Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default Issues in the penalty box

So, I had the pleasure of serving in the box last night as I watched my Sons Esso Minor Hockey week turn into Esso Minor Hockey weekend.

5 Min left and a aggressive play between our forward and their defensemen. It resulted in offsetting penalties for both. My guy comes to the box and is just spitting mad, doesn't say anything but is giving the other kid a massive stink eye. Woman is running the other box and starts freaking out about how he is trying to start something in the box. She is screaming "DONT INSTIGATE, DONT SAY ANY THING. This causes the ref to come over and warn the kid in my box. I say to the ref, he hasn't said a word. The woman is screaming like a banshee and then this causes the other kid to start acting up like some tough kid.

Ref skates away, woman continues to yell, Kid in my box says to the woman. Shut your pie hole and do your job.

Woman shuts up...
Kid in the other box starts laughing. Woman slaps kid in the other box for laughing at her. Turns out that was the other kids Mom...
My kid gets a high five after the game.

Oh the Joy of Minor Hockey.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Default Soccer season is just around the corner!!!

Oh Jamie,

Just relax, let the Hockey mom be a Hockey mom.

Her son will grow up to be a normal, well adjusted young man, just watch.

And besides, you have all Spring to look forward to dealing with all the Soccer Moms!!!!! (Hockey moms have nothing on Soccer Moms!)

Drewski
Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM

I used to ref and I dreaded minor hockey week. The parents are the worst. The constant abuse and screaming was awful
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Oh Jamie,

Just relax, let the Hockey mom be a Hockey mom.

Her son will grow up to be a normal, well adjusted young man, just watch.

And besides, you have all Spring to look forward to dealing with all the Soccer Moms!!!!! (Hockey moms have nothing on Soccer Moms!)

Drewski
Sorry to say but my kids are in both and I can honestly say Hockey Mom's are way worse than Soccer Mom's
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sorry to say but my kids are in both and I can honestly say Hockey Mom's are way worse than Soccer Mom's
Agreed.. While Soccer mom's aren't anything to write home about.. Hockey mom's are much worse..
Old 01-15-2018, 01:47 PM

Hockey is fun. The game within the game. Priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
So, I had the pleasure of serving in the box last night as I watched my Sons Esso Minor Hockey week turn into Esso Minor Hockey weekend.

5 Min left and a aggressive play between our forward and their defensemen. It resulted in offsetting penalties for both. My guy comes to the box and is just spitting mad, doesn't say anything but is giving the other kid a massive stink eye. Woman is running the other box and starts freaking out about how he is trying to start something in the box. She is screaming "DONT INSTIGATE, DONT SAY ANY THING. This causes the ref to come over and warn the kid in my box. I say to the ref, he hasn't said a word. The woman is screaming like a banshee and then this causes the other kid to start acting up like some tough kid.

Ref skates away, woman continues to yell, Kid in my box says to the woman. Shut your pie hole and do your job.

Woman shuts up...
Kid in the other box starts laughing. Woman slaps kid in the other box for laughing at her. Turns out that was the other kids Mom...
My kid gets a high five after the game.

Oh the Joy of Minor Hockey.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM

The most entertaining thing that I have seen from a hockey mom was during a midget game. Two players threw off the gloves and went at it, and one of their mothers ran out and started throwing punches at the other player, and clawing at his face. The linesman were thrown off guard, and had quite the time getting her separated from the other player, and off of the ice. I worked with the woman's husband at the time, and I knew the player as well. Both the husband and the kid were very embarrassed, as of course the kid and the father were teased about the kid needing his mother to fight for him. These days, the mother would likely be hauled off of the ice by the police and charged with assault. At the time, myself and many people that knew the mother, were hoping that the other kid would drop her with a punch.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM
Banned

Hockey Moms are a different species.. But when you combine a Hockey Mom with a Soccer Mom thats when things get interesting...

The screeching that comes from the stands when kids get in each others face...... Its so annoying.

Another animal I can't stand is "Negative Hockey Dad"
Jesus, shut up and enjoy the game.

The species that I have described above are still rather rare as the vast majority of parents in the stands are of the same feelings as me. Who cares, it's fun to watch and we like the excitement. We all know the skill isn't there and the only time I see (and feel) disappointment is when the effort isn't there.

Have fun, play your game (What ever game that may be) Respect the game, respect your team mates. Enjoy it all as it is coming to a end faster than you know.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Hockey moms can be really “interesting”.
Goalies moms on the other hand are for the most part on their own separate level of “interesting”.

All that aside, try being in the box for junior A game.
I’ve only ever had to signal an official back to the penalty box once. There were 3 guys from each team in their respective penalty boxes, and the chirping went over the top. They tried climbing over us off ice officials to get at each other. The ref dished out 6 game misconducts, and suspensions followed. Usually all it takes is for me to break the eye contact between both benches and give our home team player ”the look”, but 6 sets of eyes couldn’t get my undivided attention.
We did have one player from the Thunder who stepped on my foot while he was serving a 2 min minor. He wouldn’t sit down and really danced around feeling every blocked shot and play while the PK was happening. I learnt to stand on the penalty box bench when he served any other penalties, and open the gate with a skate lace.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 PM

When I looked after ACAC college hockey games I'd take a stack of pucks and stick them on the door latch between the timekeeper's booth and the penalty boxes. (pucks would keep it from opening) Players would sometimes try to open the doors to get at each other.

