Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-23-2008, 01:20 AM
gitrdun

Quote:
Well gitrdun, You seem to like grouping all us hunters as city folk thinking we don't know how to close gates etc etc by the actions of a few.
Just like I said, you all claim to be the good guys....it's not me, it's the other guy, nevertheless gates are left open. So, when you walk up to you pastures and see cattle spread across hell's half acre...who's going to help round'em up. Not you are ya? Sure would make a difference if you were there to fix up your own screw ups. And to the fellar that said we had too many cows and that we ought to sell them....you truly need to move out of Alberta.

Last edited by Rob Miskosky; 03-25-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:27 AM
340wtby

gitrdun, how much land does someone have to lease for it to caost them a million dollars? My guess is quite a bit. Probably so much that it would cost them at least 10 times that much to buy it. I realize people leave gates open, not everyone, but some people. The fact of the matter is, is that everyone needs to play by the rules and comprimise. If you lease land the comprimise is giving access to rec users, their comprimise is being respectful to land. Foot access is not that big a deal and most people don't mind walking.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:35 AM
gitrdun

I agree with you 340WTB, but may I suggest that some you you folks check into what people have to purchase the grazing rights for. I think that you are confusing the yearly lease payments with the lease purchase? Check lease purchase on the eastern slopes south of Calgary, not those east of Brooks....huge difference. Oh...BTW, you are right on the money, the deeded purchase of that property would be 10 times more than lease.

Arrrgh, one more edit: yes I did say that my friend does give access to people. I also mentioned that some are extremelly disrespectfull, although ALL claim not to be. So how is one to differentiate between those that are and those that aren't when you trying to make a living. Can you possibly watch what's going on the lease at all times. NO....there are other chores to do.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:53 AM
340wtby

I have no idea what a lease costs. I have never looked into it but I don't think that the cost of the lease should depend on wether you can allow access or not. I know the lease you work for allows access but not ALL do. I don't agree with people being disrespectful towards the lease holders rules. Unfortuneatley for lease holders that is the risk they run, you have to allow resonable access. The only thing you can do is report the people who leave gates open or drive all over the place. When people access the land they must ask, or let you know, first. My suggestion would be to take down liscence plate numbers and report when you see bad stuff happening.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:07 AM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340wtby View Post
I have no idea what a lease costs. I have never looked into it but I don't think that the cost of the lease should depend on wether you can allow access or not. I know the lease you work for allows access but not ALL do. I don't agree with people being disrespectful towards the lease holders rules. Unfortuneatley for lease holders that is the risk they run, you have to allow resonable access. The only thing you can do is report the people who leave gates open or drive all over the place. When people access the land they must ask, or let you know, first. My suggestion would be to take down liscence plate numbers and report when you see bad stuff happening.
Well, at least I'll give you that. Problem is no one else has and idea of the costs either. Bottom line is that I can't speak for all other lease holders, but I do know that my friend "does" give access. As long as they follow the guidelines as stated in the hunting regulations and those stated when you call into the web-site given under those same regulation. So what are we bitching about anyways? Take license plate numbers??? WTF 340, do you think these people have nothing better to do than watch 24-7 for bad-ass hunters, separating good from bad? Look, there are regulations and rules to be followed, follow them or stay home. Who d'you think has the mightier voice? Alberta Cattlemen's Association or the Calgary Fish & Game Club.....bahahaha
Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Just like I said, you all claim to be the good guys....it's not me, it's the other guy, nevertheless gates are left open. So, when you walk up to you pastures and see cattle spread across hell's half acre...who's going to help round'em up. Not you are ya? Sure would make a difference if you were there to fix up your own FUKK ups. And to the fellar that said we had too many cows and that we ought to sell them....you truly need to move out of Alberta.
And you truely need to go (beep beep ) yourself and leave us alone here , l see you just joined up , why , so you can come here and mouth off.
Take your damn cattle off public land , then you and us wont have the problem.

