Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Evinrude outboard

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Evinrude 2000 115 Ficht on an older boat. 180 hours on the motor. Any comments on the reliability and life expecancy of this outboard? Thank you.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 PM

check with a dealership and ask about parts for that engine outboard engines become obsolite pretty fast so be careful or you might have a engine u cant repair
Old 12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto55 View Post
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Evinrude 2000 115 Ficht on an older boat. 180 hours on the motor. Any comments on the reliability and life expecancy of this outboard? Thank you.
You might want to ask if you could take it to a dealer and have it checked over at your cost its a small price to pay and you can do like kyle6969 said when you get it there .

If the person gives you a hard time about getting it checked out i would say thats a good sign something is wrong.GOOD LUCK
Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

I'd do a thorough check on the net regarding the early FICHT engines, it seems to me there was A LOT of problems with them in the early years.

Boating and fishing bulletin boards will be your best friend on this one.

Waxy
Old 12-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Evinrude motors with Ficht tend to be a little grouchy. They tend to run rough. I Used to have one but it blew up this summer (almost literally). If I were you I would take it to an Evinrude dealer to get checked out before buying it. Anytime I have bought a used boat/motor I have brought them in to get checked out. The one time that the seller didn't want me to bring it in is when I knew to walk away!!
The new Evinrudes are really good. I had to buy one to replace the one I blew up this summer and it has proven to be really awesome. It has a ton of power!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
KyleM

Those motors had more then one problem.

I believe there was a recall on earlier models.

Call into the dealership and ask about them and youll get an ear full.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 PM

There is a website that has more boat and motor experts on it than all the other sites combined. Whenever I have a question I go there.
www.thehulltruth.com
Always have a certified mechanic check out a outboard before you buy. Repairs are real expensive.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Chris K

I would stay away from that engine if I were you, as there was a recall and everyone I knew that ran them or still have them have had major powerhead work done. Even with updates and recalls, it seems to be just a matter of time with those outboards before the repair bill gets big. I ran the same motor back in 2000 and had lots of fun with a brand new one back then. Post OMC ones were a lot better as BRP made things better, but on an older 2000 FIcht, even with 180 hours, I would be hesitant to buy that engine. What are you running for an engine right now on your boat? Repowering is a touchy topic price wise as you probably want to keep your same guages, steering, and throttle to keep the cost down. Chris K