Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 AM

Default Fishing Spot marking methods

So I have to admit I'm a major creature of habit. I never like going to a new place/spot I have no experience. Especially on hard water.

I use GPS like most, but even GPS has around 5 meters of variation. I find it's usually half that, and sometimes bang on. In the ice I use my phone, the boat has the sonar marked spots.

Now there's not a lot of options, and GPS is hands down the best way of returning to a specific spot. I used to use landmarks and never seemed all that consistent unless it was close to something, like a shore point.

I guess my real question is how many of you try to get to the exact same spot time and time again? Or do some of you explore most of the time? Even if 'exploring' is just 10-50 feet away from the spot you had success with.

I'm only on my second year at hardwater, but I've fished steady my whole life. I always follow the "don't leave fish to find fish" adage, but I'm also always second guessing myself. I'm always tweaking my anchor spots a foot here and there.

I was wondering about a "spot swap" kinda thing, like a "fly-swap" where 2 anglers exchange a spot or 2 each. I'm like everyone and pretty tight lipped about my spots, but I'm also interested in trying new lakes and species. Perch for example, I haven't seen a perch for 20 years or so. Yet I've only really tried once in that long.

So who's like me and thinks their targets have to be either at the spot or will be close by, for as long as the conditions continue. I know about pike and walleye seasonal movements from books and videos. Yet there's always the times that contradict all that you "know" and keep fishing a mystery and challenge. I mean if fish were like Cows, angling wouldn't be all that fun for me. Tasty maybe, but not a challenge, lol.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:38 AM

I love the challenge of fishing new spots, new lakes, new structure, moving several times during the day, drilling a hundred holes. That's how I like to ice fish. So marking the exact spot not really important cause I'll drill a couple hundred yards of holes or a big grid to find what I'm looking for.

Get out there, try new things. It's fun and I'm rarely disappointed!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-26-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I love the challenge of fishing new spots, new lakes, new structure, moving several times during the day, drilling a hundred holes. That's how I like to ice fish. So marking the exact spot not really important cause I'll drill a couple hundred yards of holes or a big grid to find what I'm looking for.

Get out there, try new things. It's fun and I'm rarely disappointed!
If those dang fish didn't have those pesky fins, I'd be a lot better at catching them!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Banned

Default Here is the problem

You have to tell me your spots first . I don't think we have any
Idea how many lurkers we have on here . There can't be
Any spots left within a 2 hr . Drive of the 3-4 major centres .
There was a thread on here of google map fishing spots in
Alberta ,I never did look at it because I rarely go anywhere
Different . Like Brandon , mobility was always my rule of
Thumb . If we only drilled 200 holes it was a slow day .
We have had flashers back to the middle 70 s . Shield lakes
Are definitely a different deal than southern reservoirs .
I know in the USA , spot swap , on Facebook are a thing .

I found the secret map ....hope this works

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...+fishing+spots
Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 AM
Banned

Never had much fancy equipement like you young fellers. When I found a good spot on the lake I always put an X on the side of my boat to mark the spot.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 AM

I leave a rock on the ice. But some jerk always removes it by summer time....
Old 01-26-2016, 08:42 AM

Playdoh use a proper GPS and won't have any trouble replicating. I don't buy one so I just carry my fish finder head unit and a battery and use that to locate spots I marked in summer.

I like to try new spots but primarily cause I keep trying new spots. I will go back to the same spot if I knew a good producing spot but only know a couple of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
I leave a rock on the ice. But some jerk always removes it by summer time....
Don't leave rocks or branches to mark holes at your favourite spots... That is a clear giveaway it is a decent spot and of course any wise fisherman that knows the spot is going to remove it...
Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Playdoh use a proper GPS and won't have any trouble replicating. I don't buy one so I just carry my fish finder head unit and a battery and use that to locate spots I marked in summer.

I like to try new spots but primarily cause I keep trying new spots. I will go back to the same spot if I knew a good producing spot but only know a couple of those.

Don't leave rocks or branches to mark holes at your favourite spots... That is a clear giveaway it is a decent spot and of course any wise fisherman that knows the spot is going to remove it...
Rav, when you responded to Double-Eh did you hear something above your head? LOL
Old 01-26-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Rav, when you responded to Double-Eh did you hear something above your head? LOL
No, I knew he was talking about it melting but lots of people(potentially including him) do use rocks and branches to mark holes and it is a good way to give your spot away to the masses...

Same thing with leaving firewood etc.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks for ruining my fun Rav lol. I hoped the "removes it by summer time" might have suggested that I don't actually do this.

I agree with rocks, branches, firewood, etc but the reality is the times I've seen spots marked this way, they aren't super secret honey holes. Usually it's the best known spot on the lake.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, I knew he was talking about it melting but lots of people(potentially including him) do use rocks and branches to mark holes and it is a good way to give your spot away to the masses...

Same thing with leaving firewood etc.
To tell you the truth, the one thing I do look for when at a new lake while ice fishing is if there is any blood drops around any of the old holes. That is a sure sign that someone caught something, or is pretty clumsy.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
To tell you the truth, the one thing I do look for when at a new lake while ice fishing is if there is any blood drops around any of the old holes. That is a sure sign that someone caught something, or is pretty clumsy.
Lol ..... clumsy .......... one of the guys I fished with last week was "brushing off the auger blade" and the blade cut through hiss glove and into his hand. lol.

He was just throwing guys like you off the trail !!!! lol.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Playdoh use a proper GPS and won't have any trouble replicating. I don't buy one so I just carry my fish finder head unit and a battery and use that to locate spots...

Actually I used to have an expensive GPS and my ancient Etrex was more accurate at times.

You might be surprised at how accurate your phone and google maps are. Put it on satellite imagery and stand at a landmark. It's usually bang on.

I considered at Bluetooth antenna for my phone for $100 that gets you sub 2.5 meter but I don't think I really need it.

I guess I'm usually thinking about how little time there is to fish and want to make the most of every trip.

10% of the water holds 90% of the fish is the saying. I can't imagine drilling 100 holes, I get looks after I've drilled a dozen, lol. Not to mention it's gotta take an hour to drill and clear all those holes, no? I'd think they'd freeze up by the time you got to most.

Anyways I'm gonna push my comfort zone and try some new spots. I wish I had a flip-up shelter cause if it's cold enough roaming the lake drilling hole after hole isn't practical.

I think you guys should just give me some honey hole co-ordinates and save me the stress.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 AM

Etrex 20 stuck in the pocket of my marcum turned it into a combo unit!! I love it