Last edited by BUD; 03-23-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 AM
SNIPER

Gitrdun,

I don't know the rules of access to lease land. Can you tell me the rules, so when hunting season rolls around, I won't be breaking them.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
Gitrdun,

I don't know the rules of access to lease land. Can you tell me the rules, so when hunting season rolls around, I won't be breaking them.
I believe you have to ask permission. As well if there are livestock on the land he can turn you down. If no livestock I think they must let you but they can say no vehicles just on foot. Some may leave live stock on just to turn you down, My thoughts of it anyways

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you 340WTB, but may I suggest that some you you folks check into what people have to purchase the grazing rights for. I think that you are confusing the yearly lease payments with the lease purchase? Check lease purchase on the eastern slopes south of Calgary, not those east of Brooks....huge difference. Oh...BTW, you are right on the money, the deeded purchase of that property would be 10 times more than lease.

Arrrgh, one more edit: yes I did say that my friend does give access to people. I also mentioned that some are extremelly disrespectfull, although ALL claim not to be. So how is one to differentiate between those that are and those that aren't when you trying to make a living. Can you possibly watch what's going on the lease at all times. NO....there are other chores to do.
Now as far as I understand, the lease purchase as very little to do with the Alberta Gov.. Can you confirm this?

Can someone please post what the Alberta Gov gets from a lease on a yearly basis?

Gitrdun. I love my relationship with the landowners. They know who I am, and I know who they are. No matter how much a land owner purchased tthe option to lease land at the end of the day they are just renters. The rules are we dont need permision, we just need to let them know we are comming.
And get off your high horse about "City Folk" a bunch of the damage is being done by your neighboors as well. Once you understand you are just borrowing the land from me, we will get along much better. Its not yours.. Its everyones.
Oh and how did the cattlemens association do on O/S.. Looks like they lost that one.. AND you had a ringer in your corner
Go ahead.. try and deny me.. Trust me we will be meeting with a dispute officer in the near future. Only thing is.. I havent been denied (without a damn good reson) and usually end up with permision to hunt private land.
Sometimes its a good system and has allowed me to start a few new friendships.

Jamie
Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 AM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
Gitrdun,

Sniper, the link below will help you get in touch with the right persons for access. It also outlines access conditions.

http://srd.alberta.ca/lands/usingpub...land/maps.aspx

I never stated that access should not be granted. I'm simply stating that it has to be done in accordance with the guidelines that have been set out. My reference to "city folks" was only a rebutal to the "nimrod" statement, so take it easy. And, I personally don't lease any land, nor do I have any cattle. Just like everybody else, I ask permission and go through the proper channels. I have been denied, only because the maximum number of hunters allowed on a daily basis had already been signed up. If the original poster isn't given just cause as to why he was denied, then I hope that he wins his case also.

Happy Easter.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 AM
SNIPER

Quote:
Just like everybody else, I ask permission and go through the proper channels. I have been denied, only because the maximum number of hunters allowed on a daily basis had already been signed up. If the original poster isn't given just cause as to why he was denied, then I hope that he wins his case also.

Happy Easter.
Who sets the "maximum number of hunters allowed"?

After skimming through the "rules" there is very little reason to disallow anyone from accessing lease land.
The only reasons I can see is, unharvested crops, livestock at large (meaning "normal" usage, not a few head), Fire ban by order. Other then these situations access should not be denied.

Some rules should be changed, such as, bicycle usage, horse riding and the above mentioned "unharvested crops". What damage is a person on foot going to do to crops?

As for people that leave gates open. What are they opening them for if they have foot access only. The "leave gates as you found them" only works 50% of the time.

If your job as a lease rider entails removing people and there vehicles from the lease land, shouldn't you be able to take license #'s and report/charge them for trespassing?

One last thing. It doesn't matter if the lease is $1/acre or $1,000,000/ acre, the rules are the same.

Maybe the outdoorspeople of Alberta should get together and fight to change the rules of access. It seemed to work on Open Spaces.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Another "poor" farmer. I wish I had the problem of having to fork out a million bucks to something I don't even own. I'm just happy my 46% income tax is making sure the family farm stays afloat.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamer View Post
its been about 30 days
any word on the desicion???
No I emailed SRD last Thursday should get a ruling this week.

