Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Burnstick

Just wondering who has been out to burnstick lately, and how thick is the ice? Perch and Pike good as usual?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
TundraBuck

Should be good to go by now, we went out once last year and jigged small five of diamonds spoons and we caught a ton of hammer handles and actually some decent sized perch.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 AM

where are the hotspots to go on burntstick? I have only been there on open water?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:44 PM
TundraBuck

Well usually the further west/southwest you go the better. I had the most success in 25ish ft of water.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:10 PM

I live 3 miles north of burtstick and have had good luck so far. the ice is 8 to 10 inches. Lots of perch and the odd walleye. I usually dont fish for slough sharks as they arnt good eating. All though ive got a few while bringing up the perch. Best spots to go are in about 15-25 feet of water. south west end at the "Burnstick Lake resort" is always good. White n Pink Mitzi Ditzi and maggots always work. See you out there and good luck
Old 12-14-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote by Brett01--"I usually dont fish for slough sharks as they arnt good eating."

You're kidding right?? Get real bud!!! lol
Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Apparently Buck Krazy the man doesnt know how to Fillet them and or Cook them. Reminds of when my GF's son showed up for a fish fry. He asked me what i was cooking and i told him Pike & Whitefish. He said to me isnt Pike a sh^t fish to eat? I told him you can be the Judge. Well let me tell you he wants more Pike on the table for now on when there is a fish fry going on.

Mudder
Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 PM

haha funny, yah ive had good ones and bad, depends on the water they come out of. i havent had good luck with the taste of them out of burntstick is all. on the other hand they are great out of the brazeau. Colder water and less muskegg. they are great out of cold water battered n deep fried
Old 12-14-2007, 07:52 PM
jrs

I know a lot of people that think pike is by far the best eating fish in Alberta. I like them but ate so many as a kid i only keep the odd little one now. Whenever we gill hook one its easy to find a good home for . I love fishing lakes with no size limit for that reason. Guys have different tastes though, i'm not a huge fan of walleye, thats definetly a bit different from most guys(probably due to eating some out of the Oldman River in the past, little iffy). I may have to go try Burnstick this winter, i remember driving by a few times and thinking it looked like a nice area. I have heard there's lots of big pike in some parts of it as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 PM

The Brazeau has some darn tastey Pike as i have eaten quite a few from there. Also is it a blast doing the suicide fishing for them back in the Logs on the east south side. More fun for me in the spring there JRS when you can get around with the small boat back in the back corners.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 PM

yah theres fish in that place that i dont even wanna see, look like logs swimming around. spring fishing them is good really good in about march. and yes they are darn good outa there. my biggest is a 26 lb caught 4 years ago or so
Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Default re

Do you guys get any good sized pike? JRS me and a buddy pulled a couple eyes out of travers in OCT, I would take pike through the ice any day. I love trout from a stream--- too bad about all the yuppies straight out of an orvis catalouge think these fish are sacred so you can barely keep one anywhere.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 AM

what lakes are you trying to pike fish? as in regards to burntstick you will pull 3-7 pounders outa there all day long if you want. Put anything bigger than that is a long cast if you know what i mean. Great eaters tho. For bigger ones but with less action i'd try sylvan or gull big bodies of water hold big fish.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:49 AM

Brett in one post you say the pike out of burnstick taste bad.

"I havent had good luck with the taste of them out of burntstick is all."

Then you say the other.

"what lakes are you trying to pike fish? as in regards to burntstick you will pull 3-7 pounders outa there all day long if you want. Put anything bigger than that is a long cast if you know what i mean. Great eaters tho."

Haha just bugging you man but are they good or bad

Barbwire
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 AM

sorry i should have specified on that, "good eating size" is what i meant. I dont care for them out of their put others like em, so its really up to your taste i guess. fun to catch tho, excpecially on a perch rig when your bringing a perch up!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:11 PM

Default re

Are the perch eater size?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 PM

ya i get some big ones, some in the 1 pound range. there is no problem on getting your limit on eater fish as it is only 5 per person.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:37 PM

Default right on!

Last pounder perch I caught was in Glenmore years ago. We normally fish pike in Travers which can be slow at times. We go to Twin Valley now and then but the average pike is very small out of there. Used to do great in Badger averaging a 40" plus fish every trip, though we released them I think too many big spawners got kept and we started to get skunked. Anything over 44" and 25lbs is going on my wall though.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 AM

i got a 26lber' out the brazeau a few years ago, let me tell you what a pig!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM

went out to burntstick this afternoon. Fishing was slow. the ice is only 8-10 inches and there are trucks driving all over. Pretty brave i figure. hooked and caught a 5 lb pike while jigging for perch. A first for me being it was a teardrop with a maggot. It sure did give my little perch rod a workout though!