Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Tried supposedly good Scotch a couple times and just can’t find the allure. Always seem to find it extremely strong and not an enjoyable drink at all.
Am I missing something or an acquired taste??
Old 09-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Tried supposedly good Scotch a couple times and just can’t find the allure. Always seem to find it extremely strong and not an enjoyable drink at all.
Am I missing something or an acquired taste??
It's been my experience, that if you do not enjoy having a drink straight, that you may never enjoy scotch, because it is strong, specially if it's cask strength, were on the other hand, there are others out there who prefer having a drink straight, in which case they probably will enjoy a good scotch!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 PM

Just picked up the dalwhinnie 15 yr single malt. Si far its great and i would suggest it to anyone who isnt the bugges fan of too much smoke.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Just picked up the dalwhinnie 15 yr single malt. Si far its great and i would suggest it to anyone who isnt the bugges fan of too much smoke.
Dalwhinnie is one of my goto staples. You may also enjoy the Oban 14.

I just cracked the seal on this tasty morsel last night. Don't find it very complex, but a very easy sipping whiskey. I'm not a huge smoke fan, but find the peat in this one just about right for me.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:10 PM

BTW, if anyone is in the market, Solo Liquor's sale starting tomorrow has the 15yr Glenlivet French Oak and the 12yr Balvenie Doublewood at good prices.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:39 PM

You know Racks, my son got me a bottle of that Two Brewers for Christmas this past year, and I have to honestly say that I wasn't really that fond of it. Still have some left (my son drank most of it, maybe that was his plan?)...so I may give it another try here just to see if my opinion has changed. I know that the first thought I have about it is that it is too floral for me, if memory serves. Will man up and try again, and see if it is better than I initially thought....*Edit* just looked at my bottle, it is not the peated whisky.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Balvenie at Solo too, I'm due to put one of those back in the cabinet. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
You know Racks, my son got me a bottle of that Two Brewers for Christmas this past year, and I have to honestly say that I wasn't really that fond of it. Still have some left (my son drank most of it, maybe that was his plan?)...so I may give it another try here just to see if my opinion has changed. I know that the first thought I have about it is that it is too floral for me, if memory serves. Will man up and try again, and see if it is better than I initially thought....*Edit* just looked at my bottle, it is not the peated whisky.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Balvenie at Solo too, I'm due to put one of those back in the cabinet. TC
Yeah, it's not my first choice. I agree with your assessment. I didn't find even the peated release to have much depth to it. Goes down smooth though, if I had to put a label on it, and once I quit trying to accept it as a scotch I found it much better actually. The peat is a nice touch.

How do you like the 12yr Doublewood? I had a bottle of it on the shelf earlier in the year, I don't anymore, guess it passed the taste test, lol. Had the 14yr Caribbean Cask too. Liked that one, just a little sweet. As long as you're a fan of the sweeter finishings, it's a nice pour. Similar, to my untrained palate, to the 18yr Glenmorangie. Not as good, but that rum cask finishing gives it the same almost dessert-like category to me.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:26 PM

The Balvenie is one I have always enjoyed, and the 12 is one I know I can serve to most anyone and they will enjoy. The 17 and 21 are fantastic but a little pricey to be sure. I don't mind the Rum casking on the 14 but find it a little too sweet for me as well, kind of molasses forward which you'd expect. Great fruit notes though.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Interesting, I got an overpowering floral from Glen Breton as we'll (distilled in cape Breton). Almost artificially floral. I have never experienced that in scotch before. That bottle will last a lifetime lol
Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 PM

I hate when the nose on my whisky is like a grandmother's perfume...floral doesn't belong in whisky!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberboots View Post
Interesting, I got an overpowering floral from Glen Breton as we'll (distilled in cape Breton). Almost artificially floral. I have never experienced that in scotch before. That bottle will last a lifetime lol
I did a tour of Glen Breton distillery a few years ago. The free sample of the cheap stuff was actually quite good so I decided to buy a bottle of the real good stuff, the 15 yr Battle of the Glen. I should have sampled it in the pub before forking out that much. I saved it for a hunting trip and when me and a buddy tried it the overwhelming taste of dish soap came through. I thought it might be the camping dishes, so I rinsed them out really well and we tried it again. Still tasted like dish soap. I've tried it numerous times over the years but it always tastes the same. Another bottle that will last a life time.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1602 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
A guest I guided bought me a case of that stuff for my birthday ,I drank one bottle and it cured me for life,rather drink Listerine and that's not happening either.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
A guest I guided bought me a case of that stuff for my birthday ,I drank one bottle and it cured me for life,rather drink Listerine and that's not happening either.
That was a dirty trick on you for sure. Chivas isn't even Whisky as far I'm concerned, doesn't matter how nice the crystal you serve it in. Too bad you got ruined on it. There are a lot of really fine single malts out there that you are missing out on.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Drinking a bottle of Kilchoman now and it's pretty good
Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Well, went to another lovely tasting at Vintage last night with a friend. Don't have time to do a thorough review, but had some great whisky on the menu. Got to try the new Black Arts, was extremely good but the price point was too prohibitive for me ($340)...the new Highland Park Valkyrie was fantastic, about double the peat that they normally use. Absolutely loved it. My favorite of the night though was the Arran Smuggler's Volume 3, Exciseman. Just fantastic, beautiful whisky, the only sad part was I was only able to get one bottle. There were 8 to sell, and one was 'extra', but I lost a tense round of paper rock scissors and had to watch two bottles walk out with another gent. *Sigh*. I'm going to try and track one down to put away, as the one I have is going to get opened. So good....

