Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-04-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Landowner permission can be tough, usually when people have had enough problems they get mad and shut down hunting to everyone or limit it only to people they know. Every stranger that knocks on the door will tell you they are a good guy even if they aren’t. People just have enough after a point. I have 2 quarters across the road from my house, every year I have some sort of stuff go on, deer poached, moose poached, fence taken down, people driving in fields, found a tree stand with trail cam and bait one fall. This is right by my house, what would it be like if the land was miles away? Probably a total free for all?
yes every stranger tells you they know your neighbors or grew up close by, what a crap,

I have helped f & w prosecute folks from wild tv submitters who put up tree stands and cameras on my 80 acres by the hiway,
they only phoned after my neighbor who had permission to bow hunt caught them and took pics of them, their trucks and cameras and tree stands
what jerks

I deal with trespassers every year,
folks on the last day,parked illlegally in my field with the window open wanting permission with a moose in their scope, caught them by breton as I was driving to Leduc when they called, cops thought that was funny when they showed up

a lot of hunters are scum

and guys get upset a lot when you deny them permission

paid hunting on my,land,would be ok, then I make a few bucks and maybe get real hunters who might respect the land and remove the animal for proper crop management
Old 05-04-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
That’s true, I walk miles and sometimes I even get an animal doing that

I wonder if a late season draw that comes with 2 or 3 tags and costs a “bit” more would work? The extra money from the tag sales could go into a fund to help the landowners. It would be nice if that fund was only available to landowners who allow hunting, but there isn’t much manpower hired by the province to be able to administer that.

The late season draw in 212 started out very well organized by F&W, it came with a map of willing landowners who would allow hunting. I’ve shot a few elk there, and done my part to eat my way through the problem.

It always boils down to access though. It’s frustrating to have secured good permissions then watch the elk in a spot were you don’t have access. Landowner cooperation and ethical hunters are a necessary combination.
And that's the thing, especially with elk and private land. The government could give out an infinite amount of tags and have little to no impact.

Ties into that old saying. Hunt where the game is, not where you think it should be, or want it to be.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:13 PM

With elk you can kill more with a few good hunters than you can by saturating the area with a large group that don't know how to hunt.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:14 PM

Default Curious

Would it help if they started a either sex tag in those zones ? Like Elk water used to have,then a hunter could take a cow if no legal bull found, just curious
Old 05-04-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Would it help if they started a either sex tag in those zones ? Like Elk water used to have,then a hunter could take a cow if no legal bull found, just curious
Absolutely, if lowering the numbers is the plan let them shoot a cow.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Old 05-04-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
That makes so much sense no politician will let it happen.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post
There are hunt farms for guys like yourself willing to pay for "land owner" elk. Cull cows are cheap, might be right in your wheel house.

You will never convince enough private land owner to open their lands to eliminate the sanctuaries many provide for all species.

Jim
You need to get out more
If I was just out to kill animals I would be applying for antlerless tags
There’s many different ways to skin a cat
Landowner permits work well in many states
It would essential be very similar to outfitter allocations
The current system isn’t working
It needs to evolve with the changing landscape of what is needed to manage wildlife populations
Giving a few bucks to farmers who have to deal with all of the bs that’s associated with people chasing “free” wildlife, to me, is pretty fair
Old 05-04-2021, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
This seems like the best idea
Buy a general tag, you can still get an over the counter antlerless tag also
Make it cheaper too if you want
Old 05-05-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You need to get out more
It needs to evolve with the changing landscape of what is needed to manage wildlife populations
Giving a few bucks to farmers who have to deal with all of the bs that’s associated with people chasing “free” wildlife, to me, is pretty fair
“A few bucks” in the states that’s thousands for a hunt. If you like that type of hunting just head south of the border.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:25 AM

We ALREADY have paid hunting in Alberta.

