to be coming harder and faster than ever this year!