Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Default Great time to be a shooter

Isnt it a great time to be a shooter? I think so. The technology in metalurgy and engineering that goes into our rifles is incredible. Its now fairly common to get rifles that shoot better than 1" at 100 yrds. Many are reasonably priced and you dont have to buy something that is "top of the line" to get exception accuracy and depenability.

Ergonomics have really improved in my life time as well. So many differnt types of stocks now, with chassis, or adjustable combs and lengths of pull available in factory guns. This is a big change from the days when your choice was wood or tupperware.

Many manufacturers have user adjustable triggers that break under 2lbs.

Ammo selection is crazy now with more choices then you can shake a stick at. Reloading gear has made it possible to shoot like a pro for a reasonable cost.

All in all its a great time to be a firearms enthusisast.

Youre thoughts?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM

I like the old stuff.
Steel and wood vs. Plastic and plastic.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
I like the old stuff.
Steel and wood vs. Plastic and plastic.
Unfortunately (for my bank account) I like 'em all.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:45 PM

I think, when looking at how Weatherby changed their entire company, by offering a entry level cost rifle (Vanguard2), and advertised a sub-moa guarantee, with cartridges other than Weatherby cartridges, they were appealing to the masses of us who wanted a second or third rifle, didn't want to break the bank, but could be assured it was not a cheap piece of junk. Brilliant move.

15-20 years ago, Weatherby's were so expensive compared to other rifles, only came in Weatherby Cartridges, and they limited their customers to only those who could afford to buy them and buy the expensive ammo.

It was the best thing they could have done for their company.

It was also the best thing to happen to us (the consumers).

Many other rifle manufacturers have followed suit.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:08 PM

Times have changed since i was 14 and started hunting with a 303 british- with no rifling. Being left handed is still a handi cap. I would like to put bell and carlson stocks on a few of my left handed tikkas, cant get them.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:36 PM

Any time is a great time to be a shooter!!!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 PM

I'm tempted to buy a gun I don't need to put a Boyd's "At One" stock on. Maybe a varmint calibre, but I don't need it, just want one. Trying to cut down on my wants!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM

I need another safe and a good way to hide rifles from the wife. She counted em a couple months ago, I said some aren't mine...

I've been good for A year or 2 though, except for that new CZ ss 22 that just came out. One of them ended up here somehow

I'm having fun shooting lots of rimfire with the kids last year or so, they can empty the 10/22 faster than I can load em. This time of year is bad as its cold and dark.
Plans to build a little insulated blind on skids that I can drag with the quad, that I can hunt out of and use to shoot in the winter.

Last edited by TUFFBUFF; 11-08-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Except the cost of components has sky rocketed in the last 5 years, higher than the CAD exchange rate and inflation can account for. I haven't been shooting as much as I usually do the last two years.