Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Get permethrin clothing. Apparently good. I don’t think they can label it anti tick in Canada but do in the USA.
You don't need to go that far.

Permethrin is the active ingredient in many bug sprays like Ant Out or Home Defense its concentration is only .025% though where as clothing is hit with a .05% spray.

Lay out the clothes you want to wear on your hikes spray them down with Home Defense let dry once it dries it is odourless and is perfectly safe to wear.

You can even spray your dogs down with it but not cats it can be deadly to cats.

I buy Permethrin in a 13% concentrate 1 litre bottle thru my business it makes appr 80 litres of .05% spray we spray ants at townhouse complexes with it it is a residual so stays quite a while on the surfaces it is sprayed onto.

Permethrin is the active ingredient in most wasp sprays.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:41 AM

Default permethrin

You can get the spray bottle at feed stores for horses. It has the right concentration and usually a nice citrus scent. For treating clothes, wear gloves and spray it on and let them dry before you wear them. Should be good for a couple washes.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I follow that thread, I actually started it LOL

ticks are nothing to mess with, Lyme disease is not taken serious enough by the medical community.

When my daughter had one on her scalp that was fully engorged years ago the doctors here literally refused to send it for testing. My wife found a lady that studied ticks and diseases at a university and we sent it to her, she gladly accepted.
The reason that lymes is not taken seriously is not by the medical community, but in fact the government, as the long term effect of lymes is too expensive to treat

They would rather deny its existence, than treat it.....Behind closed doors, any doctor worth their salt, will tell you this.

Places like Washington State, who have a huge tick problem, understand the problem and they will test and treat it. In Canada, southern Alberta, southern BC, Lake of the Woods all have high tick density.....

You find things like this out when it is close to you. You don't know a lot about this until you are involved.

A close friends, brother contracted lymes and after Alberta gave him the bums rush he went to Seattle for treatment. The treatment was too late and he near died. He will never lead a healthy life again.

Play safe,

PS: thanks troutbug for keeping this thread alive.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-04-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Look what I found at the pet store, look at ingredients! woohoo

Old 05-05-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
The reason that lymes is not taken seriously is not by the medical community, but in fact the government, as the long term effect of lymes is too expensive to treat

They would rather deny its existence, than treat it.....Behind closed doors, any doctor worth their salt, will tell you this.

Places like Washington State, who have a huge tick problem, understand the problem and they will test and treat it. In Canada, southern Alberta, southern BC, Lake of the Woods all have high tick density.....

You find things like this out when it is close to you. You don't know a lot about this until you are involved.

A close friends, brother contracted lymes and after Alberta gave him the bums rush he went to Seattle for treatment. The treatment was too late and he near died. He will never lead a healthy life again.

Play safe,

PS: thanks troutbug for keeping this thread alive.....
Lake of the woods, Shammis island, has so many you can see them.no guff, all over the place there along with Blastomycosis and the crap will kill you if you don't get treatment,60 people per year use to get it,it's in the soil as a spore.

They say online it only does this or that ,but it can get into your blood stream and eat your spinel disc's, brain and so on, real bad crap.Kill a healthy do in 10 days.You can even get in your prostate.NO GUFF.

JD
Old 05-09-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Lake of the woods, Shammis island, has so many you can see them.no guff, all over the place there along with Blastomycosis and the crap will kill you if you don't get treatment,60 people per year use to get it,it's in the soil as a spore.

They say online it only does this or that ,but it can get into your blood stream and eat your spinel disc's, brain and so on, real bad crap.Kill a healthy do in 10 days.You can even get in your prostate.NO GUFF.

JD
I have a feeling if I looked close enough we would see them where we were the other day.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:04 PM

Just pulled out of bob creek...did thorough tic checks, pulled one out of the dark secret place, driving home felt a tickle, pulled one off my neck. 2hrs later found another in my hairline. Pulled another off my bino harness. Hiking partners also pulled a few off. No bites thankfully but I’ll be looking at spray here on out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
Just pulled out of bob creek...did thorough tic checks, pulled one out of the dark secret place, driving home felt a tickle, pulled one off my neck. 2hrs later found another in my hairline. Pulled another off my bino harness. Hiking partners also pulled a few off. No bites thankfully but I’ll be looking at spray here on out!!!

I went hiking today, treated our backpacks and clothing with the spray I shared a picture of. Not one bug on us after
Old 05-09-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I went hiking today, treated our backpacks and clothing with the spray I shared a picture of. Not one bug on us after
Thanks for the update. Maybe a few more hikes and another?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Thanks for the update. Maybe a few more hikes and another?
heading out for a long one tomorrow so will be another good test
Old 05-09-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Did you spray it on just before or treat the clothing in the morning and let dry ?

