Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Who may desire to ban me go ahead, this is a cut and post from Facebook, credibility 0. And from April 27, and nowhere saying said garrow is speaking on her own. Maybe I need a Snickers but I have a life, I deal in facts and reality. Any urbunites showing up at my place please wear nametags.
See ya.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I don’t hunt that specific area, but not that far out.

Allow buying a general antlered tag to people who are drawn for an antlerless tag. I know many people, myself including, who would happily shoot a bull and a cow every single year. I don’t want two cows, because I want to hunt a bull, but I would gladly take a cow in addition to the bull.

I ran into both type of landowners, some allowing access (selectively, obviously) and others complaining about wildlife and hunters asking permission.

Or flip it where guys hunting bull on a general tag in the earlier season, and unsuccessful, can purchase an undersubscribed cow tag for the later seasons. In the zones I hunt in the general area of the one being mentioned I believe there were 500+ undersubscribed cow tags available at end of draw day. Im ok with limiting hunters to one elk per season but shutting the undersubscribed cow opportunities down to non harvesting bull hunters seems a bit silly.

One gentleman landowner that gives us permission for early season bull has major issues with elk coming in close in December/January and feeding at his horse corrals. With no tag hunters available he calls the closest band office and lets a group on his property to cull cow elk within 300yds of his residence. It literally is shooting fish in a barrel and I'd be more than willing to be there if I was allowed a tag by F&W.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Peter is a good man!

Theres about 500 Huttertite Peter's in that area selling everything from tires to leather goods.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:49 AM

Default elk

Bull, excellent post, well thought out solutions to the elk problem. PS I was worried with a handle like Bull __ that your post would be one of the other kind.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
yes every stranger tells you they know your neighbors or grew up close by, what a crap,

I have helped f & w prosecute folks from wild tv submitters who put up tree stands and cameras on my 80 acres by the hiway,
they only phoned after my neighbor who had permission to bow hunt caught them and took pics of them, their trucks and cameras and tree stands
what jerks

I deal with trespassers every year,
folks on the last day,parked illlegally in my field with the window open wanting permission with a moose in their scope, caught them by breton as I was driving to Leduc when they called, cops thought that was funny when they showed up

a lot of hunters are scum

and guys get upset a lot when you deny them permission

paid hunting on my,land,would be ok, then I make a few bucks and maybe get real hunters who might respect the land and remove the animal for proper crop management

Too funny, but not very, re the Wild TV host infractions. I know of one whose name every member here would recognize who has a penchant for putting locks on gates to other landowner grazing leases come Nov. 1. He's not too fond of guys cutting his locks and driving by his tree stands at first light honking the horn apparently.

You're 100% correct regarding slob hunters though. It gets worse every year too. Unfortunately a lot of landowners point fingers at the "city boys" and while there's certainly enough of that happening it's been my experience that in the vast majority of cases the perpetrators can be traced to residences within a 50km radius. Farms and towns. Seems a lot of folks don't have as much respect for their neighbours land as they'd like for their own.

I've in-person asked for and been given permission to land after 2-3 years of requesting it and being turned down. When a landowner sees you a time or 2 and realizes you're civil and serious it can go a long ways. I don't blame them one iota for turning down first requests when they have no clue who you are. Especially when the ask comes via phone. Only time I do that is well before season start and only to ask for the opportunity to meet face to face.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Or flip it where guys hunting bull on a general tag in the earlier season, and unsuccessful, can purchase an undersubscribed cow tag for the later seasons. In the zones I hunt in the general area of the one being mentioned I believe there were 500+ undersubscribed cow tags available at end of draw day. Im ok with limiting hunters to one elk per season but shutting the undersubscribed cow opportunities down to non harvesting bull hunters seems a bit silly.

One gentleman landowner that gives us permission for early season bull has major issues with elk coming in close in December/January and feeding at his horse corrals. With no tag hunters available he calls the closest band office and lets a group on his property to cull cow elk within 300yds of his residence. It literally is shooting fish in a barrel and I'd be more than willing to be there if I was allowed a tag by F&W.
Yep, same here. 100’s of undersubscribed tags for the winter months. Never understood why a guy with a general tag isn’t allowed to get one (even he did successfully harvest a bull earlier). Surely both, hunters and landowners (and biologists, I would think), would appreciate it those tags being actually sold and filled. There is a reason that many tags were issued to begin with.