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-25-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
gitrdun

And Five0, if you were denied access without good legitimate reasons, then I wish you the best in winning the battle. I am with in as far as good hunters who respect the land are concerned.

Bud, you seem to have labelled me as a newbie and think that I should "go away" by the mere fact that I've only posted much less than you have. As far as I'm concerned, I've undoubtely spent less time on the intraweb than you have, I was too busy afield. Yes,....you are an intraweb God.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
And Five0, if you were denied access without good legitimate reasons, then I wish you the best in winning the battle. I am with in as far as good hunters who respect the land are concerned.

Bud, you seem to have labelled me as a newbie and think that I should "go away" by the mere fact that I've only posted much less than you have. As far as I'm concerned, I've undoubtely spent less time on the intraweb than you have, I was too busy afield. Yes,....you are an intraweb God.
Busy afield aye , chasing city folk l presume , lets give it a rest.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM

This a big topic on another forum http://ranchers.net/forum/about24653.html
Everyone has their opinion on who is right and who is wrong.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Default US

Interesting read, but that's a U.S. site, different world entirely.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:38 PM

this is what i do when i go south for upland. i ask permission and i leave a bottle of wine at his door step. every year i go there i do the same thing and never get refused. to many times i see people driving on farmers land with little regard that he can use that remaining stubble to feed the cattle. it all comes down to people respecting everyone.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 AM

Got a decision in the mail yesterday and looks like the lease holder must allow reasonable access to myself for 5 consecutive days during hunting season. There are certain conditions as far as staying off land with cattle, Elk etc and adjacent quarters. Looks like if you follow the framework put out by the government it will work in everyones favour just to bad it had to go so far.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:56 AM

How many consecutive days is the leaseholder allowed access?

This decision is still baloney.... so you can access for 5 consecutive days... still not reasonable access in my mind....

The hunting season is how long?

Welcome to RAMP in open spaces.... but without the payment!...
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Uhhh yeah...did you request 5 days or is that coming out of the blue?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Got a decision in the mail yesterday and looks like the lease holder must allow reasonable access to myself for 5 consecutive days during hunting season. There are certain conditions as far as staying off land with cattle, Elk etc and adjacent quarters. Looks like if you follow the framework put out by the government it will work in everyones favour just to bad it had to go so far.
As long as he has cattle on it you cant access I guess. Thats all he has to do and you dont get the 5 days anyways is the way I see it.

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 AM

I told SRD I would be fine with 5 days as I take a week off every year to hunt the area.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
SNIPER

What if the lease land is in a zone that has a cow elk season that run until christmas? You have a bull elk tag, which runs until Nov 31/08. Is 5 consecutive days that run from Dec 1/08 to Dec. 5/08 reasonable access during "hunting season"?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Good show Five-O,

That was a lot of hassle that you went through that will benefit all of us that use the lease access system.

My hat's off to you for following it through.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I told SRD I would be fine with 5 days as I take a week off every year to hunt the area.
So in the end you got the reasonable request you wanted....

How much time energy and cost did you have to put in to get something you should have already had.!

Thanks and Kudos!.....
Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Good on you for following through till the end.

But you mention that " the lease holder must allow reasonable access to myself for 5 consecutive days during hunting season" What if someone else showed up to ask permission? Would they go through the same hoops you had too? So if you hunt this week for your 5 days, can you back later in the seaon for another 5 days? Who decides which 5 days? You or the rancher?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 AM

I strongly beleive the government realy screwd up wth lease land deal
what was wrong wth to begin with
we pay taxes on that land the same as as the people who lease the land
and just because they are leaseing the land for their pecious cattle then once the cows are outa there whats the problem?????
and in actuality i believe that if there is a water way EG creek /river stream it should be fenced off from cattle destroying and poluting the banks and water streams, and lake shores wether they bear fish or not
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 AM
SNIPER

I posted at the same time as Five0. If he requested 5 days, that is reasonable access.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM

My hat's off to you for following it through.
hrlakay