Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Lol yep, found it but thank you!

When they open borders again I can see a lot of people shopping south. We were sickened to see prices in Montana compared to here on lots of stuff. I always picked up a block of cheese for a friend, only ever found it there and in Idaho, was $4. Just comparable size here $14. Tillamook cheese, nice stuff.
Dairy in Canada is on a government quota system. Basically makes it impossible for you or me or anybody new to get into it. In the States its free market I believe.
I think anybody who can butcher beef is booked months in advance so they are turning down work right now and can charge as much as they want? Would that explain the retail prices?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:30 PM

Just got back from Walmart, was curious of the prices so I took a peak down the meal isle...

First thing I seen, mapleleaf pork side rib. $14.99lb.................
What in the hell has this world come too. And who are the idiots paying these prices lol.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have a buddy that owns several restaurants that JUST told me he is being told of a 40% spike in grocery prices coming. If you dont have overpriced meat in the freezer today it may be time to get some before it's really crazy.
I'm going to listen to him, he has multiple x what I will ever have in the bank
Building a small walk-in cooler for just this. Finding a person to slaughter an animal is hard, finding cooler space to properly age a carcass is even more difficult.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Dairy in Canada is on a government quota system. Basically makes it impossible for you or me or anybody new to get into it. In the States its free market I believe.
I think anybody who can butcher beef is booked months in advance so they are turning down work right now and can charge as much as they want? Would that explain the retail prices?
Quota system doesn't determine in store price only price to producer. In store price is determined by store for dairy products. Just an FYI virtually no country that removed quota system did dairy prices drop in store. In fact almost all of them it went up. But quota is the easy cow to kick when looking at price differentials
Old 05-30-2020, 05:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Chill folks .

Look at the bright side. Think of all the weight you're gonna lose.

We're all in this together.

It's the new norm.

Heck have you seen the price of those bags of radishes that are cleaned and ready to go. They went from a buck a pound a year ago to 4 bux a pound.

When I was kid and chicken wings had just been invented. They used to go on sale for 3lbs for a dollar. I saw some a few days ago on sale for $9.99 a lb.

I'm lucky to have friends that hunt and are happy to share since I don't get out any more much.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-30-2020, 05:47 PM

Exclamation Bohica

Seeing lots of incremental price increases on food products over the past month. Fruit and vegetables as well as canned and bottled products.
The most glaring has been the boneless pork loin chops at Costco. This timeline is approximate, the prices are accurate:
3 months ago- $7.99/kg
6 weeks ago- $8.99/kg
3 weeks ago- $10.99/kg
2 weeks ago- $11.99/kg
2 days ago- $12.49/kg

I haven't been following beef prices, as I don't buy it from local stores.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by urban rednek; 05-30-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Seeing lots of incremental price increases on food products over the past month. Fruit and vegetables as well as canned and bottled products.
The most glaring has been the boneless pork loin chops at Costco. This timeline is approximate, the prices are accurate:
3 months ago- $7.99/kg
6 weeks ago- $8.99/kg
3 weeks ago- $10.99/kg
2 weeks ago- $11.99/kg
2 days ago- $12.49/kg

Or just go farm direct, oh wait, the province built roadblocks because it was "unsafe" IE... a threat to the large packers.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:07 PM

Thumbs up Some prices are returning to normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
3 months ago- $7.99/kg
6 weeks ago- $8.99/kg
3 weeks ago- $10.99/kg
2 weeks ago- $11.99/kg
2 days ago- $12.49/kg

June 13 update- Update to the price of boneless pork loin chops at Heritage Drive Costco, as of yesterday: $12.99/kg

July 10 update- $7.79/kg

I noticed marginal price drops on other food products as well, both fresh and packaged. What is everyone else seeing in the stores they frequent?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-11-2020, 04:12 PM

Got a side of beef in March and a pig coming in Oct. Support local Ranchers.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:34 AM

Just bought a pig locally, a lot of hogs out there right now are over market size and olymel won’t take them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk