Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Are you happy you chose to ship dave? I am.
Yup, it was a good decision to ship everything to FHA.

I had outstanding grades but my average was lower than the auction average because my yotes are mainly dark, C’s and D’s. The few A’s and B’s that I had sold for a premium in comparison. I’ll bet that Southern Trappers are laughing all the way to the bank with their pale yotes.

I came in lower than the auction average on my beaver as well. Twenty of 28 sold. No interest in my 8 Large DGD ones. I had one 3x SELECT HVY BRN go for US$36 so that was nice.

I have a good feeling about the rest of my fur in the July auction.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:55 PM
Banned

Does anyone else have any “Ungraded Tags” at the bottom of their online account?

It doesn’t specify species but I know that I have two coyotes listed as that. I’m thinking that they may have been pelts offered as samples......maybe?
Old 04-20-2021, 09:37 PM

Had a conversation with agent from FH and was told they are selling castor to their buyers for $150/lb.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:50 AM

Jawa, may be a explanation, FHA only had 1-1/2 pages of 'heavy' lots but 6 pages of 'semi' in April sale. Maybe it is climate change, marten no longer growing heavy under fur/guard hair coats because of warm winters??
Old 04-21-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Jawa, may be a explanation, FHA only had 1-1/2 pages of 'heavy' lots but 6 pages of 'semi' in April sale. Maybe it is climate change, marten no longer growing heavy under fur/guard hair coats because of warm winters??
Can’t be we pay taxes so climate change doesn’t happen.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Maybe for this year Mine were from last year Most likely was poor market and they were trying too move as much product as possible being smaller producers and our put up is not exactly what they want they automatically down graded no matter the quality of fur. Less of an overall loss ****ing off ten guys that send in twenty martin each than one guy that sends in a couple hundred. Will probly sell the ones from this year privately
Old 04-21-2021, 08:53 PM

Well my $1.80 USD squirrel is something I will remember for a long time. Apparently COVID has inflated the fly tying industry
Old 04-22-2021, 10:22 AM

Default Fha

Well April sale results now out\\; Beaver $16US,Mink $5.70,Sable $35-59 heavy, Semi $33-$55,Lynx $67,muskrat $5, Red Fox $17,Coyote $98 Western, Fisher $16.
All averages in US$, Better than last year but not great.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:10 PM
Banned

https://www.furharvesters.com/result...il/apr21us.pdf
Old 04-22-2021, 10:25 PM
AO Sponsor

So Dave, with your Morrinville coyotes being a little on the dark side, what did your section 1 average come to?

I like talking section 1 averages so we can talk apples to apples.

I never did go look to see what the low end/damaged coyotes were going for.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:16 AM

It’s too bad we can’t see all the lot prices from the catalog. Maybe there is a way to request, but NAFA sales had the ability to show each lot based on sold price.
There can be a very wide spectrum of prices from the “average” of the summary report. I’m assuming it can be requested from Fur harvesters, but would be nice to simply have posted on their site.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:39 AM
Banned

EDIT....wrt coyotes.

The catalogue shows the sold prices by lot and GD, AVG, POOR for II.

As far as I can tell, A = Pale, B = MED, and it gets darker from there with C & D.

The numbers 1 to 4 indicates the colour and clarity of the belly from white to tawny and lower.

Last year was the first time that I shipped to FHA so i’m Just figuring this stuff out.

This auction A - Pale were in favour down to D - the darker ones. In other words, a premium for the paler pelts......with nicer bellies of course.

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-23-2021 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
So Dave, with your Morrinville coyotes being a little on the dark side, what did your section 1 average come to?

I like talking section 1 averages so we can talk apples to apples.

I never did go look to see what the low end/damaged coyotes were going for.
I didn’t make the auction average but more than selling privately. Probably not a lot but I figure $500 maybe. If I had the lighter coloured yotes that the buyers were looking for, and with about 30% I - II or better grades, I would have blown the auction average out of the water. Only one DGD made it through the shed accidentally, I was going to trash it, but it brought US$29 in

This pretty much sums it up in my account:

SELECT HVY C 1 - 4 = $112
II (AVG) HVY B 1 - 4 = $120

I can’t do anything about my dark coloured yotes (bleach maybe) but the Trappers that shipped their light coloured yotes that they trap made out like bandits. Hopefully they’ll be looking for dark pelts in July.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
It’s too bad we can’t see all the lot prices from the catalog. Maybe there is a way to request, but NAFA sales had the ability to show each lot based on sold price.
There can be a very wide spectrum of prices from the “average” of the summary report. I’m assuming it can be requested from Fur harvesters, but would be nice to simply have posted on their site.

