Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

Default Bowhunting in a crowd

Just wanted to see peoples reaction to this. Agree or Disagree?

I hunt the 212 bow zone daily. I am blessed to have permission on several different places. Some have other hunters and some don't. So, my question to you all is this. When you pull up to a spot on a 1/4 or larger section of land and there is already a truck or two what do you do?

I ALWAYS leave and go else where to hunt or go home if there is already a truck at the spot. However, nobody else on a few property ever shows me the same consideration. I keep going in and within an hour there is some body else in the same spot walking past me. It drives me crazy! I dread the though of walking in while someone is already set up. This just screws the hunt up for both guys. Another thing that happens is that a few of the guys are so scared of Cougars and Bears that they go into the bush when the suns up and come out before dark. This screws everyone. I get along great with all these guys and don't want to get in a ****ing match but they are screwing the place up. Saturdays are of course a total sh!t show. 4 trucks and all of them sit at the top of the hill 100 yards from each other. They fight every year and complain about each other. So why crowd the area? If someones there go else where.

I understand i have the luxury for going else where but so do lots of these guys. They just figure because they have stands on the hill they get first and final crack at the spot. I've tryed to sit in different areas because the Elk and deer know they are all jam packed into one area and change there paterns. This works for a week or so then the hunters move to where the animals have moved. I don't bother hunting with a stand on this piece anymore.

I know everyones gonna say "quit hunting there" or " quit whineing" but this area used to be amazing. I would tag 2 elk a year plus several deer and the odd moose. In the past few years its gone way down hill. The animals are still there but stay on the opposite property. It would just be nice if everyone would respect each other a bit and give some room.

The way i see it. If somebody is already there GO HOME!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM

I'm pretty sure I know the area that you're talking about and it is a **** show. I stopped hunting there quite a few years back
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermulie View Post
I'm pretty sure I know the area that you're talking about and it is a **** show. I stopped hunting there quite a few years back
I basically have as well. Unless nobodys there...witch is rare.

I usually stay on the propety next to it.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 AM

I'm guessing by next to it you mean the property to the west that it borders
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Couple things to try:

Talk to them.

Come up with a schedule.

Notes on vehicle about your location so they can avoid it.

Use the other hunters to your advantage and adjust your tatics accordingly.

That's all I got.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 AM

I make every effort to hunt areas that are not accessible by truck to eliminate most of the other hunters. Like the other fellas I have stopped hunting in 212 because of the crowds and inconsideration.

To answer your question: If I pulled up to my most favorite spot (I hunt public land) and found that someone had beaten me to it then I would leave that person the spot and move onto my next favorite spot.

Richard
Old 09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm guessing by next to it you mean the property to the west that it borders
Sounds like you know the area....

When did you hunt there?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:19 PM

Oh I know that area very well. I've hunted it for a while now, just choose not to go there cause of all the people
Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Banned

Ive been out there for 14 seasons and its worse then ever...i'll stick to the neighboring areas on weekends but at times its still good. If some of the other guys would just have some common sense it would work.

Its when you pull in and there is nobody there so i walk in and 20 mins later some ******* is walking up and down the cutlines bugleing every 2 mins...makes you want to jump out of the bush and shake him senseless!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:42 PM

get a map of rockyview, drive around til you find a nice chunk out of the way, find out who owns it, get permission, and hopefully you luck out that you are the only one with permission.
im blessed with 2 and 1/4 sections of land with sole permission, if i see anyone there, i get the leisure of giving them a boot up the ass because i earned my right and got exclusive permission to hunt that spot. hardly have to worry about a spoiled hunt unless i catch someone trespassing
Old 09-24-2009, 02:50 PM

ya that's what I did too. The 90% of the land that I hunt I have sole permission on. I'm greedy lol I do let my friends come with me now and again
Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned

Like i said, thats how i have it on 90% of the land as well.

Sometimes its nice to go elsewhere and leave your private areas rest.

I still go (when i can) because i have killed some huge deer and elk there. I've taken a 187 T whitetail, a 198 NT mulie and close to a half dozen 5 point and bigger elk over the years plus 3 moose. The area is amazing but the clowns screw it up. I don't want to completely leave the area because of there poor ethics...sad thing is the guys who hunt this place think they know what they are doing....

If someones already there, would you still walk in?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:08 PM

If I didnt know the guy or where he was set up I would leave and go to another area. Most times i make a point of meeting everyone in the areas I hunt so we can strategize together to make all of our hunts more succesful.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM

I just don't hunt it any more. And in all honesty there really isn't anything there any more. There used to be good animals but that sure isn't the case any more.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 PM

While it sucks that someone else got to the spot before you, a guy has to back out when another hunter is there. Obviously some people don't agree with this, I've been stung many times myself on public land. I'm walking down a cutline and some truck comes bouncing past me!! Should have shot him I guess (kidding). You do the right thing by moving on, and as some others have suggested, if you know them, try to work out a schedule.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
Most times i make a point of meeting everyone in the areas I hunt so we can strategize together to make all of our hunts more succesful.
x2. Very good plan because then you don't **** each other off and go home empty handed and upset.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 PM

I would just hunt another place.because it drives me nuts when others scare away game. and i don't. have the time to waste.I can screw up a hunt myself, and don't need any more excuses. lol.
I think i use to hunt that spot back in 1989-92. and gave it up.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 AM

I don't have a problem with other guys in a certain spot when I want in there, I have more than enough to hunt. It's the ones that don't have a clue what the hell they're doing and just go strupsing around any old place going where they shouldn't be in, spooking and pushing game.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just don't hunt it any more. And in all honesty there really isn't anything there any more. There used to be good animals but that sure isn't the case any more.
So 4 days have passed and all the other guys have left the area....we went in last night and i called in 3 bulls. One 3 point, a 4 point and a great 6x6 that my partner put an arrow through.

Still lots of animals up there!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM

guess i know where i'll be hunting tonight......actually probably not, the other 300 were just over the ridge, maybe I'll go there................
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
guess i know where i'll be hunting tonight......actually probably not, the other 300 were just over the ridge, maybe I'll go there................
Think thats were im going too....that or on the top (north) of the hill. Thats where they came from.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM

i'm thinking they'll be coming from the north, but over the ridge to the east in the valley
Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

Thats good too...Still like it up top. Nobody there.
To the east there is several guys always in there.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:28 PM

or just head straight north to where they bed lol
Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
or just head straight north to where they bed lol
It great up there as long as you don't go to far in. There are bails up there to hide behind and like you said "they bed up there". Last hour of light they come out to feed. Unless the damn cutline hunters are in there.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM

no no no, i ment on the north side of the cutline hahaha bet its good hunting in there
Old 09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
no no no, i ment on the north side of the cutline hahaha bet its good hunting in there
I no...