Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Default Fishing Shushwap lake

Heading on a houseboat to the shushwap next week and wondering if anybody has any advice for catching either the rainbows, char or lakers from the houseboat. It does not have a down rigger and i am under the assumption i'll have to get to about 100ft of water to start catching them. Any advice would be great. I know the Apex lures work great but how to get them deep enough and what kind of trolling speeds should a guy be using?

PS also spoke to fish and game today and will be bringing my spear gun out for the week. Look out mister Pike Minnow!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 PM

I've had good success trolling a wooly bugger on my fly rod as close to shore as you can get. Most fish are under 18 inches but sometimes plentiful. If your using hardware I would recommend getting a couple of dipsy divers ( largest size) and use them to get deep. Spoons are good but large apex's have proven themselves better. You should have a stiff rod for the divers (a line counter reel is a big plus) and at least 20 lb. line. The speed we troll is somewhere from 1.8 to 2.4 MPH using a GPS. The house boats have a fish finder (Waterways) but no speed display. Have fun and I hope the fishing is good. Look for a website called reel fishing for some up to date reports on what colors are working. Rick.