I’ve recently purchased a quarter of land to hunt the north country. I am not alone. The ranchers I spend time with are seeing more and more land being purchased by recreational users- namely, hunters. I will hazard an educated guess that these chunks of land will see less permission granted than from Joe Rancher.

There’s no easy solution, and I’m not offering one. But paid access is happening already wether we like it or not.

Food for thought.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A lot of the farmers I know will flat out tell you they don’t have “elk” problems they have “elk hunter” problems. One farmer had a WT doe shot and left in his driveway, a spike elk shot and left at the gate of a pasture, and another young raghorn gut shot and left to die in the middle of his field. Fences cut across the land in January by “cow elk” hunters on ski-doos, etc. It is no wonder many say no. Thanks to some of the above antics, I have had to find new places to go because the landowners have just had enough and it’s easier to deal with the elk than the hunters.

LC
I am actually quite surprised at how much permission is granted from Ranchers and Farmers alike. To put up with all the garbage that comes with letting complete strangers access your land (usually with nothing to gain from it other than headache) is truly outstanding and should be commended.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I am actually quite surprised at how much permission is granted from Ranchers and Farmers alike. To put up with all the garbage that comes with letting complete strangers access your land (usually with nothing to gain from it other than headache) is truly outstanding and should be commended.
Agreed. With nothing to gain and lots to lose I wonder why they bother.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
“A few bucks” in the states that’s thousands for a hunt. If you like that type of hunting just head south of the border.
No it’s not
Have you gone and done it?
I have... so unless you have real experience. I’d stick to the sidelines
My hunting season in alberta is 90% poacher prevention and 10% actual hunting
Hunting in alberta could be so much better than it is, if we didn’t have so many people with nothing invested. Complaining about actually contributing something to the whole process
Old 05-05-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
No it’s not
Have you gone and done it?
I have... so unless you have real experience. I’d stick to the sidelines
My hunting season in alberta is 90% poacher prevention and 10% actual hunting
Hunting in alberta could be so much better than it is, if we didn’t have so many people with nothing invested. Complaining about actually contributing something to the whole process
It’s a slippery slope though man. Maybe today it’s $250 for a trespass fee in Wyoming for a goat. Then 50 years from now only the elite are affording the privilege of hunting private land.

Is getting permission even a problem? I hunt across the four corners of the province and never have much trouble gaining access. Even here in Strathcona County. I’ve often wondered why guys struggled with it so hard. A little respect and understanding goes a long way
Old 05-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
You need to get out more
Actually I get out enough and have more than enough experience in the hunting industry and field.

Our current system isn't the best for everyone, but it certainly isn't broken.

You keep mentioning giving a couple bucks to a farmer, do you really understand the complications this would create ? If said person did get a couple of these tags, how would they work ? Only good on "that" deeded land or for the whole WMU ? If it was per parcel, well the fella shelling out money would probably expect sole permission, I would.... This would limit and actually restrict a pile of access right ?

Now if these tags were WMU open, don't you think every land owner in that particular WMU should be eligible for these tags then ? Obviously they couldn't give everyone these tags, so we are back to per parcel...

Currently land owners that allow access are exempt to an extent on liability due to the recreationalist asking to access these lands. Insert land owner selling tags and inviting recreationalist to harvest with weapon, here lies the problem... Liability falls on the land owner as this becomes a business transaction and our general commercial liability does NOT cover discharging weapons... I know this for a fact, I went down this road and it is an eye opener, there are not a lot of insurance providers willing to insure sporting activities involving weapons. Feel free to contact a few and see if your idealism of a couple bucks would be enough to even provide coverage for the owner of these tags.

So, access will be limited even more and the elite will be provided increased opportunity, so this is what you want our current system to evolve too ?

Jim
Old 05-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Actually I get out enough and have more than enough experience in the hunting industry and field.

Our current system isn't the best for everyone, but it certainly isn't broken.

