Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Covid swab.

Last Wednesday I came home rom work and felt very weak, aching muscles, bones headache just like when you get the flu.
I go online look at covid symptoms and I fall in the category, I call health link and they told me to isolate for 10 days. I kept thinking about it and did some more online reading and it said everyone can get swabbed. I called healthlink again and got myself booked for a swab now 3 days later I feel 100% again. When I had the health link nurse on the line she told me if the test is negative you are ready to go back to work and no quarantine.
So this morning I had the swab done where they shove a stick down your throat, so that wasn't too pleasant.
Now that nurse told me if the test comes back negative I have to isolate for 10 days.
What is it, to isolate or not to isolate,one nurse tells you this the other that.

To me if the result is a negative you are good to go wouldn't you think?
This whole AHS makes very confusing.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I know someone who just went through this...felt sick..had symptoms, phoned was told to isolate and had to give names of all people they were in contact with, went in next day got tested, waited another day and got called negative all is good....was relatively easy for them and straight forward.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM

Yeah, it's confusing for sure. In terms of WHS standards, I believe the 811 nurse or an OHS nurse can provide direction. The nurse taking your swab can have an opinion but carries no official say.

If it were me I'd wait to get your test results and, if negative, call 811 back and ask to be cleared for work. If they are still set on the 10 days isolation, ask if it can be 10 days after first day of symptom onset vs. test result date.

Also, be thankful you didn't get the nasal swab. They basically stick a long q-tip up your nose until it feels like it's hitting your prefrontal cortex!