Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 AM

Default Tay river fished out?

Over the last 2 years we have fished the taye multiple times with no luck. 3 years ago there were a ton of active fish. Any ideas as to what happened? Winterkill? Or just pressure and I'm not as good as I think I am?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM

was there two weeks ago. Water level was slightly high but definitely in fishable condition.

Not even a bite on my end either. Although I'm a mediocre fisherman so it could've been that as well. Didn't see any fish rising at all though
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Tay

Yeah I walked miles and miles of that river last spring, awesome looking pools, totally void of fish though?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:08 PM

Two years ago I stopped by in the autumn and fished for 15 mins along the highway. Caught two on nymphs right away then left. It was basically a pee break with a couple fish involved haha. I think it is fished out but there are still some left, just not many. Having said that, the brookies being fished out isn't a big problem since they're invasive and harm the bull trout population.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:49 PM

my wife and I have fished there every summer for the past 5 years. we probably catch 5-8 6inchand smaller brookies an hour while there. usually catch the most right in the campground. really, its nothing to shake a stick at as far as the fish go...in reality we are just catching fingerlings at best. but its definitely not "fished out". sure is fun catching those little fellas on the dry flies though....especially when we use large adams that the little guys cant even fit in their mouths. you can tease them for hours and have a blast not even landing any! hahaha is that cruel? lol
Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 PM

My family has a cabin on the Tay for the last 57 yrs An it's not fished out.ive caught some pretty nice fish outa there over the yrs.should see what my grandparents,dad and aunt used to catch back in the day!!they seem to get smaller as the yrs go by though.i do see quite a few people keeping small trout heading back to campsite.hope there's still some left when my boys are old enough to go out on their own.actually named my youngest son after it.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 AM

The area near the campsite sees heavy fishing pressure. Just hike upstream a few miles and you will find fish. The largest stream brookie I ever caught was on the Tay. I will never forget how he slammed a caddis pattern.