Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 09:16 AM

Default Leduc Reservoir

Fished the Leduc reservoir for a couple hours yesterday. No sign of anything. My question is, has anyone ever had any luck here before they stock it? Just wondering if any make it through the winter or if they all winter kill. Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:50 AM

Default Late fall

I have had lots of fishing there with no luck, one late fall day I did catch about 9 trouts, 14-18” so I would say they survive at least sometimes, not many trouts get 18” in the first year being stocked. It is a strange water for sure.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:01 PM

I don't think the Leduc res winterkills. There are 2 areas that are at least 25 feet deep. I think the cormorants pick up lots of the trout. I believe it was in 2018 or 2019 they stocked a few brood stock trout there too so there might be a big one or two to be had. The north end of the reservoir closest to hwy 39 has good depth and on the inside of the dog leg is deep.

Not a lot of insect life yet so hardware might be worth a try. Spinners usually work good for trout when the ice is first off.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-28-2021, 09:26 AM

The Leduc res is a funny spot. They typically stock it every year with a lot of trout, but I have never caught anything out of it. Never seen a fish jump. No signs of life.
Let us know if you catch anything, cause I would try again. I avoid the place now because seems like a waste of time for some weird reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk