Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Default la biche river

Anyone float the la Biche river in the past couple years?

Thinking of starting at the bridge going north to wandering river and floating to the Athabasca, or at least where it gets too quick.

Thinking of a canoe with small electric motor to get back up.

fishing?

Thanks guys
Old 05-04-2021, 05:21 AM

Full disclosure, I dont have any experience on the La Biche river. I do have lots of experience canoe hunting though, and I dont think your strategy is a good one. I tryed that sort of thing on a similar river once, and it was a bad idea. Cruised down stream for about 6 hours, fought like hell for 4 days to get a moose laden canoe back up river.

Either do a stretch from access to access, or go upriver and come back down on the return trip, hopefully with some meat.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:15 AM

Never boated the LaBiche River either but have done a lot of boat, jet boat, and canoe trips on other Rivers. Bushleague is spot on, even with a Jet Boat, running up River with a Moose on Board is a lot of work, we sank a 20' jet on the Firebag because we couldn't get on plane properly running up river loaded with three of us and a moose. We ended up needing to Chopper in parts to repair the Jet Tunnel to get it out of there. With a canoe the battery isn't going to last long. You will be paddling back up river, and even empty that is a ton of work, with a Moose on board, I don't see it working.

Have you ever actually tried to paddle up river very far in a canoe? I did it when I was young, it is a LOT of work. Float point to point going down river or run up, hunt, float back.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-04-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:36 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

Im planning on having a electric trolling motor. I wouldn't float down stream with the hopes of getting a moose and then paddling up river with an additional 5-6 hundred pounds on board.

Just trying to get info on that river going towards that Athabasca. Only one way to find out I guess!! lol
Old 05-04-2021, 07:39 PM

Default River

Best of luck, besides what could possibly go wrong.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:34 PM

Take lots of pictures and post the story when u get get done. Always love stories about river floats.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berta-04 View Post

Im planning on having a electric trolling motor. I wouldn't float down stream with the hopes of getting a moose and then paddling up river with an additional 5-6 hundred pounds on board.

Just trying to get info on that river going towards that Athabasca. Only one way to find out I guess!! lol
Your trolling motor is not going to work. More likely just end up more dead weight you are hauling back upriver.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Your trolling motor is not going to work. More likely just end up more dead weight you are hauling back upriver.
You and I both have tried to provide quality advice. OP seems pretty determined to try it his own way. I didn't take advice worth stink when I was young either. I learned a few things the hard way but I also found a way to do all kinds of things most said were impossible. I respect the op for going his own way and look forward to hearing the story and seeing the pictures of the trip.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berta-04 View Post

Run with a gas job, been there dun that about 30 years ago, thee electric won't cut it.
We used my 14'jon and a 20 horse johnson.
Cat
Old 05-06-2021, 07:42 AM

If you have a partner or someone to move your truck, there is a take out on the athabasca down stream of the La Biche Confluence. Drop in at the highway and canoe down to that take out. Not sure the condition of that road anymore.
Wouldn’t bother with the electric, save it for on the lake. In the lazy channels it will drag weeds. In the shallow sections you’ll have it out of the water more than in. If it gets too shallow or if there is a downed tree you’ll need to line or drag/portage some spots and you won’t want to be moving the battery and electric motor .
Old 05-06-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You and I both have tried to provide quality advice. OP seems pretty determined to try it his own way. I didn't take advice worth stink when I was young either. I learned a few things the hard way but I also found a way to do all kinds of things most said were impossible. I respect the op for going his own way and look forward to hearing the story and seeing the pictures of the trip.
LOL, true, people are still telling me my ideas are bad. Then I get back and the term "Hunt of a Lifetime" gets tossed around a bunch, which is not true simply on the fact that I do it every year. So ya, I guess go nuts.

Just in the interest of helping the OP have a fun, safe trip, these two articles are probably the most complete collection of information on the type of hunt he is contemplating that I've run across. Have fun, stay safe, best of luck.

https://www.all-about-moose.com/hunt...m-a-canoe.html

https://www.all-about-moose.com/cano...ing-moose.html
Old 05-06-2021, 10:51 AM

I toured the O&G road that starts near Breynat and heads west a couple years ago. I didn't get very far due to a wash out, but I was able to see the valley is surprisingly steep. Knowing that the portion of the river east of Hwy 63 is rather flat and slow, I can only imagine there is a decent set of rapids to account for the elevation drop.