Old 05-27-2020, 04:35 PM

Default BRP ends E-tec outboards.

Breaking news in the marine industry.

http://ir.brp.com/news-releases/news...-technologies/

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM

That's surprising. Sure popular technology in their sleds. Thought it would be the same in the boating world. My Evi is a 30 yr old 9.9 lol.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:46 PM

Wow!
Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
That's surprising. Sure popular technology in their sleds. Thought it would be the same in the boating world. My Evi is a 30 yr old 9.9 lol.

In the sleds where they use Etecs, lightweight is number #1 priority and reliability and fuel mileage isn’t. In outboards it’s the opposite, fuel mileage and reliability is most important and weight is secondary. That’s why the four stroke outboard market shut them down. I just don’t understand why they didn’t build four stroke outboards, they are the number 1 four stroke manufacturer in snowmobiles.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:26 PM

Amazing they used COVID as reason for this strategic directional change. To me competition is good and they were a great alternative. So this kinda sux.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:33 PM

I looked at them last yr but they couldn't compete with Mercury or Yamaha on price. I went with the Yamaha, no regrets.
I am a big fan of Evinrude before BRP got hold of them.I have 5 vintage Evinrude /Johnson still in the shed .
Old 05-27-2020, 07:38 PM

Surprised to hear this, everyone I know that has been around them raves about the E-tech outboards. I’ve never ran one.

My old 82 7.5 hp Evinrude and 150 HP Johnson Fast Strike have been awesome motors.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
In the sleds where they use Etecs, lightweight is number #1 priority and reliability and fuel mileage isn’t. In outboards it’s the opposite, fuel mileage and reliability is most important and weight is secondary. That’s why the four stroke outboard market shut them down. I just don’t understand why they didn’t build four stroke outboards, they are the number 1 four stroke manufacturer in snowmobiles.
The price of them was the obstacle. However the e-techs were building more HP and torque and revved higher than any four stroke. The E-Tec’s would throttle any outboard out there. Sad to hear this. I wanted a G2 when I planned to buy a new boat in the next 10ish years.

I have an early 90’s 9.9 evinrude. My brother has the 150 e-tec and that thing impresses the heck out of me.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 05-27-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 PM

I wonder what this will mean for future parts availability for those of us with older Johnson and Evinrude Outboards?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:32 PM

This is disappointing to hear. I run a 2019 Alumacraft with a 40 Etec. Great motor and it barely uses any oil. Very good technology.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:08 PM

I love my 2017 25hp E-Tec.
I run it on a 16' deep hull and it flies, comes out of the water very quick too.
Price tag is more than a Merc but I think its worth it.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 PM

Ya this sucks. BRP couldn’t manage to find a corner in a square room. OMC was quite the brand for the most part just fell into the wrong hands.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 PM

Hopefully someone buys the technology and restarts it. One can only hope.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Hopefully someone buys the technology and restarts it. One can only hope.
Me also. I have one as a kicker that I plan on keeping a long time.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
The price of them was the obstacle. However the e-techs were building more HP and torque and revved higher than any four stroke. The E-Tec’s would throttle any outboard out there. Sad to hear this. I wanted a G2 when I planned to buy a new boat in the next 10ish years.

I have an early 90’s 9.9 evinrude. My brother has the 150 e-tec and that thing impresses the heck out of me.
I agree 1000%. These aren't your grandpa's 2-strokes. And the poor fuel mileage and reliability stuff is pure nonsense. They actually use less fuel than a comparable 4 stroke that produces the same torque and horsepower and less moving parts = greater reliability. I also wanted a G2 on my next boat. I'm running a 12 year old optimax right now and the thing is bulletproof. And sips fuel. And I have never babied it, I run the whey out of it. I've had several Evinrudes in the past and they all ran well.
A pretty sad day in the marine industry IMO.

Last edited by Buckhead; 05-27-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 PM

Wow, thats pretty amazing news.