My niece has Lyme disease. She is 22 and it has pretty well ruined her life. She’s been treated in Mexico and that helped but seems to have returned. Constant pain and suffering.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Did you spray it on just before or treat the clothing in the morning and let dry ?

My niece has Lyme disease. She is 22 and it has pretty well ruined her life. She’s been treated in Mexico and that helped but seems to have returned. Constant pain and suffering.
treated the night before

Sorry to hear that, most people I read about who contract lyme really suffer
Old 05-09-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
treated the night before

Sorry to hear that, most people I read about who contract lyme really suffer
Yeah it is not good. Stay safe out there. Canada will only recognize 3 strains of Lyme. There is many more.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:33 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...ay/ar-BB13RzJS
Old 05-11-2020, 09:14 AM

I’ve found the ridge near Talbot lake, cinquefoil, and morro area are pretty bad for ticks. March to... Especially now! I love spiders, but ticks are horrible creatures. I’m as fond of them as viruses and cancer...
A colleague actually used ticks for her research on their internal “antifreeze” properties, and those sum-b’s are so tough.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:41 AM

Once Lyme has set in from what I under stand you can not get rid of it. My friend has been being treated for about 8 years now. He is 25 and walks around like an eighty year old man. It is only a couple of days after the bite to get a cure or you end up suffering.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:58 AM

Found this website. Lots of good info, including a tick kit you can buy...

https://canlyme.com/lyme-prevention/

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-11-2020, 10:18 AM

I remember having to remove them from my legs when I was in Germany... One trick I learned there was to use UHU (glue) to seal them in... Causing them to pull their head out of your skin to be able to breathe again. Wasn't always effective, but definitely preferable to the lighter trick.

Thanks for the tips re: Permetherin. Good stuff. Will be hosing down my clothes prior to bear hunting.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:09 PM

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/500g-...pray/p/5089021

Bugs don’t like this stuff either. I’ve only used it for flys. I’m not endorsing anyone to bathe in it, but I bet it’s no worse then deet or the like. It is for use in dairy barns and food processing so I’d assume somewhat safer then some products.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:15 PM

When we were young kids in Manitoba at the farm we wood have contests to see how many we had on us at night, Good Times till I found a big engorged one in the back of my skull LOL

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
Once Lyme has set in from what I under stand you can not get rid of it. My friend has been being treated for about 8 years now.

He is 25 and walks around like an eighty year old man. It is only a couple of days after the bite to get a cure or you end up suffering.
You are correct sir:

Lyme disease can cause delayed neurologic symptoms similar to those seen in multiple sclerosis (MS) such as weakness, blurred vision caused by optic neuritis, dysesthesias (sensations of itching, burning, stabbing pain, or “pins and needles”), confusion and cognitive dysfunction, and fatigue.

It will also accelerates arthritis; this why you feel like you are 80 years old.

I know, because I live with lymes every day.

Be careful and always check yourself especially the high heat areas like your crotch, crack of your bum, ears, arm pits, between your toes, scalp etc.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-11-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:54 PM

Just saw a tv ad for tick repellant clothing by wind river at Mark's.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 PM

Default Ticks

Simms fishing products, make a hoody, called the bug stopper.
The fabric is infused with Permetherin. It does seem to work well on mosquitoes
Cannot vouch for ticks.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 PM

You can buy concentrate Permethrin at the the CO-OP or UFA. It is 10%. Mix with water and allow clothes to dry. 1 gallon jug when mixed to .5% would go a long ways for cheap.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:24 PM

Holy cow you guys are scaring me...

Always worried about ticks as a kid but have never found one on me. I'll have o get the wife to check me up and down the next time I'm out. Yikes!
Old 05-29-2020, 06:21 PM

Remi warren did a podcast just recently on how he avoids tick and some of his scary experiences with them. It was really well done with a lot of good information

Old 06-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Are the ticks found mostly in southern Alberta or they are also present around Edmonton area? I have been hunting birds around Edmonton for a few years now and haven’t seen one yet.... Also when we were picking mushrooms last year in July, haven’t seen any either...
Old 06-02-2020, 12:34 PM

There’s lots around Lloydminster KGB so I assume they’re around Edmonton as well.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Found these 2 on the boss's dog. More intense scrutiny revealed another one.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:49 PM

I was able to find some product at the pets mart, a spray for dogs that has 0.5 permethrin. Will it work to spray on a clothes?