https://www.arranwhisky.com/about/ne...-the-exciseman

Old 10-14-2017, 04:23 PM

I have a bottle of the Highland Park Valkyrie - agree, very nice!
Old 10-14-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Dalwhinnie is one of my goto staples. You may also enjoy the Oban 14.

I just cracked the seal on this tasty morsel last night. Don't find it very complex, but a very easy sipping whiskey. I'm not a huge smoke fan, but find the peat in this one just about right for me.
Maybe ill get the oban when im feeling rich again haha
Old 10-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Banned

I've tried a few tastes from different bottles of scotch over the last few months, just can't wrap my palette around it. Taste really is subjective.

Love a good regular old whiskey or a good bourbon, needs to be drinkable neat.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM

It won't be long until Eau Claire Distillery issues their single malt whisky. I've been anxiously awaiting this one.

Anyone try anything new to them this year? My only good find this year (been around awhile mind you) is Nikka From The Barrel - a great stand alone Japanese whiskey. Definitely recommend.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:12 PM

The Costco 12 yr is actually really good for the price. Monkey shoulder was good
Old 10-28-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfitt09 View Post
The Costco 12 yr is actually really good for the price. Monkey shoulder was good
I'm pretty sure the Costco is bottled for them by the Macallan Distillery. As you say, a decent dram for the price.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:50 PM

^^ Costco too funny. I was in there the other day and saw that they had a Kirkland single malt. It had a few words on the label that I like: Highland, 16 year, aged in bourbon casks. So I grabbed one to try, and to be honest it’s not bad at all. I was a little worried, but any Kirkland wine I’ve tried in the past has been good too so why not give it a try.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:06 AM
AO Sponsor

Are most scotch guys here collectors of a variety of different scotches or of the 'find what I like and drink only that' type? Me, I like a lot of variety. I find different scotch nose and palette profiles suitable for different moods of the day...

If you have a bit of a collection, post a pic!

Here is mine currently. Top two shelves are in regular scotch rotation while the rest are a mix of different varieties of other stuff.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:09 AM

I'm with you Tirebob. I've got my favorite go to malts, but I have quite a variety on hand all the time, everything from the Glendronach Sherry Bombs (21 year old Parliament) to the Octomore series smoke bombs. I haven't had them all together for a family picture for the most part, just lots of individual bottles....anyway. I'm stopping by to visit and discuss this with you!

Old 10-29-2017, 11:11 AM

^^ I have around 25 different single malts currently. Can’t post a pic though, they’re mostly stored in Rubbermaid bins. Lol. Nice pic!
Old 10-29-2017, 11:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I'm with you Tirebob. I've got my favorite go to malts, but I have quite a variety on hand all the time, everything from the Glendronach Sherry Bombs (21 year old Parliament) to the Octomore series smoke bombs. I haven't had them all together for a family picture for the most part, just lots of individual bottles....anyway. I'm stopping by to visit and discuss this with you!
I am always down for an excuse to have a tasting session!!

I find lately with the cooler weather and having a fire in the stove every evening I am gravitating to more smoke. I just recently picked up a nice little sub-$80 bottle of Ancnoc Cutter I am quite pleased with. It isn't as smoke bomb as I was anticipating, but it is definitely present with a noticeable leather in behind and a delicious sweeter finish compared to many smokier varieties while not being overly sweet. It is uncoloured and looks very light. A nice interesting dram!
Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 PM

Ancnoc isn't one I've ever been really fond of, but that sounds actually pretty good (like a Lagavullin Ardbeg cross!).

If you like smoke Tirebob, and you are also a fan of anything Highland Park like I am, try the Highland Park Valkyrie (under $100)....it has about double the ppm as any of their other offerings, a really great bit of peat and smoke that I'm sure you will like.

On a dark and rainy, foggy night, there just isn't anything better than a Laphroaig or an Ardbeg!

Old 10-29-2017, 02:25 PM

This is the perfect time of year to bring out the peat!! Nice and warm. I could probably spend more time holding a real peaty whiskey under my nose and breathing it in that drinking it. Totally going for the Karl Malden nose when I’m old. Lol
Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
This is the perfect time of year to bring out the peat!! Nice and warm. I could probably spend more time holding a real peaty whiskey under my nose and breathing it in that drinking it. Totally going for the Karl Malden nose when I’m old. Lol
Ha! I'm the same way, nosing a great peated whisky is almost as good as sipping it.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Ha! I'm the same way, nosing a great peated whisky is almost as good as sipping it.
When my dad and I get together for family dinners at this time of year everybody thinks we turn into Neanderthals because we just hold whiskey under our noses and grunt. Haha