They were the number one go-to outboard for the Coast Guard. They ran alot of their R&D through the CG because they would put them through the greatest amount of hours in such a short time span. And the most abuse that anyone could imagine....destroying both legs (on a twin 300 outboard set up) at 50 knts, after hitting a log, many many groundings, 4-5 meter seas, and alot trained on these as well....
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I agree 1000%. These aren't your grandpa's 2-strokes. And the poor fuel mileage and reliability stuff is pure nonsense. They actually use less fuel than a comparable 4 stroke that produces the same torque and horsepower and less moving parts = greater reliability. I also wanted a G2 on my next boat. I'm running a 12 year old optimax right now and the thing is bulletproof. And sips fuel. And I have never babied it, I run the whey out of it. I've had several Evinrudes in the past and they all ran well.
A pretty sad day in the marine industry IMO.

I realize full well that these aren’t my Grandpas two stroke. They do well on fuel, yes, but not better than a four stroke as BRP’s marketing department would want you to believe. There’s many real world tests that prove this. The older Optimax actually do better than the etec. They are reliable but not like a four stroke. A 200 hp Optimax is a 700-1000hr motor if you are lucky. Four stroke will easily make it to 2000 and probably even double that. Parts prices is another thing that put them out of business. I know a guy that had to replace the lower unit on his 60 Etec. $6000 plus labor!!! Don’t get me wrong, I like Evinrude products. But they should’ve looked at what the market wanted, and built that, instead of deciding they would build two strokes no matter what.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:08 PM

9 out of 10 guide boats on the West Coast run Yamahas and it isn’t because they were cheaper. I know quite a few people who work with their boat every day and while a few of them switched from Yamaha over to an E-tech they have all switched back to Yamaha for one reason or the other.

My wife’s cousin guides for a living and I asked him a few years back why he switched back to Yamaha. He said the E-techs just didn’t live up to the hype and when maintenance issues were factored in they were down more often and cost him more in the end to run.

Take it for what it’s worth...
Old 05-27-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I realize full well that these aren’t my Grandpas two stroke. They do well on fuel, yes, but not better than a four stroke as BRP’s marketing department would want you to believe. There’s many real world tests that prove this. The older Optimax actually do better than the etec. They are reliable but not like a four stroke. A 200 hp Optimax is a 700-1000hr motor if you are lucky. Four stroke will easily make it to 2000 and probably even double that. Parts prices is another thing that put them out of business. I know a guy that had to replace the lower unit on his 60 Etec. $6000 plus labor!!! Don’t get me wrong, I like Evinrude products. But they should’ve looked at what the market wanted, and built that, instead of deciding they would build two strokes no matter what.
And how many fishermen in Canada ever hour out an outboard? Unless you are a hardcore tourney fisherman or a guide a decently maintained outboard - 2 stroke or 4 stroke will last 25 years. I'm not bashing 4 strokes. I have seen just as many no go 4 strokes on lakes and at the dock as I have 2 strokes, so they don't seem a lot different as far as reliability goes. And just as many tests regarding 2 stroke fuel efficiency. My Opti is well past the 1500 hour mark and I have only had to replace 1 water pump impellor - that's it. Hours on any engine are the result of proper maintenance practices. I wouldn't know how much a lower unit cost as I have never had to replace one - out of 4 Evinrudes and 2 Mercs. Some outboards are going to be lemons, no matter what name is on the cowling.
There is still a market for that product. There are a lot of people out there who would still be running 2 strokes if they hadn't been pushed into a 4 stroke by the Dealers and the Environerds.

Last edited by Buckhead; 05-27-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:21 AM

Positrack nailed it.

They were definately a niche market, only the guys they could browbeat into thinking all the crap about reliability and power being superior to 4 strokes. You could take a 1989 Johnson 15 out today give it a half dozen pulls and it would run like the day it was made.
That doesn't mean however it is the best engine ever made, like E'tec is claiming.
Yamaha's and Merc's are likely 95% of what you see on the ocean, then inboards and superengines making up the rest.

If my boat was bigger and I had some of the baller money that guys in here have, I would have 1 of these on the back of my boat. 627hp Corvette engine outboard. There is a boat in Rupert that has 2 of these hanging out the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3c_Uc_7ug

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 AM

I'm running a Mercury Verado now, and I love it, but I've had an ETEC that was really good to me too. Whether you're an ETEC fan or not, BRP discontinuing the ETEC is a bad situation for all of boating IMHO.

