Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
They replaced your sections for no charge at the warehouse off Blackfoot Trail?
It costed 35$ the second time, the first time it was 28$ before they raised the cost.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbyfaith View Post
It costed 35$ the second time, the first time it was 28$ before they raised the cost.
Then you received no warranty. Sportsman's Den in Red Deer had a few rod sections (tips for the 2 piece Signature Series) for the same price.

They simply allowed you to buy a part that probably cost the company less than $10 with the components used. No favors or warranty involved.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing TFO and do not want to argue with you. I am simply telling you that they are selling components (this is a good thing) not warranting faulty components. You paid full price and got only what you paid for.

I have three TFOs in the basement and strongly recommend them for beginners. They have a nice forgiving action and won't break your heart if you hit them with bead heads and streamers.

If you take your time and try several of the same rods you will find some are better than others by how the eyes are put on the blank. Every blank has a sweet spot where it flexes and if the eyes are wrapped properly it makes a world of difference.

I believe there are other options that should be investigated in this price range. Like I mentioned earlier, the components on the Redingtons are better quality and the rods are faster if you prefer that action. I also believe the Redingtons are put together with more care given to the flex of the blank.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default confused yet? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by -relk- View Post
I am new to fly fishing, and am thinking of picking up a setup for next year. I have been out a few times with a friends rod and liked it, so thought I would continue with it.

I am new to it, and have no idea where to start. What brands should I be looking at? Anyone have any recommendations for a newbie?

Budget is max 300 for both the rod and reel, but would prefer it ~$200.
Plenty of suggestions here and all are good.
The common denominator is TFO and I agree.
It's in your price range and the brand makes the top 10 best rods list w/ a lifetime warrenty.
The general rule of thumb for a beginner is a 6wt.
It will handle any situation and I use it for coho and steelhead too.
I bought my girlfriend a TFO combo to get started and even I luv it.
I personally don't use the drag system for anything more than stripping....I finger break my catches. As soon as the fish is on....I turn the drag off completely. So I'm sure the combo reel will last a long time.
The line I will use until it breaks. Then go to Rio brand.
The most important thing is that you like it enough to learn.
Your most important piece of the puzzle is getting good quality flies.
Check out the thread "highwood river" on here. Someone listed a very good assortment of flies to get.
And I gave you a few online sites to buy from earlier if you read it.
You'll know when your ready for a change in equipment and what brands.
A lot of sales are on now. It's yr end and the old stock has got to go...so check around.
Reddington is also good....it's a sister company by Sage
Good luck

Last edited by MtnGiant; 12-24-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Plenty of suggestions here and all are good.
The common denominator is TFO and I agree.
It's in your price range and the brand makes the top 10 best rods list w/ a lifetime warrenty.
The general rule of thumb for a beginner is a 6wt.
It will handle any situation and I use it for coho and steelhead too.
I bought my girlfriend a TFO combo to get started and even I luv it.
I personally don't use the drag system for anything more than stripping....I finger break my catches. As soon as the fish is on....I turn the drag off completely. So I'm sure the combo reel will last a long time.
The line I will use until it breaks. Then go to Rio brand.
The most important thing is that you like it enough to learn.
Your most important piece of the puzzle is getting good quality flies.
Check out the thread "highwood river" on here. Someone listed a very good assortment of flies to get.
And I gave you a few online sites to buy from earlier if you read it.
You'll know when your ready for a change in equipment and what brands.
A lot of sales are on now. It's yr end and the old stock has got to go...so check around.
Reddington is also good....it's a sister company by Sage
Good luck
I disagree with what was highlighted in bold. If you're learning to cast on your own, without lessons or help, you need a good quality line. Its one of those things that will frustrate beginners because they have trouble getting 10-15' of line out. A good quality line is crucial to learning on your own. Cannot stress that enough.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Banned