The sold catalog is on the FHA website. Takes a little scrolling but can see any lot that sold.

https://www.furharvesters.com/catalo...R_CAT_SOLD.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Does anyone else have any “Ungraded Tags” at the bottom of their online account?
So, these two coyote pelts have moved to the bottom of my sold coyote pelts and are listed as:

“999999......Tag Graded but not Catalogued as Yet!!!....0....2....Unsold to be re-offered”

Am I the only lucky Trapper on here to have this happen?
Old 04-26-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I didn’t make the auction average but more than selling privately. Probably not a lot but I figure $500 maybe. If I had the lighter coloured yotes that the buyers were looking for, and with about 30% I - II or better grades, I would have blown the auction average out of the water. Only one DGD made it through the shed accidentally, I was going to trash it, but it brought US$29 in

I can’t do anything about my dark coloured yotes (bleach maybe) but the Trappers that shipped their light coloured yotes that they trap made out like bandits. Hopefully they’ll be looking for dark pelts in July.
Good for you for sending to the auction..Could have sold to the traveling Willberrys for pennies on the dollar.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
So, these two coyote pelts have moved to the bottom of my sold coyote pelts and are listed as:

“999999......Tag Graded but not Catalogued as Yet!!!....0....2....Unsold to be re-offered”

Am I the only lucky Trapper on here to have this happen?

It will be on the next sale. Means they graded it but did not offer it for sale. Could be because they did not have enough of that grade to make a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2021, 10:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Davey, if they just like the pale A colours and hate your Edmonton B and C colours, how come the supposed top lot was a B colour lot of kiyutes and not the super duper pale pretties from the far south in lots 001 and 002???

Seems to me that the buyers that bought most all the Edmonton area kiyutes this year kinda did liked them??? 'cept maybe the one guy... hmmm
Old 04-27-2021, 10:27 PM
AO Sponsor

And how come that Nube guy runned off??? Did you scare him away Dave? I just dont see him round here no more
Old 04-27-2021, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Davey, if they just like the pale A colours and hate your Edmonton B and C colours, how come the supposed top lot was a B colour lot of kiyutes and not the super duper pale pretties from the far south in lots 001 and 002???

Seems to me that the buyers that bought most all the Edmonton area kiyutes this year kinda did liked them??? 'cept maybe the one guy... hmmm
It's very easy to see the price difference in the catalogue between the different colours A to D. As I said, preference at the auction was for the lighter coloured A and B pelts. Prices were significantly lower for darker C and D pelts which the vast majority of mine were.

Here are what the colour codes represent:

A = Extra Pale
B = Pale
C = Yellowish Cast
D = Tawney

Quote:
If I had the lighter coloured yotes that the buyers were looking for, and with about 30% I - II or better grades, I would have blown the auction average out of the water.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:42 AM
AO Sponsor

You not answer question Davey, but I still think we need to get you a cape! In the right color, it will compliment your BDUs nicely

Quote:
If I had the lighter coloured yotes that the buyers were looking for, and with about 30% I - II or better grades, I would have blown the auction average out of the water.
I know guys that had the lighter colored kiyutes in the sale, and tho they did well, it wasn't a blow out runaway. FHA seem to be sorting the colors harder than NAFA did by the looks of things, mind you NAFA had gotten away from the traditional color scheme with their AB and CD funny business. In the olden days, us guys with the "lighter colored kiyutes" never had stuff in the C color section, but these days we do... Kudos for accuracy!

But most certainly anybody looking at the catalogue isn''t going to be excited by the D prices of the day.

One more teeny wittle thingy Davey? In your average that you continue to hide, how much did the fees drop you down by?... you know, the 11% commission, the 1.22 rate of exchange loss of 3% and the drumming fees... after fees/etc what did you average?

Anyways, when all's said and done, this sale is very encouraging to see, the prices are up from where they landed in August.