Competition is good for everyone. Different ideas and technology are good for everyone. I realize that ETEC had a very small share of the outboard market, especially globally, but we all lose when we don't have choices.

I also feel really bad for all the ETEC employees, ETEC dealers, and ETEC owners. Whether they're losing their jobs, struggling to keep their business afloat, or just losing a bunch of money in resale value, that arbitrary decision by BRP has created a terrible situation for all of them.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Does this mean there will be no new Evinrude outboards of any size? Evinrude is gone forever?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'm running a Mercury Verado now, and I love it, but I've had an ETEC that was really good to me too. Whether you're an ETEC fan or not, BRP discontinuing the ETEC is a bad situation for all of boating IMHO.

Competition is good for everyone. Different ideas and technology are good for everyone. I realize that ETEC had a very small share of the outboard market, especially globally, but we all lose when we don't have choices.

I also feel really bad for all the ETEC employees, ETEC dealers, and ETEC owners. Whether they're losing their jobs, struggling to keep their business afloat, or just losing a bunch of money in resale value, that arbitrary decision by BRP has created a terrible situation for all of them.

Fully agree with this. I also run Merc motors these days.

I do think it’s important to remember that competition remains in this industry. While Merc is dominant, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Tohatsu are all still options for the outboard consumer.

Agree that it’s not good for those employed by BRP’s outboard division, dealers, and those consumers with them on their rigs.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Fully agree with this. I also run Merc motors these days.

I do think it’s important to remember that competition remains in this industry. While Merc is dominant, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Tohatsu are all still options for the outboard consumer.

Agree that it’s not good for those employed by BRP’s outboard division, dealers, and those consumers with them on their rigs.

I have no idea when talking inland or Great Lakes but once you hit salt water Yamaha is very much the dominant brand in big outboards. You just need to take a look around when fishing to tell there are way more Yamahas out there. I’d go as far as to say that when it comes to big running power Yamahas would out number all other motors on the chuck combined especially when it comes to people who count on their motors for their livelihood. It’s just that night and day.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I have no idea when talking inland or Great Lakes but once you hit salt water Yamaha is very much the dominant brand in big outboards. You just need to take a look around when fishing to tell there are way more Yamahas out there. I’d go as far as to say that when it comes to big running power Yamahas would out number all other motors on the chuck combined especially when it comes to people who count on their motors for their livelihood. It’s just that night and day.
It's about having a choice. If I am not running a cabin cruiser in the chuck I would prefer to have an Etec on the back of my boat. That's my choice and I am not bashing anyone who would think differently.
I am sure Honda Civics are great cars and soy smoothies are some peoples favorite drink. But you won't see me ever choosing to drive a Civic or partake of anything soy. That's just my choice.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I agree....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
9 out of 10 guide boats on the West Coast run Yamahas and it isn’t because they were cheaper. I know quite a few people who work with their boat every day and while a few of them switched from Yamaha over to an E-tech they have all switched back to Yamaha for one reason or the other.

My wife’s cousin guides for a living and I asked him a few years back why he switched back to Yamaha. He said the E-techs just didn’t live up to the hype and when maintenance issues were factored in they were down more often and cost him more in the end to run.

Take it for what it’s worth...
exactly sometimes you just gotta see what people run when its a business and downtime is lost revenue...ya cant operate a business that waiting for parts...just saying.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
exactly sometimes you just gotta see what people run when its a business and downtime is lost revenue...ya cant operate a business that waiting for parts...just saying.
That is exactly right. Business people have money invested and it is their right to do business and spend their money as they see fit.

It is also my right to spend my own money as I see fit.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
That is exactly right. Business people have money invested and it is their right to do business and spend their money as they see fit.

It is also my right to spend my own money as I see fit.
your are 1000 percent correct!

Old 05-28-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
It's about having a choice. If I am not running a cabin cruiser in the chuck I would prefer to have an Etec on the back of my boat. That's my choice and I am not bashing anyone who would think differently.
I am sure Honda Civics are great cars and soy smoothies are some peoples favorite drink. But you won't see me ever choosing to drive a Civic or partake of anything soy. That's just my choice.
I can’t argue the fact life is full of choices and what works for one person might not for the next. Unfortunately for you your list of outboards to choose from just got smaller because the Etec just wasn’t a money maker for BRP.