Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Fishing Edmonton

Hey,

First of all I would like to say that I'm new to the site, and I'm SURE everyone has answered the questions i'm going to ask many many times for that i'm sorry.

I'm new to Edmonton, Moving from Manitoba working in the city. I am new to fly fishing but have spin cast since I could walk. When moving to a new province so much changes in regards to losing fishing spots and having a lack of knowledge about the area.

I have tried to do my research on where and when and what to use and any information I could to bring in how to fish successfully in the area.

Now for the questions,

I am currently living way south (Windemere) and I'm wondering if there are any key spots where I can drop a line and be successful. I'm really interested in catching any and all fish, not to keep but just for sport and to introduce my girlfriend to fishing.

I would be greatful for any details on a few spots and bait, lures that people find work for different species of fish. I would enjoy trying to hook a sturgeon, goldeye.

Also very interested in any where I can fly fish apart from the stock ponds which I have taught myself to flyfish and have caught (nothing big) 10'' Rainbows.

I have read so much information, on walking in the Bow, McLeod, Whitemud creek, and a few other places. However I would like some more information. That being said I know no one likes giving their secret fallback spots and don't expect anyone to do so, but I need somewhere to start!

Any information is appreciated and Fishing season is quickly coming and hope everyone stays safe, and has a great year!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Here's a link to help you find fly fishing spots in the Edmonton area.

Fly Fishing Edmonton

Cheers,
Doc
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM

I would recommend the north Saskatchewan river to anyone, it has a variety of fish and a ton of spots. The river is good for casting, fly fishing and still fishing, depends on how you like to spend your day. I have seen almost every species caught on a spoon or a white jig so you don't need a lot of tackle, but every day is different.
If you want a lake to fish I would just use google, most of the bigger lakes around the city are productive.
Hope I was of some help
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM

I bet your going to miss that Red River.... i know I would
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM

When I moved from Sask, I got a Barry Michaels guide. They are a great refrence, and worth the $10. If you would like I could show you a few common fishing spots in and around Edmonton.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies I appreciate everything along with a few pms. I welcome all the knowledge I can from the expirence on this site.

Unfortunately I never fished the Red as I'm from northern Manitoba.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 AM

if you are willing to travel a couple of hours, i would head north towards either the Little Smoky by Fox Creek or The Freeman by Swan Hills. great little rivers that are full of eager grayling and whitefish and bulls (and Athabasca Rainbows int he freeman) that are fun to fly fish for. easy 50+ fish days on either stream when you hit them at the right time.

of course there are tons of streams within about a 2 - 3 hr trip from Edmonton. Rocky Mountain House area, Nordegg area, Edson area, Hinton area, a little further and Grande Cache area.

those are a couple of my fav rivers and areas to hit up in summer.

rgds
Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
if you are willing to travel a couple of hours, i would head north towards either the Little Smoky by Fox Creek or The Freeman by Swan Hills. great little rivers that are full of eager grayling and whitefish and bulls (and Athabasca Rainbows int he freeman) that are fun to fly fish for. easy 50+ fish days on either stream when you hit them at the right time.

of course there are tons of streams within about a 2 - 3 hr trip from Edmonton. Rocky Mountain House area, Nordegg area, Edson area, Hinton area, a little further and Grande Cache area.

those are a couple of my fav rivers and areas to hit up in summer.

rgds
Mike
Do you mind being more specific, ei Edson area? Where in the Edson area what "Creek" where?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM

actually there are tons of creeks to hit in the Edson area. way too many to list.
i would get a Backwoods map book and take a look at any creek that enters either the Athabasca or McLeod river and explore them. also don't be afraid to try the main rivers especially the Mcleod and the mouth of any river that enters it or the Athabasca.they will be full of either grayling, brookies, rainbows, etc. a few are the Embarass river, Edson river , Pembina, Erith, Nosehill creek, any many other tiny creeks in the area. the upper reaches will be full of grayling with lower sections more rainbows and brookies. also some streams hold remanant brown populations if you can find them.

a good area to explore is south along the Coal branch towards and around Robb and Cadomin area. the further you get away from the main access points the better you will do. also north of Edson on the road that parallels the Athabasca, there are lots of nice little streams also. lots of oil lease roads to explore in that area also.

but definetly get the Backwoods Map book from just about any store (Walmart, Canadian Tire, Zellers, Fishing Hole, etc all carry it) and start looking at all the creeks in the area.

you will be surprised by the size of fish you will find in some of those creeks when you do a little exploring. i know i was.

rgds
Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM

What a great post! I have fished the red deer system for decades. Because of your info I think I'll try these areas. Besides they are closer to home. Nice to explore something new

Thanks for your input ..if you want info on red deer river check out post in the Discussion section same page ad this one.