Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Bears Out around Whitecourt?

Wondering if anyone has seen any blackies out yet around Whitecourt area ?
Old 04-27-2021, 12:50 PM

Heard of a few small ones. Few big ones out, no real green gas yet.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:50 PM

May 8 always seems to be a lucky day for me.

Grizz
Old 04-27-2021, 06:07 PM

Yes they are and the grizz have been out wondering for close to a month now
Old 04-27-2021, 06:25 PM

We're out right now, spot and stalk. Very little green yet, haven't seen a track yet. Seems like we're early, but got to use up holiday time so bear camp is better than the couch!
Old 04-28-2021, 06:46 AM

Yeah my company is making us take mandatory days off, as it's slow AF... So I figure why not head out for a couple days and try my luck... Never know!!!
Old 04-28-2021, 07:43 AM

If you are out spot and stalk hunting and there is not much green around, the Bears will be out but sticking close to their den sites. Find running water, river valleys, Beaver Dams etc. Bears need enough green plant material to get rid of the plug and water with sun is the first place green shows up. Move VERY slowly into the wind, bears are really hard to sneak up on in the bush.

You won't see bears out feeding on pipelines and oil roads until there is new green plants for them to eat. You need to go in looking for them, which is great fun but a lot more challenging way to hunt them. Best of luck, it is a great time to be out in the bush.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you are out spot and stalk hunting and there is not much green around, the Bears will be out but sticking close to their den sites. Find running water, river valleys, Beaver Dams etc. Bears need enough green plant material to get rid of the plug and water with sun is the first place green shows up. Move VERY slowly into the wind, bears are really hard to sneak up on in the bush.

You won't see bears out feeding on pipelines and oil roads until there is new green plants for them to eat. You need to go in looking for them, which is great fun but a lot more challenging way to hunt them. Best of luck, it is a great time to be out in the bush.
Really great reply,

Yeah I guess it might turn more into a shed hunting trip probably lol...
Old 04-29-2021, 09:17 AM

Default bears

Went for a walk down an old trail yesterday, did not see any signs of Blackie but did see a Grizz track in the dust.
Very dry here, it is greening up on the south facing slopes and we did/are getting a little precip so good luck bear boys
Old 04-29-2021, 09:31 AM

This spring seems to be late in green up. Most days have been quite cold, very limited green grass in horse pasture compared to to most years. Highway #16 area west of Edmonton.
When out to cabin to cut some wood about 2 weeks ago still had 2 feet of snow west of Whitecourt in high country.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:16 PM

Default Dean2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
Really great reply,

Yeah I guess it might turn more into a shed hunting trip probably lol...
If Dean2 is talking bears, I quit what I'm doing and take notes. I know lots of guys with experience, but none like Dean.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:46 PM

2 days and 900 KM on every back road from Virginia hills to blue ridge ,
saw 1 grizz on Virginia hill Rd yesterday and 1 grizz on Chickadee this morning on the powerline .
Seen over 80 grouse and a few dozen deer . not much snow to speak of .
Not A black but drove alot and not much time on foot .
Old 05-01-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
2 days and 900 KM on every back road from Virginia hills to blue ridge ,
saw 1 grizz on Virginia hill Rd yesterday and 1 grizz on Chickadee this morning on the powerline .
Seen over 80 grouse and a few dozen deer . not much snow to speak of .
Not A black but drove alot and not much time on foot .
Sounds like fun but u are basically sight seeing not hunting. like I said earlier, if u want to actually find a bear u are going to need to go in and find one. They are out , just not moving where u can see them as there is no new green plants yet. The Grizz are looking for Carrion, new borns or Black Bears, which is why you are seeing them. .
Old 05-02-2021, 05:28 AM

Spot & Stalk black bear hunting doesn’t get decent till there is some green grass poking out of the dead brown grass from last year. For spot & stalk I personally would not put in much effort till after the first week of May. The last week of May first week of June when boars are cruzing looking for sows is my favorite

But if you just want to get out for a day you could get lucky just don’t go with high expectations
Old 05-02-2021, 07:11 PM