You keep mentioning giving a couple bucks to a farmer, do you really understand the complications this would create ? If said person did get a couple of these tags, how would they work ? Only good on "that" deeded land or for the whole WMU ? If it was per parcel, well the fella shelling out money would probably expect sole permission, I would.... This would limit and actually restrict a pile of access right ?

Now if these tags were WMU open, don't you think every land owner in that particular WMU should be eligible for these tags then ? Obviously they couldn't give everyone these tags, so we are back to per parcel...

Currently land owners that allow access are exempt to an extent on liability due to the recreationalist asking to access these lands. Insert land owner selling tags and inviting recreationalist to harvest with weapon, here lies the problem... Liability falls on the land owner as this becomes a business transaction and our general commercial liability does NOT cover discharging weapons... I know this for a fact, I went down this road and it is an eye opener, there are not a lot of insurance providers willing to insure sporting activities involving weapons. Feel free to contact a few and see if your idealism of a couple bucks would be enough to even provide coverage for the owner of these tags.

So, access will be limited even more and the elite will be provided increased opportunity, so this is what you want our current system to evolve too ?

Jim
Why would a landowners permit, extend past the land of person who would issued the permit???
In the current structure, if your a landowner and give permission to people to hunt on your land. Your liable if something happens

Our current system needs a total revamp
From the draw system
To the requirements to be a resident
To the cwd situation
Etc
Incentivizing landowners to open up opportunities to people that are willing to meet their terms is another option
Elk travel a long ways, it takes only a couple land owners to protect the herds and all other measures are pointless
No one would be forcing you to participate. If you don’t want to pay, I’m sure there’s farmers that would allow you to hunt their land for free. Or you can stick to hunting your own land or crown land...
Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 AM

Tough situation, but there is a reason why some landowners call elk “ loser magnets”. They have had to deal with a lot.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Why would a landowners permit, extend past the land of person who would issued the permit???
In the current structure, if your a landowner and give permission to people to hunt on your land. Your liable if something happens

Our current system needs a total revamp
From the draw system
To the requirements to be a resident
To the cwd situation
Etc
Incentivizing landowners to open up opportunities to people that are willing to meet their terms is another option
Elk travel a long ways, it takes only a couple land owners to protect the herds and all other measures are pointless
No one would be forcing you to participate. If you don’t want to pay, I’m sure there’s farmers that would allow you to hunt their land for free. Or you can stick to hunting your own land or crown land...
You clearly are unaware of the liability of access here in Alberta.

The Alberta Occupiers’ Liability Act largely exempts rural lands from liability to recreational users when no payment is made to the owner by the user. The Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island legislation is nearly as broad, differing from Alberta only in detail. Among the provinces that have addressed recreational use, only Manitoba has significantly limited the scope of its legislation which applies only to recreational trails.

Jim
Old 05-05-2021, 10:12 AM

any progress on the original question by the op?
Old 05-05-2021, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
You clearly are unaware of the liability of access here in Alberta.

The Alberta Occupiers’ Liability Act largely exempts rural lands from liability to recreational users when no payment is made to the owner by the user. The Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island legislation is nearly as broad, differing from Alberta only in detail. Among the provinces that have addressed recreational use, only Manitoba has significantly limited the scope of its legislation which applies only to recreational trails.

Jim
You have faith in our Justice system?
Old 05-05-2021, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
You have faith in our Justice system?
Enough that myself and thousands more allow access for recreational purposes here in Alberta.

Enjoy your day.

Jim
Old 05-05-2021, 10:35 AM

hope some have contacted op to help with the county making some progress

sorry for my derail along with others
Old 05-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Default Fair enough but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Ok. Good job. You boys ****ed off this farmer this morning. Two can play this game. How about this:
Hunter “Can I go hunt your land?”
Farmer “Sure but your the 12th guy to ask”
Hunter “Ok Thanks”

One week later hunter calls up farmer
“You’re a f&#&$n a&#$#&#e because you let other guys in. They got elk and now there gone. I can only hunt Friday afternoons from 2-3. Boo hoo!”
Or
“You let an outfitter hunt too. That makes you a no good piece of s*$t”
Don’t think it happens? Cause it does.

