Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 06:42 AM

Turkeys seem WAY DOWN this winter. Predation is crushing them. Goldens are making a dent!
Old 05-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Well the truck is pointed south . Finally making my way down for some gobblers. Thanks everyone, I am pretty excited. 4.5hrs and it’s turkey time.!!

Cheers.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:46 PM

Hot tip.
Found some hens off of Adanac Rd yesterday morning. Right where the PLUZ starts.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:13 PM

Well I got down here for 1hr and found a nice big Tom chasing hens. Got permission and the rest is history. Beautiful Tom down!!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Well I got down here for 1hr and found a nice big Tom chasing hens. Got permission and the rest is history. Beautiful Tom down!!
Wow! Congrats. That didn't take long.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Pics or it didn't happen

Congrats! One of my favorite hunts!

DR
Old 05-04-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Pics or it didn't happen

Congrats! One of my favorite hunts!

DR
I can’t get photos to upload
Old 05-05-2021, 05:11 AM

Congrats!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 AM

Congrats on your Tom....Nothing to this Turkey hunting hey.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 AM

Congrats I was wondering last nigh that I didn't see any post!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Congrats I was wondering last nigh that I didn't see any post!
Anyone able to upload some pictures for me by chance?
Old 05-05-2021, 08:57 PM

Pics on behalf of Snapshot. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Talking moose; 05-06-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:42 AM

nice work!! great pics!! congratulations! i'll be out looking for a tom again tomorrow👍😊

M
Old 05-06-2021, 04:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well done...hope it is good table fare!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 PM

From now on, everyone will be asking your advice.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
nice work!! great pics!! congratulations! i'll be out looking for a tom again tomorrow👍😊

M
Did you get your gobbler Clarki?

I was drawn this year as well. Lets just say that life hasn't been real cooperative and I really didn't think I'd get to go. Was pretty bummed to say the least. Last thursday it looked like I might get 2 days this week. I'd not been down there at all and considered not even trying. For some reason, out of the blue, I remembered that a friend's brother lived down near Pincher. So I fire him off a text to see if they saw turkeys when he hunted with his bro. He got right back and said that his bro was a bit of a turkey nut who has hunted them there as well as BC and the states. Said to call him ASAP. So I did of course.

He scolded me a bit for waiting so long to contact him but he thot he could spare a couple days this week to take me out! He actually took off work to take someone out that he didn't even know!

I met him at 4:30am Tuesday morning and away we went. We went to a place he had shock called the day before and got a response. We walked in in the dark to a ridge and he was explaining how we would got about setting up. He pointed to the south and said the gobbler had been about 400 yrds out that way yesterday. All of a sudden a gobble broke the silence...in the complete opposite direction and only 150-200yrds away.

We quickly got set up and waited for dawn. The tom never stopped sounding off and we realized that there were multiple toms. Shortly after light we could hear and see them as they came off their roosts. They fooled around a bit and then headed our way. They got to about 80 yrds and then just turned around and went back over the ridge. Man was I disappointed! But they never stopped calling so we sat tight.

Pretty soon they started back our way! But I realized that not only was Jim calling behind me, there was another tom coming from behind me! Man, the woods were full of sound! I could see him maybe 20 yrds away out of the coner of my eye but there was no way I could shoot that direction. BUT he riled up the other ones and here they came! I knew when they crossed a poplar log that they were 38 yrds, well within range. All 7 or 8 of these birds were toms and jakes but I had picked out the one I wanted. He was bird #2 so when they went behind a tree i lined up on the next opening and let #2 have it!

All over by about 6:30 am! What an absolute blast!! We camera hunted the rest of the morning and had another nice tom and jake at 10 yrd for at least 15 minutes at another spot. I'm hooked! Look out BC and Idaho or Montana cause I ain't waiting another 12+ years to do this again!!

I'm no good at pics but would text them to someone if there's a volunteer.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Did you get your gobbler Clarki?

I was drawn this year as well. Lets just say that life hasn't been real cooperative and I really didn't think I'd get to go. Was pretty bummed to say the least. Last thursday it looked like I might get 2 days this week. I'd not been down there at all and considered not even trying. For some reason, out of the blue, I remembered that a friend's brother lived down near Pincher. So I fire him off a text to see if they saw turkeys when he hunted with his bro. He got right back and said that his bro was a bit of a turkey nut who has hunted them there as well as BC and the states. Said to call him ASAP. So I did of course.

He scolded me a bit for waiting so long to contact him but he thot he could spare a couple days this week to take me out! He actually took off work to take someone out that he didn't even know!

I met him at 4:30am Tuesday morning and away we went. We went to a place he had shock called the day before and got a response. We walked in in the dark to a ridge and he was explaining how we would got about setting up. He pointed to the south and said the gobbler had been about 400 yrds out that way yesterday. All of a sudden a gobble broke the silence...in the complete opposite direction and only 150-200yrds away.

We quickly got set up and waited for dawn. The tom never stopped sounding off and we realized that there were multiple toms. Shortly after light we could hear and see them as they came off their roosts. They fooled around a bit and then headed our way. They got to about 80 yrds and then just turned around and went back over the ridge. Man was I disappointed! But they never stopped calling so we sat tight.

Pretty soon they started back our way! But I realized that not only was Jim calling behind me, there was another tom coming from behind me! Man, the woods were full of sound! I could see him maybe 20 yrds away out of the coner of my eye but there was no way I could shoot that direction. BUT he riled up the other ones and here they came! I knew when they crossed a poplar log that they were 38 yrds, well within range. All 7 or 8 of these birds were toms and jakes but I had picked out the one I wanted. He was bird #2 so when they went behind a tree i lined up on the next opening and let #2 have it!

All over by about 6:30 am! What an absolute blast!! We camera hunted the rest of the morning and had another nice tom and jake at 10 yrd for at least 15 minutes at another spot. I'm hooked! Look out BC and Idaho or Montana cause I ain't waiting another 12+ years to do this again!!

I'm no good at pics but would text them to someone if there's a volunteer.
comgratulations! i'm still looking to get mine. might get out again tomorrow

M
Old 05-15-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I see that after tracking and studying these turkeys for 16 years you've accumulated quite the wealth of knowledge on their locations and habitat
Care to give some advice on hunting turkey in the Porcupine Hills or west of Pincher Creek rather than a pointless put down?
Old 05-15-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post

Pics on behalf of Snapshot. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

DR
Beautiful bird, mine an issue with some tail feathers missing lol. One of the most exciting things to hunt. I equate it with elk hunting for the calling skills and the physical endurance.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:26 AM

Congrats on it coming together so soon Snapshot, beautiful bird!!
Old 05-18-2021, 05:26 PM

And another successful Alberta turkey hunt posted for Bearb8er.

Congrats!!