Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM

Default Bow river flow change - Dam release

Heads up to everyone:

I have read that the flow in the Bow River will be increasing from 76cms to 120cms over the next few days due to dam releases.

Having never experienced flow changes like this on the bow river before, what can I expect if I go out fishing in the next couple days? I was hoping to have some evenings on the water this week and just heard this news.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 PM

Depends on how fast they do it and how much other runoff enters the system, but generally it'll color the water pretty good and shut down any hatches. Fish the current breaks and banks with streamers and keep your expectations in check, any outing with a fish to hand is a good one this time of year.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Fish the current breaks and banks with streamers and keep your expectations in check, any outing with a fish to hand is a good one this time of year.
Thanks, I'm guessing nymphing the same water would be a good option too. It's too bad because I just had an extremely good evening fishing a few days ago and was hoping to get back to the spot and fish it the same. Now that option may be gone and I'll have to work for it again
Old 05-11-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.wright1 View Post
Heads up to everyone:

I have read that the flow in the Bow River will be increasing from 76cms to 120cms over the next few days due to dam releases.

Having never experienced flow changes like this on the bow river before, what can I expect if I go out fishing in the next couple days? I was hoping to have some evenings on the water this week and just heard this news.
120cms is just on the high-end of normal for this time of year.

Take note, the flows will increase, but this is the clean, cold, pre-runoff water from Ghost Reservoir. Any murky or dirtiness will be from cleaning the 2 years of accumulated crap on the banks. It is unlikely to affect fishing significantly. In fact, I would hazard it to be more probable to improve fishing than negatively impact it.

This is great news. It is a boon for foot anglers. Fish will move to the banks. During 'flood mitigation' last year, I would argue we had some of the best dry fly fishing of the year.

Just be extra careful when you wade, and for the love of jeebus, make sure you first thoroughly fish all the water you want to wade through. Starting from now until about mid-September, I see so many people wading where they should be fishing.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Just be extra careful when you wade, and for the love of jeebus, make sure you first thoroughly fish all the water you want to wade through. Starting from now until about mid-September, I see so many people wading where they should be fishing.
Great, I'm more excited about getting out now.

Funny thing about the wading comment, my first fish on the fly was last spring on the bow when I caught a brown trout just a couple feet from where I was standing near the bank. I'm lucky I didn't spook him getting in the water there! Also pretty lucky in general considering my line management​ was very poor and I only had a few hours experience haha
Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 PM

Well here's a follow up!

The river has definitely changed and my old spot was not producing at all so I probed the banks in fish Creek Park. Started off nymphing and caught a small rainbow in some shallow water behind a bank. I wasn't having much more luck so I tried streamers for a while with no success. Switched back to nymphing and right at the end of the night I hooked a very nice brown trout. It had me running downstream and I had to scramble over a beaver dam in the process​. Definitely my biggest and first brown of the year so far, it was a great evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170512_213719_256.jpg (31.0 KB, 111 views)
Old 05-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.wright1 View Post
Well here's a follow up!

The river has definitely changed and my old spot was not producing at all so I probed the banks in fish Creek Park. Started off nymphing and caught a small rainbow in some shallow water behind a bank. I wasn't having much more luck so I tried streamers for a while with no success. Switched back to nymphing and right at the end of the night I hooked a very nice brown trout. It had me running downstream and I had to scramble over a beaver dam in the process​. Definitely my biggest and first brown of the year so far, it was a great evening.
Woo! I know it is only 2 fish, but the Bow can change so much as the water level changes it is like fishing a completely different river. I do not know about you, but when I hit the Bow, more than anything else, I hope that I catch a big brown trout. Huzzah.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:33 AM

Thats really not a lot...400cm/s is when it gets high and fast...Ive floated the Bow in Calgary ay 500cm/s and that when warnings are out about staying off the river...low laying areas/pathways are flooded at this stage...
Old 05-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotChili View Post
Thats really not a lot...400cm/s is when it gets high and fast...Ive floated the Bow in Calgary ay 500cm/s and that when warnings are out about staying off the river...low laying areas/pathways are flooded at this stage...
I know this, but to someone who has been fishing the Bow for just one year, relatively, the river is high and fast. I do not think that it has been this high in almost 2 years. Maybe last year during 'flood mitigation'.

That being said, I hope we get a solid 250-300 cms for 2 solid weeks to clear all the crap off banks and give the riverbed a good scrub. And maybe, just maybe, give us a proper stonefly season.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I know this, but to someone who has been fishing the Bow for just one year, relatively, the river is high and fast. I do not think that it has been this high in almost 2 years. Maybe last year during 'flood mitigation'.

That being said, I hope we get a solid 250-300 cms for 2 solid weeks to clear all the crap off banks and give the riverbed a good scrub. And maybe, just maybe, give us a proper stonefly season.
And mayber a few weeks of that might blow the rock snot off....wishful thinking i know...