There was one real crazy night where both teams started going at it in the hallway between the dressing rooms. Got caught in the middle of it with the refs. After that there were drapes hung so each team didn't see each other under the bleachers.

I normally ran the time clock, but once in a while would run penalty box. There's always the guys that try to fling the door open before the time's out. You learn to get out of the way quick.

Probably the most memorable 'incident' I ever had was as a kid watching an Innisfail Eagles game with my grandfather. A fight broke out in the stands, and these two guys rolled down the bleachers. Stopped fighting long enough for someone to grab a little kid out of the way and went back at it. The play on the ice stopped and the players and ref's stood around watching.

RCMP came and picked them both up, then play resumed!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:07 PM

I coached for many, many years, and eventually went to reffing to get away from the parents. Fortunately, I was born with concrete ears, so I heard little or nothing on the ice. One game, A fan from one team really abusively laid into my partner, a very young ref. I skated over to his team's bench, told the coach that if his fan did not leave the arena, I would call the game where it stood. Eventually, the disruptive fan agreed to leave. Later that month, I attended my first zone referee's meeting. Turns out that fan was the zone's referee-in-chief. He was very supportive at the meeting, and actually congratulated me on how I handled it, and apologized for his behavior. I'll never forget that!

Vic
Old 01-15-2018, 04:12 PM

Yep, hockey moms and dads, crazy fans...seen some pretty good stuff over the last 13 years or so. Sometimes you just have to say something, especially that abusive screaming hockey dad who berates his kid the whole game. We had a dad like that, beginning of season he sat with team parents, by the time we were six games in nobody would sit by him, by game ten, I finally went over to him and told him that unless he had changed his kid's name to Jesus Christ legally, he should probably stop screaming it over the glass. He quieted down a bit, but we all felt bad for his kid.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-15-2018, 04:12 PM

I've coached my kids in soccer for a while now. I have only seen two moms get weird as fans yet seemed like almost every time I went to watch a friends kid in hockey, there was at least one mom beaking off lol. I think hockey moms beat out soccer moms
Old 01-15-2018, 04:26 PM

I have coached (soccer) for almost 20 years and I can agree - parents are the worst !!!!

Despite coaching at the highest levels people don't get the fact that their little Johnny, no matter how awesome they think he is, is unlikely to make the big leagues.

Some parents suck the life (love) out of their kids sports experience.

Some parents coach their kids from the sidelines, encouraging them to be a hero, when this, in fact hurts the team and may be counter intuitive to what I, as the coach, want Johnny to do.

Some parents want little Johnny to get more time on the field (or ice) than he deserves.

Some parents don't understand that this is not community, equal time share, fair sports when played at this level.

Some parents are belligerent, violent, condescending and represent us (and their kids) in the worst light.

Man the list goes on and on .....

The stuff kids do, and the problems they cause are so minor compared to this stuff. Stuff adults should know better.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Banned

Coached bantam aa/aaa in edmonton for a few years. Kids are great, parents are savages. I don’t know what’s worse.. the psycho freak out parents, or the bribes yes bribes from parents.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 PM

When I ran the arena the women were disgusting. It was hard to believe all the ponytaill wearing church mom's went next door to pray after talking the way they did. The church actually is across the street from the arena.
Same old story though, 1 face online, another in person, another in church.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Hockey is fun. The game within the game. Priceless.
I am really going to miss it all when he is done. Perhaps this is the last year? He is second year Midget.

I believe I will go back to being a non parent coach when he is done. Right now I coach High school football and would love to do both.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
Coached bantam aa/aaa in edmonton for a few years. Kids are great, parents are savages. I don’t know what’s worse.. the psycho freak out parents, or the bribes yes bribes from parents.
I and many others got screwed by bribes from the so called rich parents...and yes...pee wee, bantam and midget....This was in Medicine Hat...

I was proud of my Dad for not having to kiss ass and bribe the coaches for me. Definately made me the human I am today...Thank's Dad
Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I and many others got screwed by bribes from the so called rich parents...and yes...pee wee, bantam and midget....This was in Medicine Hat...

I was proud of my Dad for not having to kiss ass and bribe the coaches for me. Definately made me the human I am today...Thank's Dad
Quite sickening what some parents are willing to do for their kids hockey. I loved the hockey aspect of it but it’s not for me. Once you see the business/crooked side of minor hockey you lose all respect for people.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 PM

One of my favourite memories of minor hockey was due to my son

He looked at me and said “dad, i dont want to play hockey anymore”

Best day ever.