Things are greening a little with the moisture over the last few days and some sun. Been walking 10-12 km a day. Saw one fresh pile of crap today just off a creek bank. Been eating old bog cranberries. The centre of the pipelines are hotter than the surrounding areas and are where the green is coming up. Have had a great week so far. The next week might see a little more activity.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Things are greening a little with the moisture over the last few days and some sun. Been walking 10-12 km a day. Saw one fresh pile of crap today just off a creek bank. Been eating old bog cranberries. The centre of the pipelines are hotter than the surrounding areas and are where the green is coming up. Have had a great week so far. The next week might see a little more activity.
Try walking 1/2 to 2 klms up that same river bank in 12 hours and you will be way more likely to find a bear than covering 12. You need to move very slow and very quiet if u want to find Mr Black in the bush. .
Old 05-02-2021, 07:51 PM

drove alot and not much time on foot .

There's your problem.

Grizz
Old 05-03-2021, 07:03 AM

Yep no bears lol. Saw a group of bear hunters pulling in when I was heading home from the cabin though, good luck boys!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32 AM

I used to guide for black bears in the spring for an Alberta outfitter way back in the late 70's and early 80's before baiting was legal so everything was spot and stock, we never went out before May 7 or 8 as things were just not green enough.

Tail end of may and into June was hot once the romance started kicking in, boars cruising looking for hot sows.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

There's your problem.

Grizz
Its hard to scout 900 KM on foot , scouting areas for new and old growth ,Covering ground was the mission .
Long trip from Calgary to Swan hills to walk 5k looking for a bear .
Old 05-03-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Its hard to scout 900 KM on foot , scouting areas for new and old growth ,Covering ground was the mission .
Long trip from Calgary to Swan hills to walk 5k looking for a bear .
I personally believe hunting bears on foot is a waste of time. I’m sure guys have success with it and are probably better bear hunters than me. But I am usually accompanied by first time/young hunters and nothing beats when things are green and you can bomb around observing many bears to take your pick. We’re almost there. Another few days and things will be happening
Old 05-03-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

There's your problem.

Grizz
In the mountains maybe, but not in the Peace. The only year I didn't kill a bear is the year I chose to walk more than drive. The more km, the more sightings. It's just too early, not green enough yet.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:46 PM

Is it safe to say the early melt in April is playing tricks on the timing train of thought? My dad always said they don't come out until there is something to eat.

Not a bear hunter(yet)as I have dads beauty rug so dumb question, on a real early spring like this year, do the bears stay in the dens till normal time to get out or are they forced out by the warm temps?
Old 05-03-2021, 03:16 PM

The first of April is long gone. There are Black Bears out. I’ve seen them. While on foot.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-04-2021, 07:22 PM

I still think it's to do with photoperiodism. Seems like majority are up by May 6th and gone by Oct 6th consistently every year, even with this earlier spring doesn't seem any different. Yea a few stragglers b/a those dates, usually dumb young ones I find.
Anyone else heard that it's more to do with light per day than weather/green? Let me know I'm curious
Old 05-06-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly303 View Post
I still think it's to do with photoperiodism. Seems like majority are up by May 6th and gone by Oct 6th consistently every year, even with this earlier spring doesn't seem any different. Yea a few stragglers b/a those dates, usually dumb young ones I find.
Anyone else heard that it's more to do with light per day than weather/green? Let me know I'm curious

I have heard it but it ain't actually true. I am sure it plays a role, but it isn't the determining factor. If it was you wouldn't see Black Bears out in January, Feb and March in low snow years and you wouldn't have bears denned up the end of Sept in heavy, early snow years and still out in November in drier years.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:24 PM

How are the roads up in the Whitecourt area lately? Did they get the massive dump of snow that Edmonton got?
Old 05-19-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
How are the roads up in the Whitecourt area lately? Did they get the massive dump of snow that Edmonton got?
I was around there yesterday...pouring rain.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
I was around there yesterday...pouring rain.
Thank you
Old 05-19-2021, 02:53 PM

They are out around Fox Creek. I Saw a couple and spoke to a few operators who said they have been seeing lots out.

Me and my little guy did an overnighter and tagged out on one.