Ok so fair enough you got a point. But here is the thing about that. People hunt on my families land each year, but we know when to say “no”. If you have 12 people wanting to hunt on your land tell some of them no. It is not safe to allow so many people out hunting on your property like that (someone is bound to shoot someone and you will get in trouble because you gave them permitted them to hunt). Set a limit say you only want 3 people or something hunting on your land. As the land owner it is your job to ensure the protection of the people you allow hunt.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:56 AM

So as it turns out, this has nothing to do with Saddle Hills County, they didn't even know about this till the switch board lit up like Christmas. The Councillor quoted by the paper, Elaine Garrow, is actually a councillor for the MD of Spirit River. NO ONE at the County of Saddlehills is pushing for an elk cull though they are working on a population survey. There has also been no consultation with landowners in either County about this and the measures to take if the numbers are an issue. This is one Councillor going off half cocked based on talking to a couple of people.

This wasn't even run up the flag pole within the County of Spirit River before she went to the paper, this is the lone crusade of Councillor Elaine Garrow. You may wish to phone her and express your views if you own land or spend a lot of time in Saddle Hills or Spirit River. Her contact info;
email is

egarrow@mdspiritriver.ab.ca

780-765-2134 Direct phone number.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-05-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Enough that myself and thousands more allow access for recreational purposes here in Alberta.

Enjoy your day.

Jim

I agree and good for you. I think Mark is usually a pretty reasonable guy, that last comment is really just petulance. Mark hunts all over the world so has a somewhat unique perspective to the average hunter and landowners.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:

Enjoy your day.

Jim
All I’m doing is making suggestions. It works elsewhere, and I wouldn’t have suggested it. If I didn’t think it could help somewhat in this situation
Old 05-05-2021, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I agree and good for you. I think Mark is usually a pretty reasonable guy, that last comment is really just petulance. Mark hunts all over the world so has a somewhat unique perspective to the average hunter and landowners.
Many of us hunt the globe, myself included in this demographic. The perspective I have gathered with my experiences is we do not want the elite to win over the common man in regards to our passion.

Quote:
All I’m doing is making suggestions. It works elsewhere, and I wouldn’t have suggested it. If I didn’t think it could help somewhat in this situation
I hope I never see the day where Wildlife here in Alberta is for sale....

Jim
Old 05-05-2021, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Many of us hunt the globe, myself included in this demographic. The perspective I have gathered with my experiences is we do not want the elite to win over the common man in regards to our passion.

I hope I never see the day where Wildlife here in Alberta is for sale....

Jim
I’m not seeing how the “elite” would be winning in this situation?
This would be for cow elk tags... not bull tags

Right now as a Canadian resident, I can buy allocations and hunt them here every year
This is far more “equal” than that
Old 05-05-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So as it turns out, this has nothing to do with Saddle Hills County, they didn't even know about this till the switch board lit up like Christmas. The Councillor quoted by the paper, Elaine Garrow, is actually a councillor for the MD of Spirit River. NO ONE at the County of Saddlehills is pushing for an elk cull though they are working on a population survey. There has also been no consultation with landowners in either County about this and the measures to take if the numbers are an issue. This is one Councillor going off half cocked based on talking to a couple of people.

This wasn't even run up the flag pole within the County of Spirit River before she went to the paper, this is the lone crusade of Councillor Elaine Garrow. You may wish to phone her and express your views if you own land or spend a lot of time in Saddle Hills or Spirit River. Her contact info;
email is

egarrow@mdspiritriver.ab.ca

780-765-2134 Direct phone number.
Spirit River 133 is not a county its a md ffs. And borders saddle hills to the west and birch hills to the east.