I found the women the worst. Hardly any dads showed up because they worked

The “stay at home” moms. Their world revolved around that game or practice. Nothing better to do. No career. No job. No scruples. Petty monsters who truly lack a life.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:11 PM

You guys should read Patrick O'Sullivan's book titled Breaking Away if you really want to know what a hardcore parent is. Very sad story.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You guys should read Patrick O'Sullivan's book titled Breaking Away if you really want to know what a hardcore parent is. Very sad story.
Didn’t read his book but I listened to an hour long interview about his story. Amazing a kid who went through what he did and how he was able to battle through and make it as far as he did.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Banned

I was very happy when my boys decided to quit hockey and devote themselves to baseball. Tanned baseball mom's are much much hotter then hockey moms.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
Quite sickening what some parents are willing to do for their kids hockey. I loved the hockey aspect of it but it’s not for me. Once you see the business/crooked side of minor hockey you lose all respect for people.
It's really funny to watch the politics in action at the rink. Unless your kid is really good and it's obvious he's triple A material you never know which level your kids will be playing at. If he fits right into the middle of the group, skill wise, the selection is down to whose dad golfs with who, which school your go to or street you live on. If the coach has kids on the team, his kids top three buddies are guaranteed to make the team. I'm talking AA down. It's a racket, but is entertaining to watch. My boys never cared, loved the game, but kids they played with even said they had no idea how they made the AA teams, but were just really good friends with the coaches son. One year during tryouts, one father nearly spent his entire paycheque bringing Tim Hortons to the coaching staff, lol. I still had many good times at the rink tho, lots of really good people too. But I have seen things that I will never forget. Just boils down to overly competitive people that really don't get how insignificant the game is in the grand scheme of it all. Because only a handful of the kids that played where we were made the WHL, and a couple drafted, and it was obvious from a young age where they were headed. The rest of the kids were just playing hockey, anyway was still lots of fun times too looking back. I spent most my time visiting with parents in the stands, maybe thats why I didn't get too work up, missed half the game.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 PM

After coaching from Initiation up to Midget AA, I gladly left the bench.
Not because of the kids....

My boy still plays, junior now, and i stand far away from any Mother, or try to. Other night I swear I almost slit my wrists....

Your son is 20. He should be able to take a hit by now. Shut up.
Ringette is prolly out of reach now as well, so please, grow a pair.
Or make him....
Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The most entertaining thing that I have seen from a hockey mom was during a midget game. Two players threw off the gloves and went at it, and one of their mothers ran out and started throwing punches at the other player, and clawing at his face. The linesman were thrown off guard, and had quite the time getting her separated from the other player, and off of the ice. I worked with the woman's husband at the time, and I knew the player as well. Both the husband and the kid were very embarrassed, as of course the kid and the father were teased about the kid needing his mother to fight for him. These days, the mother would likely be hauled off of the ice by the police and charged with assault. At the time, myself and many people that knew the mother, were hoping that the other kid would drop her with a punch.
I'm going to call total BS on this fantasy!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 PM

Went to the rink few years back, 10 cop cars in the parking lot, figure the boys had a rec game going although it was early evening, go inside there's 30parents on the ice, some from both teams.

Cops on the ice arresting parents in street shoes trying to fight, players skating around trying to get at each other, seemed like nobody really got hurt...
Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 PM

Man that's hilarious!!! ^^^^^. Makes a guy chuckle to see how wound up adults can get at the rink.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 PM

This is a Very fitting thread for me to
Read today. My son was in a tournament this weekend in the states and the amount of yelling at the players from the fans and coaches was horrendous. Down in the states, they must not have to take the "Respect in sport" online course that we do up here. It was shocking.....
My son was yelled at by the fans in the stands and the opposing teams coaches. And even when he was leaving the dressing room parents and coaches were yelling at him and one coach even pushed him. My son did not get kicked out of any games, he did not get into any fights on the ice, and did not get any malicious penalties either. Of course he isn't innocent in all this, he talked back to the coaches on the ice.

Another one of his teammates was given the finger by an opposing teams parents after he was kicked out of the game for a hit from behind.

It was deplorable behaviour by the fans and coaches...
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow View Post
This is a Very fitting thread for me to
Read today. My son was in a tournament this weekend in the states and the amount of yelling at the players from the fans and coaches was horrendous. Down in the states, they must not have to take the "Respect in sport" online course that we do up here. It was shocking.....
My son was yelled at by the fans in the stands and the opposing teams coaches. And even when he was leaving the dressing room parents and coaches were yelling at him and one coach even pushed him. My son did not get kicked out of any games, he did not get into any fights on the ice, and did not get any malicious penalties either. Of course he isn't innocent in all this, he talked back to the coaches on the ice.

Another one of his teammates was given the finger by an opposing teams parents after he was kicked out of the game for a hit from behind.

It was deplorable behaviour by the fans and coaches...
One coach pushed him???? Are you kidding? Some rough barns out there and all you spoke of doesn't bother me, in fact, I think it ads to the kids enjoyment and the ability to tell stories later. But a coach pushing a kid... Thats beyond comprehension.