I must disagree with you disagreeing with me hahaha
Reason is this for me....I started learning 40 yrs ago and we all know how far back the technology was then compared to now. I learned then and got better as the technology got better and I noticed a lot. Point is this...if u start with less than the best and learn how to use it and are happy doing what ur doing.....then when u step into better products u will be far more impressed and happy with the progress and it's very exciting. Learn the techniques first and the better technology will follow when ur ready. My Dad always taught me not to get caught up in the technology....hone ur skills first. Remember that people used to fish with a stick and line. If u can cast that then casting a top of the line product will be another world all together.
A little over exaggerated, but the point is true.
Start low and end up high.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:20 AM

You're telling me that making it harder to cast for the average person for the first time is better in the long run? When im teaching people how to cast, they need to have the best chance at success to keep them interested. Casting that 10 dollar walmart special is not going to be easier to cast then a 40-70 dollar rio mainstream or gold line. Im not saying buy a 500 dollar new technology rod and reel for your first time, im saying dropping another 50-60 bucks on a line to cast on that 100 dollar TFO that will last you 3-5 years if you take good care of it is advantageous.

For people that want to try and try again until they succeed (which it seems like you were that kind of person) which is a good thing! You will learn with that walmart line eventually and you're probably a better fly fisherman because of it. But for the majority of people that take up fly fishing, they try it a couple of times by themselves, get frustrated with not being able to get more then 20' of line out and then give up. Then that 200 dollar tfo rod, reel, junk line beginner setup they bought just sits in the garage. This sounds counter intuitive with spending more money on a fly line thats more expensive and MIGHT sit in the garage forever if you still cant cast, but its a risk some beginners should be willing to take. A better line will shorten that learning curve.

If its a financial thing, to not be able to spend that 50-60 dollars on a fly line, you've picked the wrong fishing method.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Point taken 'bhflyfisher'....and I won't argue with your logic. It makes perfect sense to me. Maybe I'll bump my GF up on her fly line this season. Hope she appreciates it hahahaha. But I'll blame you if it doesn't work LOL...Just kidding friendo
Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Point taken 'bhflyfisher'....and I won't argue with your logic. It makes perfect sense to me. Maybe I'll bump my GF up on her fly line this season. Hope she appreciates it hahahaha. But I'll blame you if it doesn't work LOL...Just kidding friendo
I hope i didnt come off sounding rude. Its just something i've experienced myself and just want to involve more people in the sport.

Merry christmas!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I hope i didnt come off sounding rude. Its just something i've experienced myself and just want to involve more people in the sport.

Merry christmas!
I didn't take it as being rude at all.
I learned something new and that's a good thing.
I appreciate you informing me of a new way of teaching.
I was serious when I said I'll try it on my GF.
I would prefer her rod line to be Rio anyway... Then I'll like using it more hahaha
Merry Christmas to you as well
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Based on more than 60 years of fly fishing I will offer the newby my 2 cents worth of advice.
Before you spend a cent, do some research on the 'net, in some shops, ask friends and check some fishing forums regarding the tackle recommended for the kind of fishing you expect to do most often.
Buy a new, rather than used rod because it is hard to spot some flaws and damage. You can't really go wrong with the TFO's although the various models aren't created equal. I have 6 and use them in preference to several others that cost a lot more. My current favs are the TiCrX for saltwater and BVK for trout.
No need to spend more than $100 for a trout reel and here you can get a good used one with spare spool off the Buy-Sell forum, Kijiji or the grapevine as it is easy to tell if a reel is damaged. Try to get one with relatively large diameter spool ( 6, 7 or 8 wt size) even if you have to bulk up the line with extra backing or other filler. Small diameter reels may look neat but are a pain when a big trout runs off 50 yd of line and you have to wind it back.
Buy a new floating line in weight fwd configuration.
Learn to tie good knots and make your own leaders: paying several dollars for a leader is crazy when you can make your own with good mono for pennies. Buy flies with the money you saved.
...guess that is more than 2 cents worth but wth.... good luck.