Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 11:02 PM

And neither one is actually law, they are departmental policies only, there is no definition or instruction of the method to be used in the firearms act.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 AM

Default Chokes do not affect a shotgun's bore diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
I guess the question is then, between the CFP and their measurement methods and a CBSA memorandum, which is the one that actually applies. It certainly seems like the CBSA has made their own definition that ignores the method the CFP uses
Important notice: Update on 10 and 12 gauge shotgun classification under the new prohibition
The Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) of the RCMP adheres to the Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners' (AFTE) definition for bore diameter measurements. "The interior dimensions of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." (Glossary of the Association of Firearm & Tool Mark Examiners by the AFTE Standardization Committee, 1st Ed. 1980). This is reflected in the RCMP's Firearms Reference Table (FRT) which clearly states that "...in shotguns, diameter of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." The CFP also recognizes the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) standards regarding firearms and ammunition. The SAAMI chamber specifications for 10ga and 12ga shotguns do not include chokes therefore indicating that chokes are not part of the bore. Accordingly, it is the CFP's view that, in accordance with acceptable firearms industry standards for shotguns, the bore diameter measurement is considered to be at a point after the chamber, but before the choke.

Further, in making classification assessments of firearms which are reflected in the FRT, the CFP relies on recognized industry standard measurements. With respect to 10ga and 12ga shotguns, the CFP recognizes the SAAMI standard specifications which establish that the nominal (i.e. standard) bore diameter measurements for 10ga and 12ga shotguns are below the 20mm threshold (19.69mm for 10ga, 18.42mm for 12ga).

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...ms-and-devices
Old 05-27-2020, 07:21 AM

Guys at work are receiveing letters from the rcmp about this 20mm thing and is says to basically wait for further word on the law and to have the firearm dismantled
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Guys at work are receiveing letters from the rcmp about this 20mm thing and is says to basically wait for further word on the law and to have the firearm dismantled
The guys at work should just go shooting.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 AM

From the CSSA last nite;

Is the RCMP Lying Too?

After the CSSA revealed that the new Order in Council prohibiting firearms of 20mm or larger bore, the RCMP scrambled to proudly display a "new test procedure" that would somehow magically render the Criminal Code Regulations null and void.

Their Minister of Misinformation Bill Blair, also posted a law changing tweet proclaiming that the law didn't mean exactly what it said in plain English. Of course, he could have simply added two little words, "except shotguns" to the simple declaration in the OiC but instead, chose to lie his face off to Canadians (and the House of Commons) telling them it didn't mean what it plainly said.

But apparently the Mounties were lying too, because of what it says in the Firearms Reference Tables - the famous RCMP oracle of all things firearms-related. Apparently they can't even get their own story straight. Please note the word "muzzle" in the image below. Will the RCMP come up with a new version of the word muzzle? Stay tuned.

PS: By the way, the "diameter of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke" includes the forcing cone, that has a nominal diameter in most 12 gauge shotguns of 20.3 mm tapering to approximate 18.5 mm. And of course, if the bore may not exceed 20 mm, that would obviously be the largest part of the bore, not the smallest. But you knew that, right?

http://web-extract.constantcontact.c...k3hMiACoMqnF_U
Old 05-28-2020, 09:05 AM

Default No letter yet

Very curious to see how the shotgun thing gets settled. It’s hilarious / sad / terrifying how inept everyone involved with this seems to be. It’s not complicated math, 12 gauge and 10 gauge are definitions of size which should correlate to an equivalent mm size. Can you imagine if ammo manufacturers were as confused about the dimensions of a 12 or 10 gauge shotgun as the officials in Canada seem to be?!
No letter in my mailbox yet either.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:41 PM

I got my letter today.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 AM

Very simple definition if you "sustain yourself from hunting and trapping". The majority of your income when you file your tax return will be from sale of your furs and not from high payed oilfield job.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I got my letter today.
me too...used it to start the burning barrel this morning....was not a waste of paper...I put it to good use...thx Turd.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-29-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Very simple definition if you "sustain yourself from hunting and trapping". The majority of your income when you file your tax return will be from sale of your furs and not from high payed oilfield job.
Very simple indeed.
Your definition mimics what anti-hunting/trapping campaigns promote in an effort to eliminate 99.9% of hunters and trappers from legally practicing their inalienable right.

I'm shaking my head at your suggestion.
Makes me wonder who or what you really are.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-29-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I got my letter today.
Mine came yesterday.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:16 PM

How about we confuse them and return it with 'not at this address' written on it.

Jason
Old 05-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post
My deceased son got one yesterday. My daughter and i havent got none yet.
I'm sorry about the loss of your son. May you and your family find peace and comfort in your memories of him.