Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-25-2021, 10:49 AM

National parks had almost no wolves and lots of caribou. Now almost All gone. No logging, no oil, no roads, no hunters. The park wardens allowed wolves to come back in 60's to make canola crunchers and biologists in Canmore happy!
PS Now blaming the cross country skiers for demise of park caribou.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbug View Post
So wipe out one species to save another. This doesnt make sense to me.If the caribou are meant to survive they will.Besides the government has to cover up the total waste of time and money they have blown trying to save the caribou.
Here in some regions of BC the plan to save caribou (from the provincial biologists) is to reduce moose numbers so low that the wolves starve...then there will be less of them to eat caribou. Bet that's gonna go well.

I thought they only ate mice.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
National parks had almost no wolves and lots of caribou. Now almost All gone. No logging, no oil, no roads, no hunters. The park wardens allowed wolves to come back in 60's to make canola crunchers and biologists in Canmore happy!
Now Jasper National Park is funding a $25 million 'captive caribou breeding program' to provide a steady, annual stream of wolf food.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:58 AM

In Alberta too brewster, a biologist at a caribou conservation meeting explained it to me like this " if you lived in an area where they closed the grocery store eventually you'd move to an area with food (a grocery store). That was when the moose tag numbers were way up in some areas. She also explained how they would reclaim slash lines and cutlines by strategically laying logs/trees on them. I suggested that would keep off roaders out but I didn't think it would deter the wolves. All I said was wolves will always be on the landscape, caribou I'm not so sure. I left the meeting thinking that there was a lot of pressure on bios from the then NDP Government.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I'm not surprised!

That, and a large chunk of one of the Jasper herds was knocked out by an avalanche.

I spoke with a park employee a while back, and they commented that the herd there was somewhat inbred, and, um, not that smart...
Old 05-18-2021, 10:05 AM

Was in the porkies last weekend and had seen tons of wolf tracks. also reports of other guys seeing them too.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:05 AM

Default wolf

Dugh, agree few logs across cutline will not even slow a wolf down. Couple years back two wolves ran a deer through heavy timber right past me. The deer was going 30 mph and wolves as well jumping downed trees like gazzels. The idea that no cutlines will slow wolf preditation is horse pukky.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:51 PM

They took out the wolfs down the ANC road with helicopters and poison . And last winter they logged out more trees in that area. It feels like a different area now . You can spot caribou any where you go in a truck now . Seen a lot of grizzlies. No more wolfs ravens or any birds . Its so flat with rolling hills. Some day the government will make even more money by selling it for farm land .
Old 09-30-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper to do away with the caribou..???...
Lolololol
Old 09-30-2021, 12:13 PM

Ravens are a big problem, population has exploded recently and they’re a smart and long lived bird. If a couple or three wolves take a moose they get one belly full and the rest feeds a hundred ravens.
Was tracking a big bull one snowy November day when 2 wolves cut his track. They had him down 200 yards past his bed.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestCop View Post
Along the Eastern Slopes from Hinton to Grande Prairie the GOA has been shooting wolves for over 10 years with some years being well over 100 wolves shot they think the tally stands around 1500 total; in addition to this the have had an active poisioning program for almost the same many years but apparently not this 2020-2021 year. If you want to be further disgusted about the poisioning program talk to locals from the communities and native settlements and you will find out there are many stories (to many to count) that the poisioning program starts with shooting a moose or elk and leaving it laced with strychnine; the locals have walked around these areas and find many other animals dead such as eagles, ravens owls, fox, coyote and bears. When presented with the evidence they are usually written off by the GOA expert biologists with a vague statement that they are aware that at times there are unfortunately incidental deaths to other wildlife. It's kind of curious to locals as well that when you figure out there have been maybe 1500 killed by helicopter (locals call them air wolf) plus poisioning where have all these animals come from as the packs have no ability for growth it is at least very curious.
Just start googling items like dead wolves Grande Cache or Alberta wolf cull.
Explains why we never seen any crows or ravens last year ! Not even one wolf track . Good job guys !
Old 09-30-2021, 09:27 PM

Well, not sure about the rest of the province but I’ve seen a ton of wolves and shot 3 while hunting the last 10 months north of Fort McMurray. There is literally not a place you could go up here where you won’t see a wolf track in short order.

We managed to get a young bull moose last Saturday and by the next day the carcass was largely eaten and while we were standing over it we could hear wolves howling not far off in the distance.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Well, not sure about the rest of the province but I’ve seen a ton of wolves and shot 3 while hunting the last 10 months north of Fort McMurray. There is literally not a place you could go up here where you won’t see a wolf track in short order.

We managed to get a young bull moose last Saturday and by the next day the carcass was largely eaten and while we were standing over it we could hear wolves howling not far off in the distance.
And the only reason the wolves were still at a distance is becuz a grizz was zeroing in on you. ..