For those interested in the context of the sale/current market landscape, do note, this was a small collection of goods, was said by some knowledgeable folks who I believe can add that there were only 8,000 western heavy coyotes at this sale (???) 11,000 westerns total yes, but that included some semi heavy goods which were even more scarce than the heavies. In addition, much of the coyotes bought in the country have not found their furever homes yet, so once those goods hit the customers it is likely that some/many/most will fill up with goods and potentially be satisfied til next season??? We are living in the Cor-o-no-vi-rus world these days and that has had a very negative impact on our coyote sales, the Italians are still sitting under "permanent" lockdown with no business whch is the most detrimental factor in our industry's lower coyote prices this season.

The next sale will be most interesting, hopefully the lockdowns end and it is a physical sale? That remains to be seen, but regardless the bulk of the coyotes harvested from this season will/should be in the hands of the end users. If they need more skins, they may return hungry, if they have enough or more than they need then the market could stagnate.

Kudos to FHA on their online auction format! Getting better all the time, photos plus video of the real Super-Davey in action as his skilled fur snapping hands work thru the skins. Would be nice to see video of all the samples like in the boring hide out stuff and beaver etc but undoubtably an insurmountable task with the limited time window.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
And how come that Nube guy runned off??? Did you scare him away Dave? I just dont see him round here no more
Likely hiding in shame lots of convicted poachers do that
Old 04-30-2021, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
For those interested in the context of the sale/current market landscape, do note, this was a small collection of goods, was said by some knowledgeable folks who I believe can add that there were only 8,000 western heavy coyotes at this sale (???) 11,000 westerns total yes, but that included some semi heavy goods which were even more scarce than the heavies.

The next sale will be most interesting, hopefully the lockdowns end and it is a physical sale? That remains to be seen, but regardless the bulk of the coyotes harvested from this season will/should be in the hands of the end users. If they need more skins, they may return hungry, if they have enough or more than they need then the market could stagnate.
Close but no cigar. You don't have to know anyone special to know how many Western Heavies were in the auction, it's right in the catalogue.
Out of 31,307 coyotes there were 13,228 Heavy Westerns.

So, I guess what you're saying is that buyers will either buy your pelts at the next auction or they won't. Way to go out on a limb there, Dude.

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-30-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 AM
AO Sponsor

I added the first few pages for fun, looks like lots more than 8,000 made western heavy catalogue, I wonder how many were actual western heavies? if they all werent and if so, if anybody down the line actually cares? I've been told of one guy that would, huge collector of coyotes, but with everything trim maybe nobody else does???

Like the beaver these days, next to ziltch westerns even tho lotsa westerns shipped, but everything called eastern, rats too.

Im not comprehending your second statement... can you please clarify for the slow minded? Most of my stuff is sold, but still have a bunch to stretch. Anybody wanna come down for a kiyute fleshing mass gathering party??? BYOB... as in bring your own beam!
Old 05-02-2021, 07:41 PM

Default Low end coyotes

What surprised me the most on the last FHA sale was the demand for the low end coyotes including damaged. I had some pretty tired looking pelts still sell in the $30 to $50 US range. Yes the pales are finally getting the respect they deserve, but kind of quirky that the B's often sold higher than A's.... I wonder if the trimmers want more character/contrast that may be in B's versus straight pale A's? They mysteries of the fur market never cease.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:06 AM
AO Sponsor

Whattdyya think??? should I send the burn pile in???

Or have another kiyute fire????

Who enjoyed the last kiyute fire pics???

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=378922

Last edited by Marty S; 05-03-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:17 AM
AO Sponsor

I dare say.... this gem of a photo of ZERO VAULE KIYUTES, may not have ever been posted before??? Did I post it or not?
Old 05-18-2021, 07:35 PM

Well after the dust settled the truth is in how much the cheque is written for. Then I can tell how I averaged on the sale and I will tell you now that I did better from the buyer than I did from the FHA sale.
Apples to apples and did not have to wait 5 months for my money. Still going to ship some next year with FHA but if the prices offered this year from the buyer stay strong then we will be selling the majority that way.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:12 AM

Default Thanks auction coyote

Who did you sell too Thunder Elk Hunter?
Old 05-20-2021, 08:17 AM

I sold both to a fur buyer and FHA.

I was 1 dollar off of auction average and the difference in the cheque from the buyer and FHA turned out to be a magical less than 1% in the auctions favour. But being 5 months later and having to wait is a nuisance. I don't put all my eggs in one basket and so therefore I will continue doing business with both and to support choice. To each their own, I hope the best for the market for all of us...

My brother told me to convince Kim Kardashian to sport some beaver felt panties so we can see a rise in prices on the beautiful beaver!